Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

I went to one of the Snider and Jack Ingram shows at Devil’s Backbone a couple weeks ago. So great. Mostly just telling stories and occasionally they’d throw a song in. 

That was a blast.  He dispelled some of the myths that he has created around his songs though which I found a little sad though.  He said "Miss Vergie didn't really say 'Fuck Luckenbach, drink with us.'"

I would rather believe the legend than the truth.  Next he is going to tell me Skip didn't yell at the band to play a train song.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

887f1ac47c5d5e8d585b1ce02ea284c4.jpg

Isbell at Innings Festival in Tempe Saturday. Great show, not full headline set though.

On a related note, also caught Whiskey Meyers. Knew nothing about them but they were great. Southern rock, 2 drummers, and 3 guitar players. What’s not to love.

I went last year.  That's a perfect sized festival.  Only negative was almost everything on Mill was closed by the time it ended Sunday night.  It was hard to find a place to get a drink and wait for uber to calm down.

3 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

That was a blast.  He dispelled some of the myths that he has created around his songs though which I found a little sad though.  He said "Miss Vergie didn't really say 'Fuck Luckenbach, drink with us.'"

I would rather believe the legend than the truth.  Next he is going to tell me Skip didn't yell at the band to play a train song.

I'm not ready for that, man.

On 2/25/2020 at 6:14 PM, 4th&Five said:

Do you think Sturgill is getting better? The Sunday Valley record and his first 2 under his name are my favorites by far. 

Couldn't agree more. His last album had me like WTF. I understand the need to explore different sounds but at least make it listenable. 

On 3/2/2020 at 10:21 AM, tbone_ said:

887f1ac47c5d5e8d585b1ce02ea284c4.jpg

Isbell at Innings Festival in Tempe Saturday. Great show, not full headline set though.

On a related note, also caught Whiskey Meyers. Knew nothing about them but they were great. Southern rock, 2 drummers, and 3 guitar players. What’s not to love.

how long you going to hold onto that motorola razr?

20 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Couldn't agree more. His last album had me like WTF. I understand the need to explore different sounds but at least make it listenable. 

I love the last album.  It's no where near country but its a jam. My only gripe would be that the vocal could be made clearer and I would have preferred him to put some more of his soul into it.  His best moments are when he really belts it out from the bottom but he just doesn't do it enough in my opinion.  Looks like he is playing it in its entirety on the tour.  Can't wait.

20 minutes ago, Zwylde said:

I love the last album.  It's no where near country but its a jam. My only gripe would be that the vocal could be made clearer and I would have preferred him to put some more of his soul into it.  His best moments are when he really belts it out from the bottom but he just doesn't do it enough in my opinion.  Looks like he is playing it in its entirety on the tour.  Can't wait.

I just can't get into it, but that's probably just me yearning for his Sunday Valley sound that I'll likely never hear again. 

22 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Did a search and nothing came up so I apologize if this guy's been mentioned, but I've been wearing out this album the last couple of months. Dude can croon with the best of em.

Here is a version of him doing it solo, before he even had a name for it.  I like this version better.  He sings 'truer' and the production is better than that 'gloss' they swamped it with on the studio version.  I first heard of him when he opened for Rhett Miller.

40 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

I know it’s a bit older, but my god man.

He's absolutely aces when it comes to album openers.  Literally every single solo album he's released has a great song kicking it off.

As much as I rag on the post-Southeastern output, I love "If it Takes a Lifetime" and "Last of My Kind".

8 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Here is a version of him doing it solo, before he even had a name for it.  I like this version better.  He sings 'truer' and the production is better than that 'gloss' they swamped it with on the studio version.  I first heard of him when he opened for Rhett Miller.

I've watched all that I can if him live and agree it sounds sensational. I'm gonna try and catch a show as soon as I can.

1 hour ago, bluto said:

“And I thought that I was running to but I was running from” is really strong shit but is just another line in that song

I've always got a kick out of "working for the county keeps me pissing clear".  It's such a believable character sketch.  I know that guy, ya know?

On 3/4/2020 at 2:45 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

I've always got a kick out of "working for the county keeps me pissing clear".  It's such a believable character sketch.  I know that guy, ya know?

I read a review of an Isbell album that said he is a very efficient songwriter, and that hit the nail on the head.  So many examples like the above.  He can take one line in a song and paint you a picture of a person without actually describing them.  I always think of the line "...and bitch about the weekend crowd" from Elephant as a very efficient way of showing you who these people are.

• Like 1

The YouTube comments (all positive at writing of this post)...I can’t decide if my sarcasm meter is broken, someone is deleting negative feedback, or there are a lot of brainwashed isbell fans that eat up any and everything he throw’s against the wall

He could fart into the mic and it would get good reviews

Not sure if this is the best thread or not, but I'm loving the early tracks coming out from the upcoming American Aquarium album.  Jason produced their breakthrough "Burn.Flicker.Die" and I'm sure he was a big inspiration for BJ Barham in getting sober.

Anyone who hasn't seen a show at Preservation Hall needs to go.  Of course, it will be a while, but put it on your bucket list.  I think I paid something like $180 for four front-row tickets, and it was an absolute treat.  Great players, great room, and you're literally within arm's reach of the whole band.  The room itself is probably smaller than the Cactus Cafe.

And on a down note, one of their regulars tested positive for coronavirus the other day.  I can't find the news clip right now -- he's one of their tuba/sousaphone players.