Turnpike Troubadours appreciation thread

oSuJeff97

"Well there's Idaho..."  
I thought I read somewhere (maybe even on this thread) that he went to Idaho after the band called it quits.

It’s rumored up the thread. That line leaped out to me.

The lyrics make it pretty clear that he was ready to retreat from all of this.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Someone in the TT Facebook group posted a picture of themselves with Felker at a hardware store in Okehmah, OK (where he's from/been living for years).  Looks healthy, and had a huge grin.  Hopefully he gets back into the musical groove, but as far as you can gleam from a single selfie, he appears to be taking care of himself.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Kyle Nix's album is out today.  It's really solid.  The playing and production are stellar.  He's obviously not at Felker's level as a songwriter (in my opinion almost no one is), but there are some damn good tunes in there.  "Manifesto", "Sweet Delta Rose", "Blue Eyes", "Graves", and "Shelby 65" are probably my favorites.  I love all the instrumental transitions as well.  It's definitely put together as an album, instead of a collection of songs.  Perhaps more so than any of the Turnpike albums were.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2020 at 7:42 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Kyle Nix's album is out today.  It's really solid.  The playing and production are stellar.  He's obviously not at Felker's level as a songwriter (in my opinion almost no one is), but there are some damn good tunes in there.  "Manifesto", "Sweet Delta Rose", "Blue Eyes", "Graves", and "Shelby 65" are probably my favorites.  I love all the instrumental transitions as well.  It's definitely put together as an album, instead of a collection of songs.  Perhaps more so than any of the Turnpike albums were.

It’s on Amazon Music Unlimited if anyone subscribes. I added it this morning after seeing this post. 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
10 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

I hope he stays sober and puts some good musicians around him...he is the TT sound, period. It'd also be great if he had the dough to say fuck it. Jeez Lambert must have the golden bermuda triangle. 

I couldn't help but notice the can at his feet was obviously Miller Lite.  Doesn't mean it's his, doesn't mean he was drinking it, and it doesn't mean that he hasn't found an ability to consume responsibly when he's not "on the road" (Hayes Carll refers to himself as "road sober" - doesn't drink while touring, but will at home with his wife and friends).  But it was hard not to notice.

My hope is that this indicates his desire to play music in front of people again.  I'd have to imagine that the rest of the guys in Turnpike would jump at the opportunity to make that kind of money again.  I'm sure there were some raw wounds, but time heals everything, and money has a way of getting people past their issues with each other.

If I had to bet on anything, it would be a Felker solo album announcement coming out in 2021.  Hopefully some kind of tour attached.  Even if he just had a few residencies set up to minimize travel on his end, I would drive a long damn ways for that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 11:26 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I couldn't help but notice the can at his feet was obviously Miller Lite.  Doesn't mean it's his, doesn't mean he was drinking it, and it doesn't mean that he hasn't found an ability to consume responsibly when he's not "on the road" (Hayes Carll refers to himself as "road sober" - doesn't drink while touring, but will at home with his wife and friends).  But it was hard not to notice.

My hope is that this indicates his desire to play music in front of people again.  I'd have to imagine that the rest of the guys in Turnpike would jump at the opportunity to make that kind of money again.  I'm sure there were some raw wounds, but time heals everything, and money has a way of getting people past their issues with each other.

If I had to bet on anything, it would be a Felker solo album announcement coming out in 2021.  Hopefully some kind of tour attached.  Even if he just had a few residencies set up to minimize travel on his end, I would drive a long damn ways for that.

Careful what you wish for, son. At the beginning of the TT chaos we drove to Wayne, NE (seven hours one-way) only to have the show canceled...  🙂

Evan still owes me about $300 for that one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Careful what you wish for, son. At the beginning of the TT chaos we drove to Wayne, NE (seven hours one-way) only to have the show canceled...  🙂

Evan still owes me about $300 for that one. 

Yeah, I always got lucky in my ~10ish TT shows to never see a bad one or deal with a cancellation.  They were always there on time, and they were always in "fun drunk" mode.  My last show was in July of '18, right before shit got real bad, but they'd already had plenty of off-the-rails moments before that.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, I always got lucky in my ~10ish TT shows to never see a bad one or deal with a cancellation.  They were always there on time, and they were always in "fun drunk" mode.  My last show was in July of '18, right before shit got real bad, but they'd already had plenty of off-the-rails moments before that.

Every show I ever went to was amazing from Floores Country Store, to Round Rock, to Breckenridge Colorado.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/evan-felker-emerges-performing-at-benefit-with-teague-brothers/

Though the appearance was unexpected, music promoter Jennifer Redding was there with camera in hand to capture much of the set. With the Teague Brothers backing him up and while sporting a full-blown mustache, Evan Felker performed “7&7,” “Gin, Smoke, Lies,” “Good Lord, Lorrie,” and “Every Girl.”

evan-felker-teague-brothers-3.jpg

Edited by hullabelew

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Every show I ever went to was amazing from Floores Country Store, to Round Rock, to Breckenridge Colorado.

Same. I always saw them in the Midwest (Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, Minnesota) and they always brought it at 100%.

My final concert was also my favorite. After the above-mentioned Wayne debacle, we rolled the dice a few months later and went to Lincoln (only a four-hour drive this time). They showed up, but Evan seemed really out of it. Didn’t matter, as it was a fairly small venue and the crowd knew every word of every song.  All we needed was a band.  Had a wonderful time. 
If Evan has found sobriety, not just from substances but more so from his demons, then I am really, really happy for him. 

10 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

My final concert was also my favorite. After the above-mentioned Wayne debacle, we rolled the dice a few months later and went to Lincoln (only a four-hour drive this time). They showed up, but Evan seemed really out of it. Didn’t matter, as it was a fairly small venue and the crowd knew every word of every song.  All we needed was a band.  Had a wonderful time. 
If Evan has found sobriety, not just from substances but more so from his demons, then I am really, really happy for him. 

Yeah, I can't put my finger on why I feel this way, but more than most folks who get too far down the rabbit hole of substance abuse, he seems to really have some lurking demons and the booze/drugs were self medicating those (as opposed to being the inherent root of the issue).

Maybe it's projection of the "tortured genius" archetype.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, I can't put my finger on why I feel this way, but more than most folks who get too far down the rabbit hole of substance abuse, he seems to really have some lurking demons and the booze/drugs were self medicating those (as opposed to being the inherent root of the issue).

Maybe it's projection of the "tortured genius" archetype.

Oh for sure. There are some people who are genetically predisposed to addiction... so basically they start binge drinking in high school/college and just don’t have the ability to “reel it in” like most people do.

But certainly many, many addicts are “self-medicating” because of emotional issues/depression/etc.

45 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Oh for sure. There are some people who are genetically predisposed to addiction... so basically they start binge drinking in high school/college and just don’t have the ability to “reel it in” like most people do.

But certainly many, many addicts are “self-medicating” because of emotional issues/depression/etc.

Yup.  Felker strikes me as the latter as opposed to the former.  Regardless of what's driving his struggles, I hope he's found peace and a healthy way to manage it.

My few times talking with him, Felker always struck as having pretty clear social anxiety, which must’ve been hell for someone fronting such a popular band. In the crowd, he was completely different than with only a few folks around. I don’t think the level of success was good for him emotionally, and not in a “it’s gone to his head” kind of way. My wife said the same thing to me independently one night after we had the good fortune of drinking with the band after a show. The guy at the merch table was extremely uncomfortable, but away from the light he was at peace. I personally think the anxiety drove him to over doing things before some shows. The Lambert thing seemed to extend the fish bowl off the stage and really did him in.

My few times talking with him, Felker always struck me as having pretty clear social anxiety, which must’ve been hell for someone fronting such a popular band. In the crowd, he was completely different than with only a few folks around. I don’t think the level of success was good for him emotionally, and not in a “it’s gone to his head” kind of way. My wife said the same thing to me independently one night after we had the good fortune of drinking with the band after a show. The guy at the merch table was extremely uncomfortable, but away from the light he was at peace. I personally think the anxiety drove him to over doing things before some shows. The Lambert thing seemed to extend the fish bowl off the stage and really did him in.

1 minute ago, IDIOTsavant said:

My few times talking with him, Felker always struck as having pretty clear social anxiety, which must’ve been hell for someone fronting such a popular band. In the crowd, he was completely different than with only a few folks around. I don’t think the level of success was good for him emotionally, and not in a “it’s gone to his head” kind of way. My wife said the same thing to me independently one night after we had the good fortune of drinking with the band after a show. The guy at the merch table was extremely uncomfortable, but away from the light he was at peace. I personally think the anxiety drove him to over doing things before some shows. The Lambert thing seemed to extend the fish bowl off the stage and really did him in.

Yeah my wife and I talk about something related and I wonder if Felker has it... we are both pretty social people... like we have no problem in social gatherings, talking to people, etc.  But both of us can’t stand being the “center of attention.”  Like it sounds funny, but we are both EXTREMELY uncomfortable at our own birthday parties, when people sing at us or the whole room is otherwise looking at or watching us.

If I were forced to be in a position where a whole crowd was watching me and listening to me 5 nights a week, I’d be loading up, too.

I’d be a terrible as a popular musician, lol.

I could see that for sure. A lot easier to just get drunk before you get on stage. I remember the first time I had to give a best man speech at a wedding I chugged like 7 beers right beforehand so I wouldn't be nervous.

The reason Silverchair never lasted as a band was because their lead singer suffered from crippling social anxiety. 

8 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Yup.

My cousin, his BIL, and I drank with the whole band (sans Gabe Pearson) before a show in Des Moines one time.  RC Edwards, Kyle Nix, and Ryan Engleman were great hangs.  Just super relaxed, enjoyed chatting with us, and throwing down beers.  Bullshitting, hooting and hollering, and taking turns with the jukebox.  Felker barely said shit, and just nervously glanced around for the most part.  You could tell he was wired completely differently than the rest of them.  At first I thought he was just introverted and observant, but in hindsight I think he definitely has some social anxiety, and getting hammered was the only way he knew how to deal with it.

You nailed it on the head with the Lambert thing doing him in in the end.  He wasn't ready for that kind of spotlight.  Who is?

43 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah my wife and I talk about something related and I wonder if Felker has it... we are both pretty social people... like we have no problem in social gatherings, talking to people, etc.  But both of us can’t stand being the “center of attention.”  Like it sounds funny, but we are both EXTREMELY uncomfortable at our own birthday parties, when people sing at us or the whole room is otherwise looking at or watching us.

If I were forced to be in a position where a whole crowd was watching me and listening to me 5 nights a week, I’d be loading up, too.

I’d be a terrible as a popular musician, lol.

I completely relate to this...and I think that's probably why it was so easy for me to see in Evan.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yup.

My cousin, his BIL, and I drank with the whole band (sans Gabe Pearson) before a show in Des Moines one time.  RC Edwards, Kyle Nix, and Ryan Engleman were great hangs.  Just super relaxed, enjoyed chatting with us, and throwing down beers.  Bullshitting, hooting and hollering, and taking turns with the jukebox.  Felker barely said shit, and just nervously glanced around for the most part.  You could tell he was wired completely differently than the rest of them.  At first I thought he was just introverted and observant, but in hindsight I think he definitely has some social anxiety, and getting hammered was the only way he knew how to deal with it.

You nailed it on the head with the Lambert thing doing him in in the end.  He wasn't ready for that kind of spotlight.  Who is?

Yeah, because Felker was a great dude after the show. Even at the merch table when he was still "working", he was just off, but as soon as he stepped back stage with the band and a couple of folks with the show over, he really relaxed. It was probably seven years or so ago on my birthday when we hung out with the band. I was pretty well lit already, and when they found out it was my birthday, RC picked up a mostly empty bottle of Jim Beam, said "Happy Birthday, IDIOTsavant," took a pull, and then passed it to Evan. He did the same and passed it to me. I tried to pass and said I'm pretty drunk already fellas, but they egged me on and said I had to for my birthday, so of course, I obliged. Took down a little less than half an inch of whiskey to empty the bottle in about 3 gulps (thus proving I was feeling no pain...yet). Evan turned to RC and said, "he drank it like a damned Coke" and slapped his knee laughing...I'm sad I haven't made it into any of his songs yet. Lord knows I paid the price the next day.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Yeah, because Felker was a great dude after the show. Even at the merch table when he was still "working", he was just off, but as soon as he stepped back stage with the band and a couple of folks with the show over, he really relaxed. It was probably seven years or so ago on my birthday when we hung out with the band. I was pretty well lit already, and when they found out it was my birthday, RC picked up a mostly empty bottle of Jim Beam, said "Happy Birthday, IDIOTsavant," took a pull, and then passed it to Evan. He did the same and passed it to me. I tried to pass and said I'm pretty drunk already fellas, but they egged me on and said I had to for my birthday, so of course, I obliged. Took down a little less than half an inch of whiskey to empty the bottle in about 3 gulps (thus proving I was feeling no pain...yet). Evan turned to RC and said, "he drank it like a damned Coke" and slapped his knee laughing...I'm sad I haven't made it into any of his songs yet. Lord knows I paid the price the next day.

About 8 years ago, I owned a little BBQ restaurant and had an advertising deal with a local country station.  I always got free tickets to whoever was playing on Friday Nights, and one weekend it was my good buddy Josh Grider opening for Turnpike.  I called Grider the day before and asked if he wanted me to bring some BBQ up to the green room for he and his guys.  He said "Hell yeah, just make sure to bring some for Turnpike as well."  So I bring the 'cue up there around 5 or so that evening, and Josh is already there and Turnpike was just pulling in.  Got a big hug from Josh and he introduced me to the guys from Turnpike.  We had a great time talking and telling stories about Josh in college, but could tell Evan was in his comfort zone the fewer people were back there in the green room (started looking nervous anytime a bar manager, or other folks were walking by, etc).   But, Evan did tell me "Trey, when you come back up here for the show tonight, don't you dare buy a beer from this place.  Our cooler is right next to the stage, and you're welcome to come drink whatever you'd like out of it during the show."  So I did.  Got blasted, and got a thank you on stage from Evan for the good pre-game meal.  Fun evening.  

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yup.

Well, I’d be willing to give it a go. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...