2019-20 Big 12 thread

Machinator

14 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

Apparently some KU fans are experiencing mild vaginal discomfort over the fact that Kentucky will be playing Tech this year instead of them.

You ain't lyin'.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JAYHAWK50470784/status/1153855437885693952?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1153855437885693952&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftexastech.forums.rivals.com%2Fthreads%2Fkansas-is-taking-the-demotion-well.128233%2F

On 7/25/2019 at 1:32 PM, SimonBolivar said:

I'm tired of the same teams. Can we mix it up some or switch conferences to for the challenge?

I've said for years that how they decide these matchups have been crap.  Seems like we play the same 3 teams on a rotating basis. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rasir Bolton (Penn State transfer) was granted immediate eligibility for us, which is awesome.

We should be a decent, just off-the-bubble type of squad that finishes a game or so above .500 in league play.  I have a feeling that despite having less overall talent, this team will be far more enjoyable to watch than last year's up-and-down talented, but wildly inconsistent squad.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Rasir Bolton (Penn State transfer) was granted immediate eligibility for us, which is awesome.

We should be a decent, just off-the-bubble type of squad that finishes a game or so above .500 in league play.  I have a feeling that despite having less overall talent, this team will be far more enjoyable to watch than last year's up-and-down talented, but wildly inconsistent squad.

Tech is waiting for a waiver for Joel Ntambwe (UNLV transfer). Legit could be the difference for us in the hunt for another Big 12 title. I feel like the NCAA is going to screw him though, just a gut feeling.

Just now, Brian Fantana said:

Tech is waiting for a waiver for Joel Ntambwe (UNLV transfer). Legit could be the difference for us in the hunt for another Big 12 title. I feel like the NCAA is going to screw him though, just a gut feeling.

That's what I assumed with Bolton, but it worked out.

• 1 month later...

BPI Rankings

Interesting... BPI has KU at #14 with ISU at 9 and Baylor at 10.  The reason I say interesting is because of the opening statements:

A breakdown of the machinations of BPI can be found right here, but the abridged version is that in the preseason, ratings are built on four factors:

• Quantity of experience on roster (including transfers)

• Quality of that experience

• Recruiting rankings for incoming freshmen, with an extra emphasis on five-star players

• Coach's past performance

ISU has almost none of that.

Regardless, Tuesday night is a hell of a kickoff night.  1v2 and 3v4.  Can't wait for basketball to get going.

On 9/29/2019 at 10:53 AM, Kennythetiger said:

I wonder if any old bastards like me would like to see KU-Missouri. 

Steve Stipanovich and then Derrick Chievous right through my adolescence and falling in love with sports.

and some dude named Manning at KU...

On 9/29/2019 at 10:53 AM, Kennythetiger said:

I wonder if any old bastards like me would like to see KU-Missouri. 

We just announced the rivalry will resume next season. I’m not too excited. They suck. We don’t. We gain nothing. I understand it was going to come back at some point, but arbitrarily now makes it feel like we are going back on our promise to never play again. We should have waited a full 10 or 15 years. This only helps MU recruit in the KS/MO area where we have typically won the battles with a few exceptions. 

We're going to suck, I think.  You don't need to worry about my hand-wringing this year, because I expect nothing.

We have some decent pieces, but we don't have anyone outside of Haliburton that can shoot the 3 with any consistency, and I have concerns about the defensive glass.  Not being able to score in bunches combined with issues in limiting second chance points is not a recipe for success.

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We're going to suck, I think.  You don't need to worry about my hand-wringing this year, because I expect nothing.

We have some decent pieces, but we don't have anyone outside of Haliburton that can shoot the 3 with any consistency, and I have concerns about the defensive glass.  Not being able to score in bunches combined with issues in limiting second chance points is not a recipe for success.

Already starting with the reverse jinx huh? Kidding..

There are a lot of analysts that are high on ISU, I can't see why to be honest.  They are giving Prohm a ton of credit and they are really playing up the addition by subtraction game.  I get both to an extent, but you can't lose 4 of your top guys to the NBA/transfer and say "they'll be better without them".  I also think Prohm is a decent coach but not yet in the top tier of the league.  ESPN had an article saying ISU was going to win the league.  Absolutely insane to me but I guess that journey starts tonight!

19 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Phew. This Tech team may be very young but the talent upgrade is real.

This group seems like they are soaking up the coaching like a sponge. Honestly, I am surprised at how they defended and rebounded. Played everyone at all times during the game and the Defense never seemed to wane. 

Lubbock and the students certainly showed up. Like to see that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

This group seems like they are soaking up the coaching like a sponge. Honestly, I am surprised at how they defended and rebounded. Played everyone at all times during the game and the Defense never seemed to wane. 

Lubbock and the students certainly showed up. Like to see that. 

There will be more than capable offense on display by the Red Raiders, but after last season’s example; Beard and Tech’s calling card will be in your face, suffocating, frustrating as hell, hotter than the sun’s intensity defense, whose goal is to make the opponent want to tap out and quit.

Much fun.  For us...

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

1-0. 

Not much to take away from a glorified exhibition game, but I'll take that over stumble fucking around any day.  9 guys played 13+ minutes, but I'm guessing we'll settle on a pretty regular 8 man rotation eventually.  3 point % was solid, particularly Jacobson, our 4.  He chucked a lot of them last year and was pretty awful at it, but he went 3/5 last night.  I realize it's lesser competition, but most of the 3s he attempted last year were uncontested anyhow, because opponents just let him shoot them after figuring out he wasn't a threat.

If he can step out and be a legitimate deep threat, it would definitely add a dimension this team has lacked, and absolutely change how teams guard us.  But it's one game against absolutely no one.

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Also, not Big 12, but involving former Big 12 on multiple levels, this little slice of athletic eroticism happened last night.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401166017

So I just learned that UC-Riverside is the Highlanders.  And that UN-L still sucks at basketball

Not an impressive start to the year. Freshman jalen Wilson broke his ankle in 20 seconds and looks to be out minimum 3 months but Self doesn’t expect him back this year. With the early transfer out, an open schollie, and lightfoot redshirting that means we have 9 scholarship players. One more injury and our season is effectively over.