Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

I'm gonna post this on this thread because it says "other good stuff" . . . Tony Joe White doing his best Louisiana swampy blues rock whatever.  What a fantastic song, I just now found this version.  (I don't know why people refer to it as "polk salad", I've always know it as "poke salad".)

Some artist can lay down a groove but Tony Joe White lived in it.
  • Like 2

On 9/6/2019 at 5:00 PM, Dry Elbows said:

Cody Jinks doesn’t get much run on here, but he’s putting out a new album soon. No songs had been released and this track was released yesterday. But it’s not on the track list for the new album. Now there’s rampant speculation he’s gonna drop two albums. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ILDARJWF-rw

I'm really starting to enjoy CJ's music - it sure as shit comes across as honest.

Oh, and the fact he's a fellow Jinks helps too.

41 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I can see that in the pic but I never noticed it IRL.

I was thinking someone in here knew the Clarks and Townes - that's you, right?

For the record, I've never thought other pictures of her looked like Uma Thurman, but when I saw that poster, I initially thought it was a biopic and not a doc.

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I was thinking someone in here knew the Clarks and Townes - that's you, right?

For the record, I've never thought other pictures of her looked like Uma Thurman, but when I saw that poster, I initially thought it was a biopic and not a doc.

There might be more than one of us, but yeah, I knew them from ever since I can remember. My parents were in that rowdy circle of friends that all migrated from Houston / Austin to Nashville in the early '70s. I've got stories for days.

For now I'll just post this pic from about 1987 I'd guess. 

Now there are a couple of illegal smiles if ever there were two.

79439275_10159364224472942_8213688748131

• Like 8

I"m glad Tamara finally got the money to complete that.    For those that don't know, she wrote his biography and was also behind the tribute album, "This One's For Him:  A Tribute to Guy Clark".  Most tribute albums or horrible and/or boring, but this one was fantastic and in the biography, she goes into depth about the making of it and how involved Guy was.  Jerry Jeff fucking NAILS, "My Favorite Picture of You."  The only song missing from that double live CD is someone doing "Heart Broke":.   Sunny Sweeney actually did a killer version that Bruce Robison/The Next Waltz recorded at this studio.  

• Like 1

"Jason and the Scorchers" is a familiar name but I don't think I'd ever listened to them.  The guitar coming in at 3 seconds coming in over the guitar that starts it off is enough for me.  I need to

1) find all the stuff I've missed between The Mekons and the Old 97s

2) make a jason and the scorchers cover band

Love me some Jason & the Scorchers.  Was at the show at the Satellite Lounge when they lost their liquor license.  This description does not do it justice.

https://www.houstonpress.com/music/the-night-byob-packing-jason-and-the-scorchers-fans-trashed-the-fabulous-satellite-lounge-and-3-other-great-shows-6775899

Edited by Noah Fence
cant spell
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 9:46 PM, Celery Man said:

"Jason and the Scorchers" is a familiar name but I don't think I'd ever listened to them.  The guitar coming in at 3 seconds coming in over the guitar that starts it off is enough for me.  I need to

1) find all the stuff I've missed between The Mekons and the Old 97s

2) make a jason and the scorchers cover band

You might find these interesting. 

Warner Hodges with Otis Gibbs 

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cDovL290aXNnaWJicy5jb20vY2F0ZWdvcnkvcG9kY2FzdC9mZWVkLw&episode=aHR0cDovL290aXNnaWJicy5jb20vP3A9MTE1MA

Episodes 69 and 70 are Jason 

Edited by cactusflinthead

10 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Listened to John Baumann West Texas Vernacular at the gym this morning. I had never heard of him, but Spotify recommend this album. Thought it was pretty good. I'll check out the rest of his stuff. 

John Baumann is great.  I got really into him last harvest.  His song "Wind Farmer" always makes me smile.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Walt Wilkins is criminally underrated:

Yes, he is.  My brother-in-law went to Anderson HS with Walt, and took me to see him perform at All Saints Episcopal Church on the north edge of the UT campus.  I was floored.  (For those who haven't seen shows there, make a point to do so.  You can't bring the beer or wine in from the courtyard, but other than that, it's an amazing venue.)

On 12/26/2019 at 9:29 PM, Seasick Sailor said:

Listened to John Baumann West Texas Vernacular at the gym this morning. I had never heard of him, but Spotify recommend this album. Thought it was pretty good. I'll check out the rest of his stuff. 

I'm a big John Baumann fan, but I finally saw him live on Friday night, and he was just awful. He opened for Wade Bowen at Floores, and I was surprised at how bad whomever worked the sound board was. Considering he filmed a video there, I thought he would have it more dialed in.

Any Charlie Parr fans?  He's based out of Duluth these days but grew up in Austin, MN (25 miles from my hometown/farm).  He's playing a small town theater about 30 miles from me later this month, and I definitely plan on getting there.  Hell of a picker, hell of a songwriter.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 5:44 PM, IDIOTsavant said:

I'm a big John Baumann fan, but I finally saw him live on Friday night, and he was just awful. He opened for Wade Bowen at Floores, and I was surprised at how bad whomever worked the sound board was. Considering he filmed a video there, I thought he would have it more dialed in.

This is disappointing to read as I was planning to go see him at the Mucky Duck in March. Was is just the sound guy that ruined the show? If so, I am sure the Duck will have things dialed in. 

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

This is disappointing to read as I was planning to go see him at the Mucky Duck in March. Was is just the sound guy that ruined the show? If so, I am sure the Duck will have things dialed in. 

I think it was primarily the sound guy, but his voice is kind of high to blast over a full band show indoors at Floores. Think that might have been part of the problem. I look forward to hearing how the Mucky Duck show goes. I'm willing to give him another chance because I really like his song writing, but next time I'm making sure to see a show that he's headlining.

17 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I'm willing to give him another chance because I really like his song writing, but next time I'm making sure to see a show that he's headlining.

I had a similar issue when i saw John Moreland open for Iron and Wine. The sound wasn't so much the issue as it was the Iron and Wine fans who didn't give a shit about the opener and wouldn't shut up while he was performing a solo acoustic set. 

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I had a similar issue when i saw John Moreland open for Iron and Wine. The sound wasn't so much the issue as it was the Iron and Wine fans who didn't give a shit about the opener and wouldn't shut up while he was performing a solo acoustic set. 

I would say fuck'em, but talking over Moreland? They fucked themselves.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

When I saw Moreland, he was headlining, and it was the most "silent" concert from a crowd perspective I've seen in years.

• Like 1

The worst concert crowd I’ve ever seen was Moreland opening for Isbell at The Belmont. What a terrible venue for both. People were acting like it was dollar beer night at aquarium. Couldn’t hear Moreland at all and by the time Jason went on people were too hammered to care. 

Watching that video is like rubbernecking past a car accident.  I couldn't turn it off.

(BTW, the Cadillac is parked at the opposite angle at the end as it was at the beginning.  I always figure these things are intentional, and I wonder what the implication is?)

On 12/31/2019 at 7:45 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Any Charlie Parr fans?  He's based out of Duluth these days but grew up in Austin, MN (25 miles from my hometown/farm).  He's playing a small town theater about 30 miles from me later this month, and I definitely plan on getting there.  Hell of a picker, hell of a songwriter.

I saw him open for Mandolin Orange in Jackson, MS.  Had never heard him until I knew he was the opening act.  Started listening and I was hooked.  Cheap Wine is one of the best songs I've ever heard.  Great story teller.

Funny story.  My buddy went to the back looking at tshirts after Parr and before MO and Charlie was standing there.  My friend starts a conversation with him and tells him we drove four hours for the show.  His response "for this shit?"

Edited by jinx
  • Like 1

I saw Moreland doing a song swap with Aaron Lee Tasjan and Caleb Caudle a few years ago in Houston in front of about 10 people at Natachee's cafe. This is during the In the Throes period. Half of the people were at a table in front of the stage, having some kind of long lost family reunion, totally oblivious to the show. They were so loud that when John sang, you couldn't hear him at all. It was a disaster. When his turn came back up, and they continued talking, the rest of us lost it and had them moved outside the venue. Thankfully, we got to see him at Mucky Duck the next time and it was dead quiet for 2 hours.