Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

• 2 weeks later...

Cody Jinks doesn’t get much run on here, but he’s putting out a new album soon. No songs had been released and this track was released yesterday. But it’s not on the track list for the new album. Now there’s rampant speculation he’s gonna drop two albums. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ILDARJWF-rw

Edited by Dry Elbows

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

???

Do you know the story behind their cover?

No. Tell me the back story.  (Not being smart with you)

Like I've said, I've heard the song on several occasions.  It seems like a modernized, libbed-up cover.  No new ground broken or anything earbending.  If there's a great backstory I'm all ears. I don't dislike the artists singing I just don't think the song is great or remarkable.  

Just an opinion.  Not here to fight. 

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not trying to provoke a fight . . . the original songwriter (Jimmy Webb) worked with them to recast the song for women.  I think it's fascinating.  It's a cool riff on the original Waylon/Willie/Johnny/Kris version.

But, that doesn't mean everyone is gonna like it.

Fair enough. 

30 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think Redesigning Women is cheesy, but catchy as all get out.

Given the genre, I wouldn't even call it cheesy.

I love that Brandi Carlisle told the engineer to stop separating their voices in the mix, to mostly just pan them all center and get a singular group sound.  That is the exact opposite of how most producers and engineers would approach a mix with so many terrific voices -- they'd pan them around and 'verb them out a bit different to get one up front and center, one over there in back, etc.  But this is a democratic project culled from disparate voices.  It's fucking fantastic.

And speaking of fantastic, I want to marry Amanda Shires' Dolly Parton warble.  Holy moly she is a sexy singer.  And props to Hemby for stepping up and singing right in line with those three powerhouses.

I hope the bro country movement dies a decade ago and those fuckers sweep floors for the rest of their miserable lives.  This is music.

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I love that Brandi Carlisle told the engineer to stop separating their voices in the mix, to mostly just pan them all center and get a singular group sound.  That is the exact opposite of how most producers and engineers would approach a mix with so many terrific voices -- they'd pan them and 'verb the a bit different to get one up front, one over there in back, etc.  But this is a democratic project culled from disparate voices.  It's fucking fantastic.

And speaking of fantastic, I want to marry Amanda Shires' Dolly Parton warble.  Holy moly she is a sexy singer.  And props to Hemby for stepping up and singing right in line with those three powerhouses.

I hope the bro country movement dies a decade ago and those fuckers sweep floors for the rest of their miserable lives.  This is music.

I concur.  It's such a great "wall of sound" thing when they're all together.

Brandi is still my favorite singer of the group, but they're all damn good.  Amanda Shires' has really honed in a sound with her fiddle playing where I can tell it's her instantly.

On 9/12/2019 at 10:58 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I love that Brandi Carlisle told the engineer to stop separating their voices in the mix, to mostly just pan them all center and get a singular group sound.  That is the exact opposite of how most producers and engineers would approach a mix with so many terrific voices -- they'd pan them around and 'verb them out a bit different to get one up front and center, one over there in back, etc.  But this is a democratic project culled from disparate voices.  It's fucking fantastic.

She said she sounds like a billy goat.  The chick is funny as hell.  I saw a tweet from here that said, "I can hold my breath longer than I can listen to the music they play on country radio."

On 9/11/2019 at 1:58 PM, HenryJames said:

The Highwomen is the country album of the year. 

Fucking should be.  Downloaded the album after the reviews and listened to it on a flight this weekend.  That's a damn country album right there.  Every fucking song.

FWIW, loved what they did with the "Highwayman" cover.  

On 3/26/2018 at 10:02 AM, Dry Elbows said:

Here are some Dropbox links with a bunch of Childers' unreleased stuff.  Can be saved to your desktop and then dragged into iTunes.  One of my personal favorites is "Redneck Romeo."

Yes, I know this was posted a year and a half ago, but thanks for the access to the unreleased stuff.  

On 9/11/2019 at 12:58 PM, HenryJames said:

The Highwomen is the country album of the year. 

On 9/16/2019 at 11:14 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

Fucking should be.  Downloaded the album after the reviews and listened to it on a flight this weekend.  That's a damn country album right there.  Every fucking song.

FWIW, loved what they did with the "Highwayman" cover.  

Nah Sturgill's angry anime album is going to destroy it.

• Like 2

Willis Alan Ramsey stopped by Bruce Robison's Bunker studio in Lockhart and recorded "Mockingbird Blues."  This is the animated video with the fantastic recording. 

Additionally, Austin (10/2), Beaumont (10/3), Dallas (10/4), and Houston (10/6) will see Bruce, Willis Alan, John Fullbright and Carrie Rodriguez do 4 shows together.  This is going to be fantastic.

Details and tickets here: 
https://www.thenextwaltz.com/newstuff

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 2:43 PM, hullabelew said:

Wow.  Thanks!

First Video--He had those ladies that were singing backup rocking.

Second Video--Question for a newbie to this stuff--Would he and the Wilco guitar player have practiced some fo that beforehand, or is that just straight jamming/improv?