Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

Bought tickets today for Jason Isbell at Red Rocks on August 1. I know he's coming to Austin right after that but it's going to feel really good getting out of the Texas heat. And this will be my first time seeing him live after two aborted attempts. Here's hoping third time's a charm.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 6/9/2021 at 7:46 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

McMurtry coming in off the top rope.

In case you hadn’t seen, He’s been playing shows on Facebook live every Wednesday and Sunday.   Not quite the Gallery Room but I’ve enjoyed tuning in here and there.  Has been sampling a lot of the new album.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

used to be "wow i bet this isbell album will be great" and now it's "maybe there will be a couple decent songs". 

Slow clap. I tried Listening to “Reunions” recently. It still mostly sucks. I like “It Gets Easier” and “Only Children” and that’s it.

On 6/11/2021 at 2:17 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

I’ve been digging The Vandoliers lately. This is the best new song I’ve heard this year, with the possible exception of that McMurtry song.

Forever is a great album through and through. I don't care for their previous stuff as much, but that one is really solid

On 6/11/2021 at 3:17 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

I’ve been digging The Vandoliers lately. This is the best new song I’ve heard this year, with the possible exception of that McMurtry song.

Damn, Bruce is doing some fantastic stuff right now.  He is realizing something that he talked to be about a LONG time ago.   He initially built that Premier Studio but had to sell it but he is really making this stuff work now.  

On 6/6/2021 at 6:32 PM, Art Vandelay said:

Bought tickets today for Jason Isbell at Red Rocks on August 1. I know he's coming to Austin right after that but it's going to feel really good getting out of the Texas heat. And this will be my first time seeing him live after two aborted attempts. Here's hoping third time's a charm.

I decided to go that show instead of one of the Austin shows. So excited to see them at Red Rocks with Lucinda opening. This will my high school aged kids first show at Red Rocks. It’s pretty cool to have this experience with them at a place where I’ve been making it a priority to travel from Texas to see bands since I was their age. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Having trouble finding it on Youtube, but Sturgill performed "House of the Rising Sun" with the National Symphony Orchestra for Joan Baez's Kennedy Center Honors a few weeks back.

It's phenomenal.

Best I can do is share the link to the whole broadcast from CBS and tell you to fast forward to timestamp 26:40.

Do the work to watch it.  It's worth it.

Watch Kennedy Center Honors Season 2021: The 43rd Annual Kennedy Center Honors - Full show on CBS

Having trouble finding it on Youtube, but Sturgill performed "House of the Rising Sun" with the National Symphony Orchestra for Joan Baez's Kennedy Center Honors a few weeks back.
It's phenomenal.
Best I can do is share the link to the whole broadcast from CBS and tell you to fast forward to timestamp 26:40.
Do the work to watch it.  It's worth it.

Watch Kennedy Center Honors Season 2021: The 43rd Annual Kennedy Center Honors - Full show on CBS

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CPzNTwbhKTR/?utm_medium=copy_link
  • Hook 'Em 1

I heard a guy named Rob Baird on local radio last night, broadcasting from Guero's.  He was fantastic.  Somewhere between Steve Earle and Red Dirt.  Terrific voice, strong lyrics, and his guitarist absolutely smoked.

The songs on his website are older than what I heard, and frankly not as strong.  Anyone know anything about him?  Apparently he's done some pretty big tours, so it's probably just me who's out of the loop.

Rob Baird

On 7/8/2021 at 10:51 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I heard a guy named Rob Baird on local radio last night, broadcasting from Guero's.  He was fantastic.  Somewhere between Steve Earle and Red Dirt.  Terrific voice, strong lyrics, and his guitarist absolutely smoked.

The songs on his website are older than what I heard, and frankly not as strong.  Anyone know anything about him?  Apparently he's done some pretty big tours, so it's probably just me who's out of the loop.

Rob Baird

Have followed him for almost ten years now.  We actually paid him to play at a party in college- was surely the worst gig of his career.

I loved his Blue Eyed Angels album and haven’t felt like anything since has compared other than a few songs (Dreams and Gasoline, Can’t Stop Running).  I really thought he was going to take off but never seemed to happen for whatever reason.

He puts on a pretty good show - has some good stories he will share on the origins of a few songs.  Not hard to catch in Austin… seems like he plays a few times a year at Antones and Saxon Pub.

Edited by 40acredropout