Turnpike Troubadours appreciation thread

oSuJeff97

7 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Probably "Close the Bets".  Was one of the lead singles.  It's really good too.

Seeing them in Lincoln in a couple of weeks. You got a place to eat prior to the show?  I realize you’re on the opposite end of Iowa, but I didn’t know if your shenanigans ever took you to eastern Nebraska. 

9 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Seeing them in Lincoln in a couple of weeks. You got a place to eat prior to the show?  I realize you’re on the opposite end of Iowa, but I didn’t know if your shenanigans ever took you to eastern Nebraska. 

Occasionally.  I actually saw them at the Bourbon in '16.  It was a great show, but my buddy and I were kind of in a hurry that night and ate at the Fuzzy's across the street out of convenience and familiarity.

I've been out in Lincoln 3 or 4 times (mostly around football games before Nebraska left), but all of those were more "drinking with the guys" secnarios than looking for a quality meal.  I know Omaha better.

16 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

I did just see there's a Buzzard Billy's close to the arena in the Haymarket area (which is pretty cool in general).  It's a chain, but there are only 4 of them in the world:  La Crosse WI (close to me), Des Moines, Lincoln, and (strangely) Waco.  Pretty damn solid Cajun food.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

another new one

I fucking love this song. Huge chorus, heavy Celtic influence that a lot of their best work has - The Housefire in particular (I hear a lot of Scott Miller “Highland County Boy” which they used to cover here too), a little zydeco, and some lyrics that only come from Evan Felker.

Felker has said more than once on a given song that he was trying to do (James) McMurtry and I see that in this. That chorus has a non-obvious melody that just ear worms your brain, in the same way I’ve always felt the vastly underrated The Hard Way does.

I'm going to see Turnpike Troubadours, The Avett Brothers and Old 97's in Bonner Springs, KS in 2 weeks. 
Literally 3 of my 5 or so favorite bands playing the same show. So fucking pumped. 

I’ll be there as well with a bunch of my cousins. Should be a banger!
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
Turnpike, Avett Brothers, and Muscadine Bloodline. I thought of our conversations when I saw that giant fucking bottle of Dorothy Lynch. 

I’m going Saturday in KC with Old 97s and Avetts. Absolutely pumped.

I can’t properly explain my hatred of Dorothy Lynch dressing and it’s enduring association to the western Midwest, but I know you can at least wrap your head around it.

46 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

How was the show, @Kennythetiger?

Love the new album.  I wouldn't say it's better than Self Titled or A Long Ways From Your Heart, but it's really fucking good and I'm damn glad to have it.

It was good. Avett Brothers fucking brought it. My brother really likes them, but I don’t follow them much and went in rather blind. Great performance. 
I don’t know if it’s my advancing age or what, but I couldn’t understand a goddamn word that Evan sang last night. Really reminded me of Willy Braun when we saw Reckless Kelly.  Didn’t matter, though. Great time, although the Bourbon Theater several years ago remains one of the best times I’ve ever had at any concert. 
When those boys hit the opening riff to “The Bird Hunters”, everything is right with the world. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 12:40 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

The Avett Brothers did bring it. Hard. Turnpike then topped them.

Old 97’s were a little more chill than expected, but I got to shake Murry’s hand after their set, so that was rad.

Dude that's awesome. I got a chance to meet Murry after the show the last time I saw Turnpike and Old 97's in Bonner Springs... maybe 2018 or so? 

I think the bill that night went Old 97's-Turnpike-Jason Isbell, and Murry was just hanging out over there on the left side of the stage by where the concessions and bathrooms after their set just talking to everyone who came up. Super nice dude.

And yeah my friends and I were talking about how the Old 97's sounded... it was like the sound mixing was bad... like the vocals were way too loud and the the music wasn't loud enough. Like when Avett Brothers came on it was like the volume went from 7 to 11. I know they have more instruments but damn it was like night and day.

Don't know if that was a venue issue or an Old 97's issue, but it was noticeable.

And yeah overall that show was so badass. Where were you sitting? 

36 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Dude that's awesome. I got a chance to meet Murry after the show the last time I saw Turnpike and Old 97's in Bonner Springs... maybe 2018 or so? 

I think the bill that night went Old 97's-Turnpike-Jason Isbell, and Murry was just hanging out over there on the left side of the stage by where the concessions and bathrooms after their set just talking to everyone who came up. Super nice dude.

And yeah my friends and I were talking about how the Old 97's sounded... it was like the sound mixing was bad... like the vocals were way too loud and the the music wasn't loud enough. Like when Avett Brothers came on it was like the volume went from 7 to 11. I know they have more instruments but damn it was like night and day.

Don't know if that was a venue issue or an Old 97's issue, but it was noticeable.

And yeah overall that show was so badass. Where were you sitting? 

I was close to the stage in the assigned seating on the right hand side as you were viewing it from the audience.  Closest to Kyle Nix when Turnpike played.  We snuck down into the very front during the encore.  

I had my eye out for any OSU gear.  I wasn't wearing ISU gear though, so it wouldn't have been obvious.

Definitely thought it was a mix issue with Old 97's.  It seemed very muted/muddled, which really threw me off because the last time I saw them open for Turnpike in a very similar venue they sounded amazing.  That was an ampitheatre in Mankato, MN.  It was in 2018 and probably the same tour you're referencing.  Shooter was opening the set that night.

54 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I was close to the stage in the assigned seating on the right hand side as you were viewing it from the audience.  Closest to Kyle Nix when Turnpike played.  We snuck down into the very front during the encore.  

I had my eye out for any OSU gear.  I wasn't wearing ISU gear though, so it wouldn't have been obvious.

Definitely thought it was a mix issue with Old 97's.  It seemed very muted/muddled, which really threw me off because the last time I saw them open for Turnpike in a very similar venue they sounded amazing.  That was an ampitheatre in Mankato, MN.  It was in 2018 and probably the same tour you're referencing.  Shooter was opening the set that night.

Ha I wasn't wearing any OSU gear, but I did see a few who were.

We were sitting just to the left of dead center in that second level of seats above the "floor seating" so normally an ideal spot, sound wise... Avett and TT sounded awesome... Old 97's sound was definitely off.

@Celery Man

I didn’t want the Isbell dudes scolding us for hijacking their thread. 
I can’t think right now of a song that hits truer to me than “The Funeral”. I am not sure if it’s my criminal defense practice, my in-laws, or both, but it’s like Evan was in the same room with me when he wrote that song. The little blurb about a deceased dad’s pistol finding its rightful owner after everyone else goes to bed- holy shit. 
“The Bird Hunters” is definitely my favorite sing-along song. As mentioned up-thread, the opening notes on the fiddle temporarily fix everything that’s wrong with the world. 
When I was young and my siblings and I were helping my dad with manual labor on our ranch, Dad would sing “John Henry”. Quite loudly. 
He must have passed that on to me, because “Long Hot Summer Day” is my manual labor song. It’s not originally a TT song, but I sure like their version. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 6:44 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

I fucking love this song. Huge chorus, heavy Celtic influence that a lot of their best work has - The Housefire in particular (I hear a lot of Scott Miller “Highland County Boy” which they used to cover here too), a little zydeco, and some lyrics that only come from Evan Felker.

Felker has said more than once on a given song that he was trying to do (James) McMurtry and I see that in this. That chorus has a non-obvious melody that just ear worms your brain, in the same way I’ve always felt the vastly underrated The Hard Way does.

Definitely a “turn it up song”.  I hear pieces of John Prine’s “Picture Show” in it sometimes.  My favorite song on the album thus far. 
As a member of the AA thread I read a lot of drinker’s remorse and self-justification in “Chipping Mill”. We anticipated that shitstorm of a few years ago might result in some great songs.  I wonder if RC handed those lyrics to Evan and said “Fix your shit with your wife.” 

7 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Definitely a “turn it up song”.  I hear pieces of John Prine’s “Picture Show” in it sometimes.  My favorite song on the album thus far. 
As a member of the AA thread I read a lot of drinker’s remorse and self-justification in “Chipping Mill”. We anticipated that shitstorm of a few years ago might result in some great songs.  I wonder if RC handed those lyrics to Evan and said “Fix your shit with your wife.” 

It's interesting that you get those teams, cause I can hear it too.  But it wasn't written by the guy who was in that space.  I do kinda like you're hypothetical of RC giving it to Evan for that purpose.

Also, I really do love Chipping Mill.  RC has such an underrated knack for melody, and while he doesn't always write these jaw dropping couplets, his songs are littered with great one-liners and pretty vivid imagery.  The "backstrap from the morning kill/I always kept the best for you" knocked me in the gut the first time I heard it.

52 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

his songs are littered with great one-liners and pretty vivid imagery.  The "backstrap from the morning kill/I always kept the best for you" knocked me in the gut the first time I heard it.

“Gave away all that I could steal” for me. In my mind he’s talking about intangibles, like other people’s time and love. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 6:44 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

I've had this chorus stuck in my head for at least a week. Total ear worm, but in a good way. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1