Turnpike Troubadours appreciation thread

oSuJeff97

I never heard much from this band until I caught them on a recent episode of Bluegrass Undergrounds. It was pretty badass. The recent problems must be a direct result of the DougO curse. I liked them, so they were doomed.

I read about the Felker meltdown on Saving Country Music and then started watching the video yesterday.  GODDAMN. I actually had to stop watching it because it was just too damn sad.

I felt like I was watching someone fall apart in real time and it didn't seem right to watch.

I *really* hope he gets some help.

Someone was saying earlier in the thread that he needs to look to Rhett Miller as a role model and I 100% agree.  Rhett is definitely someone who has it figured out. Even before he quit drinking a few years ago, he was never a sloppy mess who couldn't get through a show.

And I just saw Old 97's again last Thursday in OKC, and holy shit do they still put on a great show. I hope I can say the same about TT in 15 years, but Evan is going to have to seriously clean up for that to happen.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 1

I never heard much from this band until I caught them on a recent episode of Bluegrass Undergrounds. It was pretty badass. The recent problems must be a direct result of the DougO curse. I liked them, so they were doomed.

It’s the “ghosted your wife for Miranda Lambert” curse

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Doug, he dumped his wife for Miranda Lambert, then Miranda dumped him and quickly remarried.

edit- Al beat me to it.

Edited by Kennythetiger

I'd heard them on KHYI but didn't know who they were. Heard mention of them elsewhere, but never had a sitdown listen. 

Found them again wandering around YouTube. 

That hit the memory bank. Then I had to know more. Found the Saving Country Music article from Friday. Found a gossip column on dlisted. Miranda might have caught him calling the ex, but whatever it was that was a while back. 

Found a nice little interview on the DMN of Kyle Nix. Oh he's definitely ousux, him and RC both. He said there were Horns on the bus too

I hope Evan can find the way out of whatever hole he's digging for himself. 

On 5/14/2019 at 2:18 PM, Par4 said:

That was tough to watch. They were one of my favorites several years ago. Doesn't resemble their former selves at this point. 

It was absolutely brutal to watch.  Having met them several times, and served them BBQ one night pre-show in Waco, it's tough to see.   It's super hard to resemble yourselves when your frontman can barely stand up, can't remember the words, the keys and the chords.  

He's the humanity/music equivalent of this right nowgiphy.gif:

They just canceled this weekend’s shows, and the wording of the cancellation makes it sound possibly permanent.

Hope Felker gets pulled off the ledge and they survive, but that doesn’t look like a great bet.

Last poster is probably on point

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

They just canceled this weekend’s shows, and the wording of the cancellation makes it sound possibly permanent.

Hope Felker gets pulled off the ledge and they survive, but that doesn’t look like a great bet.

Last poster is probably on point

...so hope I'm wrong. 

I'm not going to dig back through the Facebook group, but someone (not the admin in the other post), who acted connected, posted something to the effect of the band had assembled in Houston to play the show Friday, and when Felker didn't show, someone in management finally tracked him down and he was holed up somewhere and told management, or whomever, that he couldn't do it any more.

I'm guessing the rest of the band had had enough, and I can't blame them.  I would assume we'll start to see them rolling out new projects in the near future.  RC Edwards and Hank Early (steel player) play bar shows in Tahlequah when they aren't on tour.  I think Kyle Nix (fiddle) lives in the area too.  RC is a pretty good songwriter himself (he helped Felker write a lot of the stuff over the years and has a few of his own - 7 Oaks; Drunk, High & Loud off the top of my head), and has been active with his side band RC & The Ambers recently.

Hopefully Felker gets help and keeps making music, but I look forward to seeing what the others do.

• Like 1

The songs and arrangement have always been the hook for me.  Their 4 proper albums are just excellent song after excellent song.  And the band is tight as a duck's ass.  I love their instrumental set up and how the fiddle, electric guitar, and pedal steel (relatively recent addition) all take turns as "lead" instrument.

Felker has a great voice for the material, but that's usually not what connects me to a band/artist.

Man, I have been with them since the first album and have turned at least a dozen friends onto them.  This sucks.

I have seen them around 8 times but the best was on their second album tour when they played Cheatham Street.  I told my girlfriend that was the last time we would be able to see them in a small venue like that.  They tore the roof of of CSW that night.

• Like 2

I had tickets for the Red Rocks show and not surprisingly got an email today that the show has been canceled. They are now saying they will be on an indefinite hiatus. I've pasted the full message below.

From the band:

To Our Fans,

We want to again apologize for the abrupt cancellations of our shows this past weekend. We can assure you that the situation was not in our control.

We want nothing more than the opportunity for to heal, and to not put all of you though this ever again. To have a chance for any of this, we need to cancel all of our remaining tour dates. Turnpike Troubadours will go on an indefinite hiatus until a time we feel that everyone is of strong mind, body and spirit and can deliver what our fans deserve.

Refunds for all scheduled shows can be made at point of purchase. 

To all of you who have given us so much, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. You believed in us, you raised us up, you stuck by us and you gave us more unconditional love than any band could ask for. We are humbled.

We ask that you please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we work to support and encourage. 

Thank you all for everything. We love you!

yeah, that video is sad as hell and gotta kinda feel sorry for the band. I still couldn't help but laugh when after cheap perfume, gin and lies he said, "everybody be really quiet, if you can".

don't know if this is legit, but someone on reddit posted last week: "so Flatland and WCG's managers are confirming they are broken up. allegedly Evan left Houston with his ex wife to 'be a cowboy in Idaho'".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 8:36 PM, tejas60 said:

yeah, that video is sad as hell and gotta kinda feel sorry for the band. I still couldn't help but laugh when after cheap perfume, gin and lies he said, "everybody be really quiet, if you can".

don't know if this is legit, but someone on reddit posted last week: "so Flatland and WCG's managers are confirming they are broken up. allegedly Evan left Houston with his ex wife to 'be a cowboy in Idaho'".

If that's true (about leaving with his ex and moving to Idaho) then I honestly am happy for him.  If, after all the heartache he put her through, she took him back, and is going to help him get clean, then as a man and a fan I'm happy for him.  Hate it for the band, but I'd rather see a happy, clean Evan than a dead one.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

RC Edwards's band (RC & The Ambers) is booking fall shows right now.  Kyle Nix has sat in with them before.  Following those guys on Twitter, it seems like they're close with this dude, and wouldn't be surprised to see at least Edwards and Nix work with him at some point.

• 2 months later...