Turnpike Troubadours appreciation thread

oSuJeff97

Pretty sure I'll be seeing them with Old 97's, Shooter Jennings, and the Bottle Rockets in Mankato, MN this summer.  Fucking stoked for that show!

"A Long Ways From Your Heart" was my favorite album of 2017.  "Turnpike Troubadours" was my favorite of 2015.  They're maybe my favorite band going these days.  Certainly my favorite band whose members are under the age of 40.

I've seen them live 6-7 times.  Always a blast.  Because they do 80% of their shows in Texas or the Midwest, it's easy to make a couple shows a year, even living in the boonies.

Interesting sidenote/tidbit:  I'm a member of a Facebook closed group that functions as a Turnpike message board.  Last Saturday, someone posted a link from an OKC paper that shows an Evan D. Felker being named as a respondent in a divorce.  The post was then deleted.  If this is indeed the same Evan Felker, I have a feeling their best work is yet to come.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Thought I would bring this one over from the Shag.

Going to see them twice this summer... at Red Rocks in June and in KC in July.  Old 97's opening both shows.  Can't wait.  Will be my first time at Red Rocks.

We will be there, too.  A decent amount of tailgating in the parking spots closest to the venue.  Bring a jacket, even it it's warm out.  Can still get pretty chilly in the evenings.  "Better to have this and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it."  Ranger Capt. Woodrow F. Call.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

Hadn't heard of Charlie Crockett before we got our tickets for Red Rocks.  Sometimes he sounds like he's got a mouthful of marbles but I'm really starting to like his songs.

I've seen him open for the Troubadours at least 2-3 times in the past couple of years. I like to watch him perform but don't really get into his music otherwise.

18 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Hadn't heard of Charlie Crockett before we got our tickets for Red Rocks.  Sometimes he sounds like he's got a mouthful of marbles but I'm really starting to like his songs.

Combination of old country, cajun and western swing, with some blues thrown in.  On CDs, it can get kind of old, but he is a fucking hoot at a live show.  Really friendly guy.  One of my buddies at the last show said, "That dude is a fucking minstrel."

22 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Combination of old country, cajun and western swing, with some blues thrown in.  On CDs, it can get kind of old, but he is a fucking hoot at a live show.  Really friendly guy.  One of my buddies at the last show said, "That dude is a fucking minstrel."

Exactly where I'm at with him.  I won't miss a note when he's opening for TT, but I don't listen to his albums much.

Also, these are great:

I swear "The Funeral" could've been written about almost anyone from my little hometown..."Wrecked" as well.

Yeah, they’ve got little hometown down.

“Just a counterfeit James Dean
With a pocket full of delta blues and cheap amphetamine

Her feet up on the dashboard
Like a burned out Betty Paige
Cuz she might have been pretty if she was half her age.”

My wife and I have taken to calling some bro-dads we know CJDs based on that line and how they carry themselves.

I saw them last fall when I was in St Louis for work. Since they play around the midwest a lot and I'm in Missouri, Kansas, and Arkansas a lot for work, I try to keep an eye on show dates with a hope I can catch them a few more times. A friend of mine saw them at the Austin Rodeo and said their set was only 40 minutes. I don't know if that was handed down by the rodeo or what, but she was pissed. She said Evan was drunk AF at the meet & greet. 

This is one of my favorite lyrics ever.  

Oh and lovers they march by, but they ain't like you and I
They all wanna be Hank Williams, they don't wanna have to die

Had to explain what it meant to my wife a year or so ago.

Since then shes used it twice in conversations.

Once with her friend, totally went over her head but made me smile and then when we found out some old friends were getting a divorce.

Married a good one

• Like 1

I've seen the videos of Felker wasted at Steamboat, but I've seen them a bunch of times and he's never been drunk to the point where it took away from the show.  I would say there's a less than 10% chance he'll be fucked up, but that's significant enough one may not buy a ticket.

He is nowhere close to Todd Snider/Replacements level of unreliability.

Regarding the divorce, the other tidbit that floated out is that Felker is the new Mr. Miranda Lambert.  They opened for her last year, and then a couple months ago they canceled some back yard Midwest gigs to open for her again.  Seems like pure baseless speculation, but if that's the case, I think the next record will have some incredibly strong source material.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

16 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

^
Help me out. Always wondered if that was a general Hank reference, a reference to “I’ll never get out of this world alive” or “I’ll be a bachelor til I die”?

What i take it to mean is that everyone wants the great things that come as Hank Williams (fame etc) but they dont want to have to deal with the hard stuff (addiction death etc) that goes along with it.  

I always thought he used it as a metaphor for marriage.  They want the happy marriage but they dont want to deal with the hard times that come along with it.

Evan got that line from a buddy.   A bunch of guys were planning to meet early one morning to get horses ready to ride, but none of them showed up.   So, one guy was left to do all the work.  He said that line, essentially saying that everyone wants to have fun but no one wants to put in the work.    

I never thought about a marriage methophor angle, but could be.  It is a great line though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

Evan got that line from a buddy.   A bunch of guys were planning to meet early one morning to get horses ready to ride, but none of them showed up.   So, one guy was left to do all the work.  He said that line, essentially saying that everyone wants to have fun but no one wants to put in the work.    

I never thought about a marriage methophor angle, but could be.  It is a great line though. 

Cool story

Just as a reminder from oSuJeff97 from the other site:

"Yeah so let's hash this out... I think Felker's recurring characters are:

• Jimmy - mentioned/subject in The Funeral and The Mercury; is likely the narrator of Good Lord Lorrie.
  • Lorrie - mentioned/subject in The Mercury, Good Lord Lorrie and The Housefire; is also very likely "that girl" mentioned in The Bird Hunters.
  • Unnamed Narrator - narrates The Bird Hunters, The Mercury, The Housefire and The Winding Stair Mountain Blues.
  • Danny - Unnamed Narrator's friend in The Bird Hunters. Possibly the troubled friend of Unnamed Narrator in The Winding Stair Mountain Blues.

One I'm not sure about is Easton & Main. The narrator could either be Jimmy or Unnamed Narrator as it talks about following/chasing a girl from the country to Tulsa.

What do you think? Did I miss any? :)"

This is a damn good summary and easy to steal...however, it's some other girl in Tulsa in The Bird Hunters (because that doesn't seem like Lorrie at all, and because he's talking about someone in Tulsa in Easton & Main on the album and their original EP), and he comes back to town to come together with Lorrie in "The Mercury" and "The Housefire".  The more I look at it, it's the narrator that chases the girl not named Lorrie to Tulsa. 

Lorrie is the girl in Tulsa.  The Mercury puts her there.  The line in Bird Hunters "if you'd married that girl, you'd married her family, you dodged a bullet my friend" references the fact that Lorrie's family hates the narrator of Good Lord Lorrie, whom I believe is the subject (but not narrator) of the The Bird Hunters.

I think the narrator of The Bird Hunters is also the narrator of Down Here, and that the subject of all these songs (the guy involved with Lorrie)  is a slightly fictionalized Felker.

On 4/7/2018 at 9:01 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I've seen the videos of Felker wasted at Steamboat, but I've seen them a bunch of times and he's never been drunk to the point where it took away from the show.  I would say there's a less than 10% chance he'll be fucked up, but that's significant enough one may not buy a ticket.

He is nowhere close to Todd Snider/Replacements level of unreliability.

Regarding the divorce, the other tidbit that floated out is that Felker is the new Mr. Miranda Lambert.  They opened for her last year, and then a couple months ago they canceled some back yard Midwest gigs to open for her again.  Seems like pure baseless speculation, but if that's the case, I think the next record will have some incredibly strong source material.

They're opening again for a portion of the Miranda Lambert/Little Big Town tour this summer.  At least the crowd will get to hear some country music.

Saw TT last fall in Atlanta just after their last album release.  Hell of a show, and Hulla's assessment of Crockett is spot on.  Although Bird Hunters remains my favorite due to the hunting and shotgun references (Belgian-made Browning  - my Dad's exact line when showing off his shotguns) and the narrowly dodged bullet of a fiance's family, Unrung is an outstanding song as well, along with Housefire.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think this entire experience is going to be some grade A songwriting fodder.

Going from being unknown outside of the world of Americana music fans to being Mr. Miranda Lambert overnight is a gigantic change in life situation.  A small town kid just got shoved into the limelight real quick.

It's also sort of hilarious trying to watch these tabloid rags explain who Felker is and what Turnpike Troubadours are.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2018 at 4:53 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

Thought I would bring this one over from the Shag.

Going to see them twice this summer... at Red Rocks in June and in KC in July.  Old 97's opening both shows.  Can't wait.  Will be my first time at Red Rocks.

As of now, looks like 87* with a moderate chance for rain up there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone else happen to go to the Red Rocks show last week?

It was pretty damn incredible. That's by far the most people I've ever seen at a Troubadours show.  I know Red Rocks holds close to 10k and the thing looked damn near full.

Also that was my first time at Red Rocks... and holy shit... all I can say is if you've never been to a show there, put it on your bucket list IMMEDIATELY.  I would post pics, but no pics do that place justice.

Would have loved to make Red Rocks.  My cousin and his GF went and had a blast.

Going to see them in 3 weeks with Old 97's, Bottle Rockets, and Shooter Jennings at an amphitheater in southern Minnesota.  Pretty stoked for that.

I would bet there's never been that many people at a Turnpike show either.  Usually they're playing theaters that hold a third of that.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's a bit repetitive at this point, but do not miss these guys when they're near.  I've seen them twice so far this year and they were pure smoke both times.

And assuming this Miranda Lambert thing blows up like the rest of her relationships, Evan's going to have one hell of an album up his sleeve next go round.

I don't think they've hit their peak yet.  Also, they really need to record RC Edwards' "Drunk, High, and Loud".

• 2 months later...

The Turnpike Troubadours’ two-night stint at ACL Live in Austin November 30 and December 1st is still on for the moment, as is their appearances at Cain’s Ballroom in Tulsa on New Years Eve, their appearance at Music Fest in January 2019 in Colorado, and their appearance at Mile 0 Fest in Key West, Florida in late January, early February 2019. All other posted dates are still scheduled as of this moment.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/the-turnpike-troubadours-put-current-tour-on-hold-after-personal-issues/

Several weeks ago Miranda and Evan announced their break-up, and we had tickets to see them play in northeastern Nebraska a couple of weeks later.  One by one TT was canceling their shows, each day, one by one.  We checked websites before leaving on our six-hour drive.  Show is still on.  Get there and there's a big sign on the door that the show was canceled.  

Oh well.  I wish they would have just issued a blanket cancellation like this one, instead of canceling each show the afternoon of.  I wish him the best, and hope he gets his shit figured out.