2019-20 Big 12 thread

Machinator

And Dana altman is right there with Lon Kruger. Guys that will never get huge credit but will always be seen as very solid coaches with a few big time wins in their B+ careers.  They just so happened to be at KSU at the same time Altman as Lon’s assistant. 

I thought the turnout in Midland was better than expected. I watched it on the Tech TV feed streaming...which was awesome because no commercials. Timeouts were silent on commentary and just arena shots/noise. Much appreciated. 

Offensively, Tech looked great but HBU was not interested in playing defense. Opposing staffs are going to pull their hair out prepping against Tech. Turnovers were high, but assists and rebounding...AND shooting percentage. Again, all this gets real in Big 12 play. Which again ought to be solid. 

OSU looking much better from what i saw tonight. Texas fans may not be on board with their guys yet, but Im betting that they are in the mix at the end. Beating Purdue on the road is the tits.

23 hours ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

I thought the turnout in Midland was better than expected. I watched it on the Tech TV feed streaming...which was awesome because no commercials. Timeouts were silent on commentary and just arena shots/noise. Much appreciated. 

Offensively, Tech looked great but HBU was not interested in playing defense. Opposing staffs are going to pull their hair out prepping against Tech. Turnovers were high, but assists and rebounding...AND shooting percentage. Again, all this gets real in Big 12 play. Which again ought to be solid. 

OSU looking much better from what i saw tonight. Texas fans may not be on board with their guys yet, but Im betting that they are in the mix at the end. Beating Purdue on the road is the tits.

It's hard to tell where Tech is right now. Beard is clearly treating these early games like practice and is rotating through the entire roster as quickly as he can no matter who is playing well or who isn't. Some of the newer guys are having trouble being in the right position at the right time on defense but that's to be expected.

Tenn St hung in the game for 30 min with Tech. Field shooting was awful for Tech, defense was not. Tech won at the FT line by being extremely aggressive on offensive end. 32/38 points at the line. Im sure that this wasnt the “plan” but it ended up that way with early foul trouble. 

After Sundays homegame, Tech’s season gets interesting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Im all thumbs on this. Im not going to pretend outrage. I got no clue on what determines a denial. Is it case by case or academics or circumstance? Id like to know in general. 

NCAA is such a mystery on things like this.  All other UNLV  transfers were approved.  And the NCAA doesn't have to state a reason.

5 hours ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Im all thumbs on this. Im not going to pretend outrage. I got no clue on what determines a denial. Is it case by case or academics or circumstance? Id like to know in general. 

You might as well ask for a standardized process for the wind blowing...

So arbitrary that Izzo just resigned from the coaching committee that helps decide these things. Said that the NCAA doesn’t care about consistency. I’m really starting to like all of these schools, coaches, and states telling the ncaa to fuck off. Gives me hope that KU will get a slap on the wrist. 

Texas Tech, in Lubbock, trailed Long Island University 42-41 at the half as the visitors hit a wild three at the buzzer.  Then Texas Tech remembered that they are Texas Tech and not Texas State or West Virginia Tech and outscored the Sharks (nee, Blackbirds) 56-24 in the second half.  Freshman Jahmi'us Ramsey scored 27

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

Texas Tech, in Lubbock, trailed Long Island University 42-41 at the half as the visitors hit a wild three at the buzzer.  Then Texas Tech remembered that they are Texas Tech and not Texas State or West Virginia Tech and outscored the Sharks (nee, Blackbirds) 56-24 in the second half.  Freshman Jahmi'us Ramsey scored 27

I was entertained. 

11 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

I was glued to the tv. (And my Modelos😎)

Tech did not play bad the first half. Turnovers were even and Tech had the rebounding edge. I thought we were fine despite all the shots going in for LIU. Tech briefly switched to 3/4 trap 3-2 zone. Then to begin the 2nd they went to a half court trap/man. Then just went back to man up standard. 

Honestly I think the wave after wave of fresh legs Tech is doing this season is the real tell. Were just wearing undermanned teams that only go 7-8 deep. They crashed with 16 minutes to go and the lead ballooned. 

OKST v. Syracuse tonight at 6:00 from Brooklyn. Next Wednesday vs. Georgetown from GIA. We've looked pretty good thus far, but we'll finally play someone worthwhile. It's interesting that some of our freshman look better than our three starting seniors. That's going to be tough for Coach Boynton when you want senior leadership, and all three are capable, but the young guys will need significant playing time, especially if the seniors are struggling. All three are limited defensively. 

I know Syracuse isn’t what they’ve been but damn I like my Cowboy team. Matched every adjustment and curtailed every Syracuse run. Mike Boyntons the man. I know we have a ceiling and we’ll see it in conference play, but I think it’s higher than most think. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I know Syracuse isn’t what they’ve been but damn I like my Cowboy team. Matched every adjustment and curtailed every Syracuse run. Mike Boyntons the man. I know we have a ceiling and we’ll see it in conference play, but I think it’s higher than most think. 

They looked good. Baylor played and beat 'Cuse in the first round of the NCAA back in March. The name strikes fear into others based on their past, they haven't been at their peak in some time now. Their coach is 75. Holy shit! 

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Syracuse is an odd one in that their zone can be a monster headache if it gets setup and they’re draining their shots on the other end...but when they shot like 30% we were able to run them out with quick scores, helped by some serious emergence of Yor and Likekele this year.  

Feel like the starting five is set and it’s promising to see our sophomores leading the charge, Waters needs to chill on the turnovers and Cam should focus his offensive game close to the basket   Still not sold on halfcourt execution but I think there’s a ton of teams that feel the same way.  

I was skeptical about Boynton but not sure how much of that was just plain feeling burnt after dickhead Underwood left...but was refreshing to see appropriate timeouts to stop or adjust to runs, sub in some low-minutes guys as the lead stretched to 15+ but yank them when orange caught up a bit, and intelligently use depth to manage the game once we got out of that early slump.  

Here’s hoping he pans out better in the long run than TF did, and has enough gratitude to Holder to not bounce quickly if he has sustained success.  He deserves some GIA like I remember back in 98-02, and overall seems like an enthusiastic young guy who really believes in the program...that counts for a lot with me.  

Edited by Homercles

No doubt Tech will be a handful by the end of the season, but they haven't played anyone worth a shit yet. Sagarin has their SOS as 349th/353 and KenPom has it as 352nd/353. Tomorrow's game against Iowa will be the first effort against a squad ranked in the top 200. Louisville in a couple weeks will be the first opportunity to see them play a real solid team. 

9 hours ago, Blotto said:

No doubt Tech will be a handful by the end of the season, but they haven't played anyone worth a shit yet. Sagarin has their SOS as 349th/353 and KenPom has it as 352nd/353. Tomorrow's game against Iowa will be the first effort against a squad ranked in the top 200. Louisville in a couple weeks will be the first opportunity to see them play a real solid team. 

The way things are going, Louisville will be #1 ranked team by then. Unless the jinx hits them before the Tech game. 

It hasn’t been a good November for teams once they are ranked #1.

12 hours ago, Homercles said:

Syracuse is an odd one in that their zone can be a monster headache if it gets setup and they’re draining their shots on the other end...but when they shot like 30% we were able to run them out with quick scores, helped by some serious emergence of Yor and Likekele this year.  

Feel like the starting five is set and it’s promising to see our sophomores leading the charge, Waters needs to chill on the turnovers and Cam should focus his offensive game close to the basket   Still not sold on halfcourt execution but I think there’s a ton of teams that feel the same way.  

I was skeptical about Boynton but not sure how much of that was just plain feeling burnt after dickhead Underwood left...but was refreshing to see appropriate timeouts to stop or adjust to runs, sub in some low-minutes guys as the lead stretched to 15+ but yank them when orange caught up a bit, and intelligently use depth to manage the game once we got out of that early slump.  

Here’s hoping he pans out better in the long run than TF did, and has enough gratitude to Holder to not bounce quickly if he has sustained success.  He deserves some GIA like I remember back in 98-02, and overall seems like an enthusiastic young guy who really believes in the program...that counts for a lot with me.  

We were all skeptical of Boynton, because nobody knew who he was, and the perception at the time was that Holder was cheap with Underwood (we found out later that he struck a ridiculous deal with Illinois first while also coaching us for the tournament, then demanded more, fuck that, and fuck him). Not only does Boynton seem to be good with timeouts and drawing up plays during breaks, he’s also damn likeable and a hell of a recruiter. This year’s seniors have limitations (Lindy is streaky and turnover prone, McGriff seems lazy sometimes, Ziggy can’t guard) but the young guys are talented as hell and next year’s incoming class will be stout as fuck with Cade Cunningham, even though he’ll only be here one year. I feel this years team can make a serious tourney run and the young guys will be seasoned for next year with Cade. The sky’s the limit next year.

Edited by 'stache