Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

On 7/17/2021 at 11:05 PM, Cleo McDowell said:

New John R Miller album released yesterday, the whole thing is great. Here’s an older live version of one of the songs on the album

I haven't turned this off since Friday.  This album is spectacular.

My personal favorite

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Just saw that.  Good for him.  Glad that he has gotten to a place where he can have this power.  I'm curious as to how that conversation with Ticketmaster went.  

Changes the math for us on going for sure.  Still not sure if I am 100% comfortable, but we'll see.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Stringer said:

Just saw that.  Good for him.  Glad that he has gotten to a place where he can have this power.  I'm curious as to how that conversation with Ticketmaster went.  

Changes the math for us on going for sure.  Still not sure if I am 100% comfortable, but we'll see.

Same for me. I was on the fence trying to persuade myself that it would be okay going to see a show indoors while we’re in Stage 5, and this helps. And I’m not afraid of catching COVID, just worried about transmitting to an unvaccinated kid a week before school starts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

So, some musician gave Isbell shit today on twitter, and Isbell proceeded to tell him to go get his fucking shine box.

Apparently Mr. Broussard doesn't understand the true meaning of "bourgois (sic)".  It's literally a reference to the middle class, the "blue collar" guys he seems to advocate for.

Kudos for the shade thrown by Isbell.  Taking on a wordsmith like him is a really stupid idea.

On 8/5/2021 at 3:30 PM, Stringer said:

Agreed, good for him. I was at the Red Rocks show on Sunday and that is the most people I’ve ever seen at show that was exclusively for Jason Isbell. It was great to be back at a significant live music show and to be outdoors, but it was so packed that it felt a bit iffy, especially with cases surging from the Delta variant. Many will surely disagree, but I’m glad Jason has taken a position of “better safe than sorry” and is defending it. All that said, what a fucking show. It was kind of bummer to see such a diminished version of Lucinda Williams, though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone know how to request the refund?  There of course is no link in the info.  I went into my Ticketmaster account and don't see a way to do it.

We've seen him 5 times and will probably see him 5 more.  We just decided it's not worth the risk for now.  

I’m going to see him on Sunday. I’ve been vaccinated, and my high school daughter has as well but not my fifth grade son. But I’m dropping them off at the ex’s before the show and the following day they leave with her for a week vacation, so if they catch the COVID before school starts, it won’t be because I went to an indoor concert in Stage 5.

16 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Agreed, good for him. I was at the Red Rocks show on Sunday and that is the most people I’ve ever seen at show that was exclusively for Jason Isbell. It was great to be back at a significant live music show and to be outdoors, but it was so packed that it felt a bit iffy, especially with cases surging from the Delta variant. Many will surely disagree, but I’m glad Jason has taken a position of “better safe than sorry” and is defending it. All that said, what a fucking show. It was kind of bummer to see such a diminished version of Lucinda Williams, though. 

I was there as well. Amazing show. Agreed on Lucinda too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Toward the end of the show Jason thanked the Moody Theater crowd for jumping through some extra hoops (proof of vaccination or negative COVID test w/in last 72 hours and masking) to attend, and gave a "we're all in this together speech."  I appreciated the sentiment, but all he had to do was look at the crowd packed in front of him to realize that nobody was complying with the masking requirement.  So I wonder how much of those extra safety measures were just lip service. 

In any event, it was my first live music show since ACL Fest in 2019, and it felt so good.

Toward the end of the show Jason thanked the Moody Theater crowd for jumping through some extra hoops (proof of vaccination or negative COVID test w/in last 72 hours and masking) to attend, and gave a "we're all in this together speech."  I appreciated the sentiment, but all he had to do was look at the crowd packed in front of him to realize that nobody was complying with the masking requirement.  So I wonder how much of those extra safety measures were just lip service. 
In any event, it was my first live music show since ACL Fest in 2019, and it felt so good.

He played a drive in show here last fall and it filled my soul.

On 8/9/2021 at 9:15 AM, South Austin said:

My understanding was that you had to wear a mask when not in your seat, which I think most people were doing.

Now, we can discuss the absurd idea that wearing a mask while not in one's seat - but being maskless while seated inside a venue with thousands of other people - somehow mitigates transmission. That's an incredibly stupid premise. I don't know how that came to be a thing. But my understanding of the policy was that it only applied when not in your seat (or on the floor for general admission, i guess?) It's dumb. But I don't think the expectation was that everyone would wear a mask throughout the show.

11 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Goddamn Lonely Love, Decoration Day, Tour of Duty and Sway tonight. Probably my favorite of the 3 shows. 

I went the first night. Loved Outfit into Elephant (things got a little misty with those two after not having seen live music in a year and a half). But I think that is the setlist I would have preferred to see. I'll take Goddamn Lonely Love over Outfit, if you twist my arm. Plus a cover of Sway? Fuuuuuuuuck.....

8 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Now, we can discuss the absurd idea that wearing a mask while not in one's seat - but being maskless while seated inside a venue with thousands of other people - somehow mitigates transmission. That's an incredibly stupid premise.

same goes at restaurants.  makes no sense that some hillbilly can cough and sneeze next to me without covering his/her mouth and thats fine, but by god they better put htat fucking mask on when they are waddling to the bathroom.

sturgill single this week maybe??

On 8/6/2021 at 7:23 PM, Gil Bang said:

So, some musician gave Isbell shit today on twitter, and Isbell proceeded to tell him to go get his fucking shine box.

seems a little out of character for him to be shitting on other artists who are in the exact same position he was 10 years ago. comes off a little high and mighty, not a good look imo.