Turnpike Troubadours appreciation thread

oSuJeff97

On 10/31/2018 at 6:47 PM, Kennythetiger said:

Several weeks ago Miranda and Evan announced their break-up, and we had tickets to see them play in northeastern Nebraska a couple of weeks later.  One by one TT was canceling their shows, each day, one by one.  We checked websites before leaving on our six-hour drive.  Show is still on.  Get there and there's a big sign on the door that the show was canceled.  

Oh well.  I wish they would have just issued a blanket cancellation like this one, instead of canceling each show the afternoon of.  I wish him the best, and hope he gets his shit figured out.  

They played a bunch of shows after that seemingly fine.

My guess is Felker had a full blown breakdown, which isn’t that surprising all things considered.  He went from relative unknown to tabloid fodder overnight all while nuking his marriage and then getting dumped by the new chick.  Probably some self medicating thrown into the mix, and eventually it’s going to hit a wall.  Hope he gets his shit straight.

• 5 weeks later...

The show tonight was awesome and the band was on point.  Felker was smart enough to lay low on Oklahoma talk.  He said he'd skip a story about where he grew up before one song and when he introduced the band he quietly said "Norman".  But between the encore the bass player sings a song and says "you guys see any good football games today?" It drew mostly boo's and I held middle finger up the whole song.  Fuck that guy. ou still sucks.

On 12/1/2018 at 11:50 PM, PantsTent said:

The show tonight was awesome and the band was on point.  Felker was smart enough to lay low on Oklahoma talk.  He said he'd skip a story about where he grew up before one song and when he introduced the band he quietly said "Norman".  But between the encore the bass player sings a song and says "you guys see any good football games today?" It drew mostly boo's and I held middle finger up the whole song.  Fuck that guy. ou still sucks.

RC is the shit.  We drank beer with them before a show in Des Moines years ago.  The guitar player (Ryan Engleman) and fiddle player (Kyle Nix) were awesome too.  Felker seemed distracted (he was trying to find something they didn't sell at the bar), and the drummer wasn't there.  Back when they were a 5 piece.  It was right about the time they were branching out of Texoma, and they were just floored that people in a bar 7 hours from home knew who they were.

But I suppose you were still a little salty on Saturday night.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

RC is the shit.  We drank beer with them before a show in Des Moines years ago.  The guitar player (Ryan Engleman) and fiddle player (Kyle Nix) were awesome too.  Felker seemed distracted (he was trying to find something they didn't sell at the bar), and the drummer wasn't there.  Back when they were a 5 piece.  It was right about the time they were branching out of Texoma, and they were just floored that people in a bar 7 hours from home knew who they were.

But I suppose you were still a little salty on Saturday night.

Yes, salty and drunk for the 2nd time that day! 

On 12/1/2018 at 11:50 PM, PantsTent said:

I was at the show too.  

I mean... you know he was just having some fun, right? None of the guys in the band are from Norman.  They are all from SE Oklahoma and they got their start playing in Stillwater and Tulsa. I'm pretty sure a few of them spent at least some time as students at OSU... so it's not like they are all OU fans. Evan was just having some fun fucking with the crowd.

But agreed that OU does indeed still suck.

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I was at the show too.  

I mean... you know he was just having some fun, right? None of the guys in the band are from Norman.  They are all from SE Oklahoma and they got their start playing in Stillwater and Tulsa. I'm pretty sure a few of them spent at least some time as students at OSU... so it's not like they are all OU fans. Evan was just having some fun fucking with the crowd.

But agreed that OU does indeed still suck.

Yes, I know. See previous post about being drunk for the 2nd time in one day.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They just canceled 3 shows.  Rumor is everyone but Felker was there.

Hes a brilliant songwriter, but it's hard not to think that he's going to get kicked out real fucking quick.  RC Edwards has written some really good songs.  Maybe he'll take the reins.  I could go watch that band play covers and not get sick of it.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

34 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Hes a brilliant songwriter, but it's hard not to think that he's going to get kicked out real fucking quick.  RC Edwards has written some really good songs.  Maybe he'll take the reins.  I could go watch that band play covers and not get sick of it.

Interesting...the first was "due to weather" where everybody but Felker was there.  Don't try to see these guys if you're in Chicago. The makeup of the makup of the original makup are now all cancelled. 

3 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Interesting...the first was "due to weather" where everybody but Felker was there.  Don't try to see these guys if you're in Chicago. The makeup of the makup of the original makup are now all cancelled. 

I bought the weather excuse, but I don’t really expect anything from these guys until Felker gets his shit together.  If he ever does.

• 3 weeks later...

They played a private event in Nashville last night.  If they can keep Felker wrangled and on the bus (literally and figuratively), I think they'll probably make it.  He looks healthy in the pics I saw from the show.

I saw them at the Bourbon in '16.  Great time.  They closed with RC doing "All Your Favorite Bands" by Dawes.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

On 1/25/2019 at 1:36 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

I just assume that if they feel the need to kick Felker out that they'll just bring John Fullbright back. Hell, I'd like to see them bring him back even with Felker.

32 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I just assume that if they feel the need to kick Felker out that they'll just bring John Fullbright back. Hell, I'd like to see them bring him back even with Felker.

The backing band Fulbright has behind him is already pretty bad ass.  His live shows are great.  He just needs to put out some new music . . . most of the material he plays at his shows is from an album released in 2012. 

2 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

The backing band Fulbright has behind him is already pretty bad ass.  His live shows are great.  He just needs to put out some new music . . . most of the material he plays at his shows is from an album released in 2012. 

I don't disagree. Turnpike just has a bigger stage right now. There was some scuttle that they were looking at bringing him back a little over a year ago, and I believe he did sit in for a song or two when they taped at ACL. I just think he'd be their target to slide in for Felker in a pinch to keep things rolling while he works on himself.

I think if you really like any band then the idea of a different singer is always problematic.  And Fulbright’s singing style is very different (much bluesier).  

That said, every time I have seen Fulbright he has sprinkled in a wide variety of covers, and he always knocks it out of the park with other people’s material.  His covers of Shotgun Wille, Tvz’s Catfish Song, and Let’s Go Get Stoned have all been particularly rad. 

I always loved that TVZ song and was shocked when I saw JF play it once. I agree with you, his shows are truly killer these days (and they’ve been great for a long time).  I saw him sit in with Turnpike at their ACL taping on piano, and it didn’t affect the show much, but if he were the lead singer, they’d become a totally different band. 

On 2/15/2019 at 12:12 PM, Zepol87 said:

Anyone ever been to the Mardi Gras DFW thing? They will be playing this year, trying to decide if it is worth it

I went once back in the early 00s, it was fun back then. They had a N and S stage set up and rotated back and forth. If you were at the front of one show you’d end up at the back of the next one. There we lots of tits by the end of the night. 

4 hours ago, Archer said:

My wife just told me Miranda announced she got married, could have helped send Evan into a relapse. 

He’s insanely private but this wouldn’t surprise me.

I get the impression that she swooped in on him, and he was blown away by celeb attention.  Ditched his wife and lost his shit in the process 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dry Elbows said:

Saw Turnpike at the HLSR last night.  Felker looked like hammered dog shit.  Zero energy until the last two songs.  They put on a good show, just lacked the energy I normally associate with seeing them live. 

I think they were fucking terrified.

I was there too on Saturday. Felker often  looks kind of nervous or uneasy to me, even when I've seen them at Gruene Hall. This time it looked though, it was like he had no joy or emotion up there, just going through the motions, like he'd rather be doing something/anything else...

• Like 1

Was there on Saturday as well..The band sounded fantastic and seemed to really enjoy it but like everyone else said, Evan was nervous/terrified/strung out or something. The only emotion he showed was when his guitar had issues and needed to be swapped out. Still a pretty damn good show

I definitely think he isn't wired for celebrity, and that manifests through obvious nervousness/awkwardness, substance abuse, etc.  Seems that there's a really obvious conflict between the success and status they've achieved, and his level of comfort with it.  Not the first guy to be in that spot, and probably not the last.  I just hope he can get everything squared away.

20 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I definitely think he isn't wired for celebrity, and that manifests through obvious nervousness/awkwardness, substance abuse, etc.  Seems that there's a really obvious conflict between the success and status they've achieved, and his level of comfort with it.  Not the first guy to be in that spot, and probably not the last.  I just hope he can get everything squared away.

My feeling at well.  I thought after he had done some solo shows with Rhett Miller, he could learn to relax.   

3 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

My feeling at well.  I thought after he had done some solo shows with Rhett Miller, he could learn to relax.   

Rhett's a guy who has it figured out as well as anyone in this business.  He's a great role model.

He's not a sober guy, but he's not a drunk.  He doesn't take himself too seriously, but he's a complete professional that cares a lot about doing his best work.  He has fun with what he does, is well respected by other songwriters, and has never really got himself caught up in any kind of extra-curricular craziness.  He's 50 and writing songs that are as good as the ones he wrote at 30.

IMO, Rhett is the guy you want to be.

I completely agree, but he completely quit drinking after he finished "The Traveler".  But he didn't really advertise it because he wasn't a drunk.  Also, about the friendliest musician one would ever meet.    I've seen Old 97's and solo Rhett, WAY too many times to count, and I've never seen him once when I thought he was too drunk to perform.  I was hoping he could take Evan under his wing.  

Decent article here.  
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/rhett-miller-the-messenger-album-sober-760216/

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I completely agree, but he completely quit drinking after he finished "The Traveler".  But he didn't really advertise it because he wasn't a drunk.  Also, about the friendliest musician one would ever meet.    I've seen Old 97's and solo Rhett, WAY too many times to count, and I've never seen him once when I thought he was too drunk to perform.  I was hoping he could take Evan under his wing.  

Decent article here.  
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/rhett-miller-the-messenger-album-sober-760216/

Solid article.  I hadn't really checked in on Rhett since the "Graveyard Whistling" release and cycle (I mean, I saw them this summer - just talking from a media standpoint), so I feel mildly stupid for having not caught that.  He was still writing about drinking quite a bit, so I just made assumptions.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

• 2 months later...