Turnpike Troubadours appreciation thread

oSuJeff97

I’ve heard rumblings that they may be back together. Watch it be a Black Friday sale or something.

The line up for the Hangover Ball at Cain’s (which they’ve frequently been a part of) lists “Special Guest”.

But it’s probably something stupid like a re-release of “Bossier City”.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The line up for the Hangover Ball at Cain’s (which they’ve frequently been a part of) lists “Special Guest”.

But it’s probably something stupid like a re-release of “Bossier City”.

I’m tempted to go to Kyle Nix and the 38s and RC and the Ambers at Cain‘s next week just to see if Evan shows.

On 3/26/2021 at 11:33 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

It’s not my favorite one of their songs, but if you put a gun to my head and forced to demonstrate why Evan Felker is a genius, it’s probably Exhibit A

Probably was my favorite song of theirs until The Bird Hunter was released. Just an amazing way of showing how self doubt/anxiety can just vanish in an instant. How often do people just worry about so many things in their lives that end up never being problems at all? It was the only song on that album that my brother would consistently skip because he said he felt like it just ended, and when I pointed out that it was because all the anxiety ended when she walked through the door, he said, “shit, I hadn’t even thought of it like that.” It ended up being his favorite song on the album too.

• Like 2

Couple of my best friends are OSU grads and die-hard Turnpike fans.  Have known them my whole life and I don't think I've seen them as happy as they've been this morning.

I'm really happy to hear Evan sounds to have his shit together.  That said, hard times can lend to some powerful art and I cannot wait to see what we get next.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 40acredropout said:

Couple of my best friends are OSU grads and die-hard Turnpike fans.  Have known them my whole life and I don't think I've seen them as happy as they've been this morning.

I'm really happy to hear Evan sounds to have his shit together.  That said, hard times can lend to some powerful art and I cannot wait to see what we get next.  

At the risk of repeating myself for the 10th time, the batch of songs the last 3 years has bred have to be epic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

At the risk of repeating myself for the 10th time, the batch of songs the last 3 years has bred have to be epic.

Absolutely.  Trying to temper my expectations but hard to do.  

Like you, I will likely be moving some things around and dropping some coin to get the first look when return to the stage. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Absolutely.  Trying to temper my expectations but hard to do.  

Like you, I will likely be moving some things around and dropping some coin to get the first look when return to the stage. 

I keep using the analogy that it will be Felker's "Southeastern".

I just hope everything that follows it is better than Isbell's post-Southeastern output.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I keep using the analogy that it will be Felker's "Southeastern".

I just hope everything that follows it is better than Isbell's post-Southeastern output.

Goddamn I hope so.  Cover Me Up, Live Oak, Relatively Easy.  Thinking of equivalent Turnpike pieces delivered with their honky tonk energy gives me goosebumps.    

• Like 1

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/turnpike-troubadours-reunion-evan-felker-interview-1264002/

Great interview.  I always used to think it was weird how musicians always seemed to end up having drinking/drug problems, and finally one day it dawned on me that my handful of nights out per year was their fucking life, their job.  Most of us would be fired for drinking before work.  In their world it was almost expected.  Of course that fucks people up.

Got in the presale queue 10 minutes early and still didn't get tickets...AXS is a beating. Waited in line for seats in rows 2-4 before being told no tickets at 10:10. Jumped in the general admission queue right away, and they were out when I got to the front of the line at 10.25. Why would you not simultaneously get a place in the GA queue if you were willing to buy the non-transferable seats?

Yup, same here.  Got in 20 minutes early.  

I might just not understand how it works but appears to be hundreds of tickets available on Vividseats for > $200.  So do they really have bots that just buy all these up and immediately flip?  Such fucking bullshit.  I'd be happy to pay multiples of face value but it really should be going to... you know, the actual artist.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 40acredropout said:

Yup, same here.  Got in 20 minutes early.  

I might just not understand how it works but appears to be hundreds of tickets available on Vividseats for > $200.  So do they really have bots that just buy all these up and immediately flip?  Such fucking bullshit.  I'd be happy to pay multiples of face value but it really should be going to... you know, the actual artist.  

Same as you. Noticed that almost instantly StubHub had seats available in the $250 range. 

I think the venues have a deal with Stubhub where they only release so many tickets and market the rest through Stubhub. As it gets closer to the show, they’ll randomly release more seats if the tickets aren’t selling quickly enough at outrageous numbers on Stubhub. Was able to randomly snag Astros playoff tickets this way this year by going to the team site long after they’d sold out….it’s fucking criminal.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 12:37 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/turnpike-troubadours-reunion-evan-felker-interview-1264002/

Great interview.  I always used to think it was weird how musicians always seemed to end up having drinking/drug problems, and finally one day it dawned on me that my handful of nights out per year was their fucking life, their job.  Most of us would be fired for drinking before work.  In their world it was almost expected.  Of course that fucks people up.

One thing they have to deal with is a fuck-ton of ideal time on their hands.  I know a guy who was the guitarist for a fairly well known and highly regarded country band from the late 80s thru the 90s.  He told me if you don't have something to keep your mind busy while on the road, you are fucked.  After he got sober, he started learning card tricks and is now an incredible magician, but not professionally.  He just does it to keep himself and people at a treatments center entertained.  He told me a friend of his got sober and found a list of 100 books every man must read, and started at 100, and read his way to number 1. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/8/2021 at 3:08 PM, hullabelew said:

One thing they have to deal with is a fuck-ton of ideal time on their hands.  I know a guy who was the guitarist for a fairly well known and highly regarded country band from the late 80s thru the 90s.  He told me if you don't have something to keep your mind busy while on the road, you are fucked.  After he got sober, he started learning card tricks and is now an incredible magician, but not professionally.  He just does it to keep himself and people at a treatments center entertained.  He told me a friend of his got sober and found a list of 100 books every man must read, and started at 100, and read his way to number 1. 

I know a guy who's a pretty accomplished sideman and has toured with some well known acts. He says playing live in front of several thousand screaming fans is the biggest adrenaline rush you can possibly imagine...then the show ends and they all leave and you're stuck with your bandmates and the road crew. It's incredibly hard to get that "up" and then return to baseline night after night after night. You've got jock sniffers around back stage every night offering you any kind of drug you could want, and eventually you decide to take them up on it to try to prolong that rush, and boom. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/30/2021 at 11:37 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

You speech truth.  I did some music promotion and you are exactly right in your analogy above  Party every night can lead to long term problems.  The more successful you are the greater the temptations.  Just think party, play, party, get on bus and party.  One thing that was standard when I set up the "green room" was the bottle of Titos.  No matter what else they wanted a bottle of Titos was always on the list.  Most of the time, they didn't drink all they asked for but they would load it up the left over booze on the bus or van and roll out.