Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

Full disclosure:  this clip is not for everyone.  It contains a lot of political talk.  If you're a fan of Jason Isbell but a conservative, you have been warned.  Moderators, move it to the new CR if necessary, I don't really know what the ground rules are here.

In my view, it's interesting because it shows how thoughtful Isbell is, regardless of whether or not you agree with his politics.  And it also gives a little insight into the way his mind crafts lyrics, because he strikes me as a guy who can find great poetry in simple things (e.g. his reference to "the red letters" in the Bible in this clip):

Isbell on Southern politics

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

What's this facility like?  Is it all lawn seating?  Camping?

I've actually never attended an Old Settler's but this looks to have moved, regardless.

last year was the first year out by lockhart.  it's all lawn seating, yes, there is camping available (kerrville style) if you're into that.  i make the drive back home each night.  

• 2 weeks later...

Scott Miller, y'all. Seriously, he might be the best out there today.

This is a song he wrote about a schoolfriend of his who took her own life with carbon monoxide in her garage, leaving several young kids behind. I think a set of twins of about eight. He's writing from the perspective of their dad. 

He can also do funny and just plain cool. He can't help it that he's a fan of that other UT. He's also a working cattleman up in the Shenandoah Valley...They do have cows up there. He gives me shit about how Virginia really is the father of Texas and I can't really tell him to fuck off because it was the birthplace of both Sam Houston and Stephen F. Austin. So I just call him a Yankee. 

• Like 2

On 12/6/2018 at 3:30 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

This is a song he wrote about a schoolfriend of his who took her own life with carbon monoxide in her garage, leaving several young kids behind. I think a set of twins of about eight. He's writing from the perspective of their dad. 

He can also do funny and just plain cool. He can't help it that he's a fan of that other UT. He's also a working cattleman up in the Shenandoah Valley...They do have cows up there. He gives me shit about how Virginia really is the father of Texas and I can't really tell him to fuck off because it was the birthplace of both Sam Houston and Stephen F. Austin. So I just call him a Yankee. 

This dude owes you some royalties. Ended up downloading several songs on iTunes. 

• Like 1

Great suggestion, I had never heard of them before but started with those 2 songs and was immediately hooked, been listening to them all day today, one of my favorites already, really good shit. I'm digging that Scott Miller too.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned John Moreland in this thread but he's one of my favorites. Before I started down this Fifth on the Floor/Justin Wells rabbit hole, I was on a big John Moreland kick. If you're looking for somewhere to start, go with 3:59 AM, great ass song

Justin Wells - The Dogs is such a bad ass song. He used to be the lead singer of Fifth on the Floor. If you like “The Dogs”, you’ll love Distant Memory Lane by Fifth on the Floor. Couldn’t recommend them any more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The little I've heard of Scott Miller is really good . . . on the live CD recording of that tune "The Rain" he shares an alarming vocal similarity with Jason Isbell.  I don't hear it quite so much on other live tracks.  On that one tune he has the same husky tone as Isbell.  Otherwise, he seems to have a thinner twang, just as good, but different.

I'm always fascinated when one singer sounds so much like another -- the voice is such a distinct instrument.

Saw John Fullbright at the kessler last night. Good gravy that dude is talented, plays the hell outta harmonica and keyboard, also doubles down on guitar+harmonica. Helluva writer and solid singer to boot. Highly recommend catching him live, he brings it. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 3:30 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Damn I had been wondering about Scott Miller.  Talked to him shortly in Dallas many years ago.  First heard him from Amtrak Crescent and then so forth.  We had a short laugh because I actually owned a Chevy Citation in high school.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...