New Nazi black comedy: JoJo Rabbit by Taika Waititi

Longhorn Fever

This looks interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTqd4yNFuSw

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/jojorabbit/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jojo_Rabbit

Lonely German boy Jojo "Rabbit" Betzler (Roman Griffin Davis) has his world view turned upside down when he discovers that his single mother Rosie (Scarlett Johansson) is hiding a young Jewish girl (Thomasin McKenzie) in their attic. Aided only by his idiotic imaginary friend, Adolf Hitler (Taika Waititi), Jojo must confront his blind nationalism.

Cast

Just very first impression from the trailer gave me a Moonrise Kingdom/Inglourious Basterds impression. Count me  in for this one.

Edited by Longhorn Fever

On 7/27/2019 at 8:05 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

In 100%.  When is this due out?  This may be one of those times (again) that being in NYC is going to be helpful.  Will come out there way before it hits Houston (unfortunately).

October 18 in theaters

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/post/4333/jojo-rabbit-in-theaters-october-18-2019/

• 2 months later...

I watched it this evening. A friend said this was going to be really good and damned if it wasn't the best movie I have seen in God knows how long.

The cast and crew did two Q&A's after the showings at Lincoln Square. You had to have a separate ticket to get in though. Luckily they have an 11:30 Q&A and it was sold out, but I checked several times tonight to see if someone dropped their reservation and I was able to get a front row seat for this. I would highly recommend seeing this if you have the opportunity to do so. It was hilarious, but man it really got time a few times as well and a great movie will do that.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 3

The 11:30 Q&A is this morning so I'll say here what happens. I think it'll be pretty cool if only going by how good the movie was. I think it will Tig at your heartstrings as a person, but it is so funny. The Hitler scenes were ridiculously humorous. 

Edited by UpperWestside

I watched the movie again this morning and as soon as it was done Taika come in and did a 20-25 minute Q&A. He came off as very affable and cool. One of the questions about scenes with a butterfly in it wound up being pretty funny. He explained several of the scenes and why he did them the way he did.

He said it was odd walking around on the set all day dressed like Hitler and that he asked someone to hurry and get something one day during shooting. He said he stopped himself and told them it wasn't an order and he was just asking and wasn't trying to be a dictator on the set because he's a New Zealander and is too nice to be like that to someone...lol. 

On 7/25/2019 at 4:42 AM, Buzzrock said:

There are very few people who I think could successfully tackle a satire about Hitler. TW is pretty much top of the list. In.

He absolutely nailed it. He was asked how much he researched Hitler and he said someone gave him a book to read about him. He read the back cover and said that was all he needed to know. 

He also was asked about this being a timely movie because of the resurgence of nazis here and other parts of the world. He said he thought it was sad that he had to make a fucking movie about them to remind people again about what they did. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 1:35 PM, C-Man said:

So in for this. Didn't know the name of Taika Waititi until this thread but see that he had big parts to do with Flight of the Conchords and What We Do in the Shadows (movie/TV series) and I love all of that.

Dude... he plays Viago, one of the main vampires, in What We Do In The Shadows. He also directed and wrote it. You know Taika haha. 

--

Aside, this looks amazing. Very similar topically, I'd recommend "Look Who's Back", which is a German mockumentary where Hitler comes back and discusses pro-Nazi ideology with current German citizens - some of whom show their true colors in agreeing with "Hitler's" political ideals (not unlike Borat if you've seen it). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 11:02 PM, Continental Op said:

It's very well done.  

When I read some of the reviews that did not enjoy it I kind of wonder if the critic really understood the point this movie is making. It is an absolute must watch movie.

I like when a movie gets me to feel several emotions and this one does that. It really tugs at your heart at times, but has several moments of brevity while reminding everyone how evil the Nazis were. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Saw this last night. Damn good movie. Hilarious yet super dark. Very well acted.

Saw it this afternoon with my son. I fucking loved it. Best movie I've seen in a long, long time. (Also, I didn't think it was particularly dark.)

The kid was fantastic as were Sam Rockwell (man, I love that dude), Scarlett and loved Stephen Merchant as the head of a Gestapo unit. Loved Taika as Hitler. Jojo's best friend was hilarious. Always love David Bowie songs as the closing credits roll ("Queen Bitch" in ZISSOU and "Heroes" here). I hope this movie gets some Oscar love.

I have a friend who is Jewish who wanted to see it. We went and saw it tonight. He really liked it. I have seen it a few times now because I have been going with other people who wanted to see it and having evenings free makes it convenient to watch it. Rockwell has some great scenes and Merchant played his role to a T.

The Jewish girl in the movie (Thomasin McKenzie) has some fantastic responses to JoJo. For me it is the best movie I have seen in at least 5 years, if not longer. You just feel good after watching it.

Edited by UpperWestside

• 1 month later...

This is pretty much spot-on for why this movie was so good. After listening to him speak in person at Lincoln Square at the Q&A I see why he was so passionate about this movie. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/jan/14/jojo-rabbit-director-taika-waititi-wears-criticism-of-divisive-nazi-parody-as-badge-of-honour

Edited by UpperWestside

• 3 weeks later...

Saw it yesterday. Best movie of the year. So very inventive and involving. Very Wes Anderson feeling to me. Not derivative but just akin to Anderson.

Also thumbs up to Bombshell and Ford vs Ferrari which I also saw yesterday. Some really good films were made last year.

1 hour ago, KingBobo81 said:

Easily my favorite of the best picture noms (I saw all of them)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watched them all as well and I'm in the same boat as you. My favorite of a very good crop of Best Picture nominees. We actually watched it first of all of the nominees, which sort of sucked because it set a high bar for the rest of them. Great movie.  

Watched this today. Just great.  Funny and great heart to it. Great performance from the kids.

Taika Waititi is one of my favorite people working in Hollywood.

It’s a phenomenal flick from start to finish. Waititi is amazing. So awesome seeing him win tonight.