New Nazi black comedy: JoJo Rabbit by Taika Waititi

Longhorn Fever

When you consider What We Do in the Shadows, Thor: Ragnarok, JoJo Rabbit and his contributions to The Mandalorian, I think it's safe to say that Taika Waititi is currently my favorite filmmaker by a long shot. 

Can't wait to see what he does next.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

When you consider What We Do in the Shadows, Thor: Ragnarok, JoJo Rabbit and his contributions to The Mandalorian, I think it's safe to say that Taika Waititi is currently my favorite filmmaker by a long shot. 

Yep.  He's fantastic.

On 8/20/2020 at 2:24 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

He played a pretty good Hitler, too. I'm definitely a fan (of Waititi, not Hitler).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 2:24 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

Did not realize he was responsible for all of those. Mando and WWDITS. Film and TV. Damn, New Zealand is... to film as Iceland is to music. Punches way the fuck above their weight.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/26/2020 at 5:59 PM, Celery Man said:

Did not realize he was responsible for all of those. Mando and WWDITS. Film and TV. Damn, New Zealand is... to film as Iceland is to music. Punches way the fuck above their weight.

This was on HBO the other day.  Next thing I knew it was 2 hours later.  Thoroughly enjoyable on re-watch.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Frieda’s Boss said:

Just saw this. Absolutely loved it and will watch again. Crazy that you can have a movie with absolute hilarious pretty much throughout while delivering gut punches and such touching moments in between. Just really well done all around. Performances were great from entire cast. 

Watched it for the first time a few days ago. Loved it, great movie

jojo is probably my favorite movie of the last 5 or so years.  it is so, so fucking good.  i enjoyed parasite, once upon and time in hollywood, and 1917 all as well.  last year's lineup was very strong.  i would have picked jojo but have no problem with any of them winning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidis said:

jojo is probably my favorite movie of the last 5 or so years.  it is so, so fucking good.  i enjoyed parasite, once upon and time in hollywood, and 1917 all as well.  last year's lineup was very strong.  i would have picked jojo but have no problem with any of them winning.

This. The 2019 Oscars won’t age well. People will still be talking about JoJo and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 20 years from now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This. The 2019 Oscars won’t age well. People will still be talking about JoJo and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 20 years from now. 

Crash. Chicago. The fucking Shape of Water. We have a shitload of way more shitty best picture winners to complain about before people get to Parasite.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, ajax said:

Crash. Chicago. The fucking Shape of Water. We have a shitload of way more shitty best picture winners to complain about before people get to Parasite.

I recently tried to watch Crash again.... I had to turn it off... it's so cringe-worthy on re-watch.  Why did people think it was good?

Chicago is good for what it is. It's a very well-done musical.  Should it have been best picture? No way... but it's a fine film.

I haven't seen The Shape of Water but I literally don't know a single person who liked it... and I'm friends with several film nerds... they were all like... "Yeah... it's..... fine." LOL

15 hours ago, ajax said:

Crash hasn’t aged well. 

The Shape of Water felt like the Academy picking something weird because they never pick anything weird. Do voters get together to discuss their picks at a luncheon or gala? It seems like 2-3 weeks before the Oscars, one picture picks up momentum out of nowhere. 

I think Parasite was an over correction for never picking foreign films for Best Picture. 

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2/3/2021 at 9:48 PM, Al Czervik said:

Our only friends are the Japanese. And between you and me, they don’t look very Aryan. 

This line killed me.  History has a way of being funny. 

That kid had so many great one-liners. 

I loved, "Apparently it's not a great time to be a Nazi."