Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

• 2 weeks later...

This could go in a number of threads (and maybe should) but YouTube rabbit hole got me good today...

looking for a random Damon Bramblett song that wasn’t on Spotify. Found it on YouTube and then this was the next “auto play”. The intro alone deserves some sort of award (can’t get the link to start at the beginning, but rewind it)

1) John Prine - There She Goes 1:50
2) Billy Joe Shaver - Georgia On A Fast Train 5:10
3) Rodney Crowell - 'Till I Gain Control Again 7:40
4) Guy Clark - The Carpenter 12:00
5) Keith Sykes - The Coast Of Marseilles 17:20
6) Rodney Crowell w/ Rosanne Cash - No Memories Hanging Round 20:30
7) John Prine - Grandpa Was A Carpenter 23:40
😎 Billy Joe Shaver - I'm Just An Old Chunk Of Coal 26:30
9) Bill Caswell - Sodbuster 29:05
10) Keith Sykes - I'm Not Strange (I'm Just Like You) 31:50
11) Guy Clark - Homegrown Tomatoes 34:50
12) Rodney Crowell - Shame On The Moon 38:00
13) Billy Joe Shaver - Ride Me Down Easy 42:00
14) Bill Caswell - Don't Tell Momma I'm A Guitar Picker 44:15
15) Keith Sykes - One True Love 46:47
16) John Prine - Aimless Love 49:40
17) Guy Clark - L.A. Freeway 52:10  
Edited by UTexasFight
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I quoted this tweet on another forum that I thought was made up of rational humans. The very first response mentioned Taylor Swift. 57 comments later, not one person has said anything about SS. Dumbfucks

why on earth are you on texags and whatever gave you the impression it’s made up of rational humans?

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2020 at 11:49 AM, UTexasFight said:

This could go in a number of threads (and maybe should) but YouTube rabbit hole got me good today...

looking for a random Damon Bramblett song that wasn’t on Spotify. Found it on YouTube and then this was the next “auto play”. The intro alone deserves some sort of award (can’t get the link to start at the beginning, but rewind it)

1) John Prine - There She Goes 1:50
2) Billy Joe Shaver - Georgia On A Fast Train 5:10
3) Rodney Crowell - 'Till I Gain Control Again 7:40
4) Guy Clark - The Carpenter 12:00
5) Keith Sykes - The Coast Of Marseilles 17:20
6) Rodney Crowell w/ Rosanne Cash - No Memories Hanging Round 20:30
7) John Prine - Grandpa Was A Carpenter 23:40
😎 Billy Joe Shaver - I'm Just An Old Chunk Of Coal 26:30
9) Bill Caswell - Sodbuster 29:05
10) Keith Sykes - I'm Not Strange (I'm Just Like You) 31:50
11) Guy Clark - Homegrown Tomatoes 34:50
12) Rodney Crowell - Shame On The Moon 38:00
13) Billy Joe Shaver - Ride Me Down Easy 42:00
14) Bill Caswell - Don't Tell Momma I'm A Guitar Picker 44:15
15) Keith Sykes - One True Love 46:47
16) John Prine - Aimless Love 49:40
17) Guy Clark - L.A. Freeway 52:10  

I LOVE seeing Rosanne Cash and Suzanna Clark sitting in the audience in that show.  

What was the Damon Bramblett song were you searching for?   I LOVE his songwriting. 

The first verse of Heaven Bound alone is fantastic.  I LOVE that entire album.  

Electricity roared but you looked so bored on the line
Nobody knows how it felt to see that cannonball melt in your mind
Calling all cars, one less dog behind bars, one less man in pain
It hurts to see you go but darling don't you know we're so glad you came

Edited by hullabelew
  • Hook 'Em 1

Shots fired at Isbell:

Held her hand in Old Savannah
Marigold print on her dress
Her hair was combed and parted
Like a beautiful princess

I didn’t see you at the altar
Way back then you were so drunk
You were washed up on some hooker’s bed
Behind a shitty restaurant

So when the wind blows in your window
'Cause the storm don't give a damn
Pray the window don't break
Across the wrist of your writing hand

On a stationary wet with tears of the peoples backs you stab
When you're hiding like a robber
With no one's purse to grab

Remember me standing there holding out my hand
In a broken down hotel in Birmingham

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Kelly doing a Damon song.

I never really figured out what that song was about, but I have an idea.  Seeing Amy Farris singing harmony brings it all home.  I hired her to play fiddle on a track I was recording once, and we never hammered out the details.  She did an amazing job in about 30 minutes, I asked her what I owed her, and she said "oh, $50?  Is that too much?".  I was gobsmacked.  "Uh, can we pay you $150, you know, like normal?"  "Oh, no, this was fun, it was my pleasure."  What a loss Austin incurred when she passed away.

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

They were very close at one time. Jason publicly cut ties with him when the abuse stories came out. 

Isbell was supposed to be in Adam's wedding but was apparently drunk banging a hooker in an Alabama motel :shrug: Also Adams apparently helped him get sober and his shit together but Isbell dropped Adams once those allegations came out.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I never really figured out what that song was about, but I have an idea.  Seeing Amy Farris singing harmony brings it all home.  I hired her to play fiddle on a track I was recording once, and we never hammered out the details.  She did an amazing job in about 30 minutes, I asked her what I owed her, and she said "oh, $50?  Is that too much?".  I was gobsmacked.  "Uh, can we pay you $150, you know, like normal?"  "Oh, no, this was fun, it was my pleasure."  What a loss Austin incurred when she passed away.

It is about a guy on death row being put to death in an electric chair.  Kelly said she did a show at a prison one time and picked that song, not thinking about the content.  Yep...the entire world lost when Amy died.  Dave Alvin wrote this song about her.   Makes me cry every time I hear it.  One time I introduced my daughter to Amy.   She told my 15 yr old daughter...."Never get married."  

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, fakebusiness said:

I know but he's a pretty prolific writer.

I was a HUGE Whiskeytown fan.  Those live shows were either brilliant or a drunk train wreck.  And, I likee everything he did as a solo artist and I can separate the artist from their beliefs and generally from their actions.  But at some point, treating people like shit, over and over again, just gets to be too much.  Emmylou tried to help him early on but when she cut bait with him, I figured something was up.  Then when the stories started floating to the top about how he treated female singers, I don't care how prolific he was/is.  Fuck him.   [/putting my soapbox away] 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I was a HUGE Whiskeytown fan.  Those live shows were either brilliant or a drunk train wreck.  And, I likee everything he did as a solo artist and I can separate the artist from their beliefs and generally from their actions.  But at some point, treating people like shit, over and over again, just gets to be too much.  Emmylou tried to help him early on but when she cut bait with him, I figured something was up.  Then when the stories started floating to the top about how he treated female singers, I don't care how prolific he was/is.  Fuck him.   [/putting my soapbox away] 

I think one of the biggest differences between Isbell and Adams is that while Isbell could be a prick when he was drunk, he got his shit personally together when he sobered up and has been generally regarded as a good person to be around.

Adams has continued to be a shit person even after "sobriety".  And I guess with Adams I'm using it in quotes because he never really got sober, he just quit drinking and doing blow.  He remained (remains?) an avid stoner who is pretty much constantly inebriated.  I know it's a sidebar, but I find people who say they're sober but smoke a ton of weed to be annoying.  You aren't sober.  You quit drinking.  My guess is that Adams has never dealt with his demons as directly as Isbell has.  And if he has, I guess he's just a dick at the end of the day.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If we're just being objective in separating a musician from their music, I actually like that Adams slag at Isbell better than anything off the last Isbell album.

I think the only song off the last Isbell album to get anything more than couple of spins was Only Children. I was sad.

53 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I think the only song off the last Isbell album to get anything more than couple of spins was Only Children. I was sad.

I like Only Children and It Gets Easier a lot.  Those two are top shelf Isbell. 

That's.... that's it.  What've I Done To Help? is one of the worst things he's ever recorded.

• Like 3