Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

I've had Charley Crockett's album "Welcome to Hard Times" on non-stop this weekend.

Many of the songs sound alike, but I love it so far.

CC is perfect background/chill music and I mean that as a total compliment. Most lyrics don’t require or demand active listening (quite a few are covers), none of his songs I’ve heard have lengthy instrumentals or dragged out openings/closings, it’s just damn smooth like setting cruise control at 80 on an open highway.

For anyone interested in the Isbell world who is not already subscribed to Amanda’s YouTube channel, she and Jason are doing live-streams with a better better sounding setup than the time around. They are also joined my Peter Levin on keys. Great stuff and fun banter. Good folks, and Amanda as easy on the eyes as she is the ears. 

31 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

JT does a good job. Listen to the Charlie Sexton one if you want to hear what it was like growing up with Townes as a dad. The Bingham ep is good too. 

I've listened to the Bingham episode.  It's great.  I'm driving to Junction tomorrow, I'll check out the Charlie Sexton episode. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/14/2020 at 4:15 PM, hullabelew said:

This song blew me away from the very first time I heard it. 

Funny dude, kinda shy, he comes over and golfs occasionally with Wade Bowen's road manager.

Anybody a Josh Weathers fan? Has some of the best pipes of anyone I have heard:

He starts singing at about 1:15. Does awesome covers as well, good youtube rathole to go down.

CHIEF

On 8/17/2020 at 4:45 AM, bluto said:

CC is perfect background/chill music and I mean that as a total compliment. Most lyrics don’t require or demand active listening (quite a few are covers), none of his songs I’ve heard have lengthy instrumentals or dragged out openings/closings, it’s just damn smooth like setting cruise control at 80 on an open highway.

This is a great summary and puts in to words what I’ve been thinking but couldn’t.

I’ve listened to Hard Times more times than I can remember over the past couple of weeks and almost embarrassed at how trite some of the lyrics are... but then hooked on the next song and before I know, have listened to the whole album again. 

On 8/16/2020 at 8:39 PM, smoky said:

I've had Charley Crockett's album "Welcome to Hard Times" on non-stop this weekend.

Many of the songs sound alike, but I love it so far.

I love Charlie Crockett... I was super bummed I missed him at heights theater a few months ago if for nothing else than he does some of the b st covers of old school texas country 

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Viper said:

he released a video explaining it too. I didn't realize he was 6 months sober.

I never realized he had a drug or alcohol problem (seemed like he was kind of an advocate in the past), but it seems more musicians are sober than aren't these days.  Which I get, given the job.  I've always equated booze and weed to the live music experience, but for me going to a show is something that happens a few times a year, and I'm planning around it.  It's not my freaking job - it's the total opposite.  The older I get, the more I can see where it would be a massive struggle to not just get fucked up every night when you're playing music for a living, and realistically if you do it long enough 90% of people have two choices:  quit altogether, or die young.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

also just to keep the Tyler Childers topic going, I found a video of him being invited up on stage by Ray Wylie Hubbard back in 2013 back when he was an unknown. It's pretty funny reading the comments

Ronnie Mullins6 years ago

How come this guy isn't a star! Smokes 90% of mainstream music!

Hide 12 replies

Justin Cox2 years ago

He smokes 100% percent of mainstream.

Dan Power1 year ago

Because everyone wants to suck that Nashville c*ck. God forbid we get to hear real music.

Day Van1 year ago

5 years later, he is selling out everywhere. a Legend in the Making

Patrick Jeffreys1 year ago

Well, he is now!

Travis1 year ago

Well this comment aged very well!

24 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I never realized he had a drug or alcohol problem (seemed like he was kind of an advocate in the past), but it seems more musicians are sober than aren't these days.  Which I get, given the job.  I've always equated booze and weed to the live music experience, but for me going to a show is something that happens a few times a year, and I'm planning around it.  It's not my freaking job - it's the total opposite.  The older I get, the more I can see where it would be a massive struggle to not just get fucked up every night when you're playing music for a living, and realistically if you do it long enough 90% of people have two choices:  quit altogether, or die young.

didn't realize he had a problem either, though I wondered... it definitely seemed like he was trying to give voice to the stories of Appalachian people, which is going to involve a lot of moonshine and drugs, but I had wondered how much he was living that.  My couple cents on musicians/artists and addiction - I think there are some professions/passions that attract people that have the "peculiar mental twist" associated with addiction/alcoholism, and artists are in that mix along with cops and lawyers and a fair number of other types of work. I absolutely agree, probably with any "not 9-5" type work but especially with live music, that being a musician really puts you in the environment to rapidly incubate the sickness.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 7:46 PM, Celery Man said:

Man i've listened to the Live from Alabama album a million times and I finally looked up where the performance was. Two nights, one of which was at the Workplay Theater in Birmingham, which is fucking rad to me because I played on that stage in 2013.

I always assumed that was recorded at the Alabama Theater.  How were the acoustics in Workplay?  Was Alan Hunter a part of that at the time?  

taped at workplay and also crossroads in huntsville.  i doubt he could fill the theater back then.

the only show i've seen at workplay was cooley solo in late 2011.  fucking amazing.  he obviously lives there so brought out some guitars he wouldn't travel with.  also, cottonseed on the banjo was great. seeing him pull up in a mini van with antlers on it sort of destroyed the badass myth a bit. haha...

i got to see mmj at the al theater on 4/20 and it was pretty awesome.  some cool venues in b-ham.

6 hours ago, hullabelew said:

I always assumed that was recorded at the Alabama Theater.  How were the acoustics in Workplay?  Was Alan Hunter a part of that at the time?  

I recall it being a very cool looking and... I think a pretty live room. Not sure about Alan Hunter. I remember hanging out on the loading dock with the guy running the show, and him talking about how it was a cool space but it was hard to get bigger acts to come to Alabama. I was all fuzzy that day from being incredibly drunk at a wedding in Nacogdoches the night before. We somehow... stopped to take showers at the house of one of the guys from Hot Rod Circuit, and he came backstage and rolled a joint in the green room that we were passing around, and the singer for Motion City Soundtrack (who is sober, also a cool guy - I feel bad about that) came in, stopped, and left. That was our first night on that tour and we had to do damage control to make things cool again. It was funny because the other act was Relient K, who have a huge Christian audience (and are actually a surprisingly great band) and they were cracking up and later inviting us to hang out in various tucked away places to burn one.

I have a recording of Isbell at the Alabama theater because it came with this shirt that I thought was cool

EdyME95XkAEgdsJ.png

Also a pretty good set. Love "Go it Alone" from that recording. But the older Live from Alabama album - Goddamn Lonely Love, Danko/Manuel, and geez I finally went and listened to the studio version of "The Blue" and it's not nearly the perfect beach song as the live version. Love that recording.

• Hook 'Em 1