Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

Surprised it hasn’t been posted here but Sturgill ruptured his vocal chords. No idea how long you’re out for after that but that’s how long he’s out for.
I really want an Isbell record that sounds like A Sailor’s Guide to Earth 

Damn. That sounds not fun.

On 9/25/2021 at 10:01 PM, Seasick Sailor said:

Just bought tickets to see McMurtry in a couple of weeks. It'll be my first show since the before times.  

pjgd2rTG9hcYxjv-AKHqUWLPtMosbsQ4L8oroWq5Dy4ZdJiaOC3gGvoi35xFEEkQ_WRncqhvbVW6DL0nY7Q7X_0WtZqIZxwfXdpvtQqiSfVOTVta0BEiWjmoVA6908NPDuj-KfdD=s0

James McMurtry 10/9/21 Setlist

Bayou Tortous

Red Dress

Just Us Kids

Copper Canteen

Canola Fields

Choctaw Bingo

Jackie

Operation Never Mind

If It Don't Bleed

Decent Man

Blackberry Winter (Acoustic)

Childish Things

For All I Know

Restless

Levelland

Encore:

Vaquero

Too Long in the Wasteland

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, bluto said:

Holy hell Charley Crockett brings it live. Just saw him at the fair, dude and his band are captivating

Saw him at a festival in Montana in July for the first time.

captivating is a great word to describe it.

i left a bit surprised but thoroughly impressed. I remember thinking the setlist was perfectly structured and the brass was icing on the cake 

Saw him at a festival in Montana in July for the first time.
captivating is a great word to describe it.
i left a bit surprised but thoroughly impressed. I remember thinking the setlist was perfectly structured and the brass was icing on the cake 

His ‘utility man’ on keyboard/accordion/trumpet is a beast. If he pulled a sturgill and brought a full brass section with him it would be something
  • Like 1

First time I saw Charley live was when he opened for Turnpike Troubadours.  One guy described him as a minstrel.  And apparently, he has slowed down a bit since his heart surgeries.  LOVE the dude and so happy he is getting things done.   About two years ago, some folks in Austin got him set up with a new promotions team and they have done a fantastic job with him.  

Edited by hullabelew

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/evan-felker-to-play-virtual-show-with-rhett-miller-of-old-97s/

All you Turnpike Troubadours fans out there chomping at the bit for anything and everything related to the band, carve out some time on Thursday, October 28th because frontman Evan Felker will be making a very rare live appearance with his old buddy Rhett Miller of the Old 97’s as part of a cystic fibrosis benefit.

“Evan Felker is back,” Rhett proclaimed boldly Sunday afternoon. “If you’re a Turnpike Troubadours fan you’ve missed this guy. This Thursday night Evan will be joining me for the CF Concert Series benefit. We are working to help find a cure for cystic fibrosis.”

Even better, since this will be a virtual event, you don’t have to travel to see it. Fans are being asked to name a donation to obtain tickets.

Since the Turnpike Troubadours went on indefinite hiatus on May 31st, 2019, Evan Felker sightings have been very rare. He also played a benefit with the Teague Brothers on February 27th, which was his first gig since announcing his sobriety. But except for that, Evan Felker has been mostly in the shadows as fellow band mates Kyle Nix and R.C. Edwards continue to perform as part of solo projects, and guitarist Ryan Engleman did a stint touring with Reckless Kelly.

Evan Felker and Rhett Miller go way back. They previously have done some short acoustic tours together throughout the Texoma region, and the two wrote the song “Come As You Are” together along with other collaborations.

No definitive word at the moment on any Turnpike Troubadours reunification either in the studio or on the stage, but stay tuned.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Pretty much everything about this kicks ass

She's so good.  I can't even come up with a direct comparison.  She's like Lucinda's soul combined with Carole King's melodicism and John Hiatt's grit.  Just an absolutely phenomenal talent.  I can't wait to see what she and The Twins put out over the next few decades.

I LOVE this about Brandi as she talks about Kim Richey:    And I'm STILL knocked out by her many "Madmen on the Water" covers.  Everyone one is different and fantastic.

And how she breaks into the lyrics of "Bitter Fingers" when someone says Denmark Street. 

Edited by hullabelew

On 9/4/2021 at 10:11 AM, bschoolprof said:

Back to Isbell, although I haven't cared as much for his most recent albums, I think most people recognize he's probably the most skilled lyricist of his generation. There are so many Isbell songs that I love of course for the melody and the story, but perhaps mostly for how gifted he is with lyrics.  They are just haunting and beautiful.   

So, rather than a list of favorite songs, here's a list of some of my favorite lyrics, off the top of my head (I'm leaving out a ton):

• She lives down inside of me still, rolled up like a $20 bill.
  • I promise not to bore you with my stories and I promise not to scare you with my tears.
  • We’ll laugh like little children telling secrets, probably cry like old women drinkin gin. 
  • If there’s one thing I can’t take, it’s the sound that a woman makes, about 5 seconds after her heart begins to break.  
  • I said there’s two kinds of men in this world and you’re neither of them.
  • His fist cut the smoke. I had an eighth of a second to wonder if he got the joke. 
  • These 5a bastards run a shallow cross. It's a boys last dream and a man's first loss.
  • There's a man who walks beside me, he is who I used to be and I wonder if she sees him and confuses him with me
  • Did she leave a trail of crumbs so you could find her when you're what you could become or did she know you well enough to realize that garden just won't grow?
  • And there's couple in the corner of the bar who traveled light and clearly traveled far; she's got nothing left to learn about his heart and they're sitting there a thousand miles apart

What are your favorites?

She said, "Andy, you crack me up"
Seagram's in a coffee cup
Sharecropper eyes, and the hair almost all gone
When she was drunk, she made cancer jokes
Made up her own doctors' notes
Surrounded by her family, I saw that she was dying alone

I've been eating like I'm out on bail. Collard greens and chicken wings and oysters by the pail. Eating oysters by the pail, making up for those lost days. I've done my tour of duty now I'm going to put you in the family way.

Well I used to go out in a Mustang
A 302 Mach One in green
Till me and your mama made you in the back
And I sold it to buy her a ring

I’ll take two of what you’re having and all of what you’ve got to kill this god damn lonely, god damn lonely love.

John Henry was a steel drivin’ bastard, but John Henry was a bastard just the same. And an engine never thinks about his daddy, and an engine never needs to write his name.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight’s set:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jason-isbell-and-the-400-unit/2021/tabernacle-atlanta-ga-338b1c2d.html

Except the last song is wrong, he finished with Danko/Manuel which was awesome.

It’s definitely a Reunions heavy tour. Hard to believe that album just came out in 2020.

The Amy Ray Band opened and really impressed. She’s half of the Indigo Girls but she has a proper band now. They closed with a cover of Petty’s “Refugee” that was badass.