2019-20 Big 12 thread

Machinator

Too many Turnovers. Poor shooting. If it werent for the D and rebounding...Still, Im pretty cool with the fight. The claw back. 

The youngsters were definitely off their game under the spotlight for the first time. 

Iowa has a nice team, and they were pumped to play us. We better get use to it, because this is what we can expect every night.

30 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Iowa lost to DePaul by 30 at home. What in the actual fuck?

We couldn't hit a 3, missed like a dozen layups and were shit from the FT line. Just one of those games and not especially surprising given the sheer number of true freshmen we are leaning on. Also, I'm not usually one to complain about the refs, but I've never seen so many illegal screens and non-called travels in a single college basketball game in my life.

• Like 1

Iowa played physical basketball like what this young Tech team will experience in Big 12 play (and hopefully tournament play).  They hadn’t experienced physical D-1 play like that until last night. Part of the growing up process, and I hope they can learn from it because they will get a much much heavier dose of it in conference play. 

I think that had to impact their psyche and consequently their shooting, which was absolutely abysmal. 

Edited by Uncle Nate

Yeah, last year was the best season in Tech’s history. This season, I want to see Beard mold these guys into a much, much younger team.  I don’t mind the quality opponents, as it will help later.

It didn’t necessarily ‘click’ for Owens or Mooney last year until January or so...

Lots of work to still put in.  Gonna be fun to watch...

Tech is about 2-3 years from being a perennial power. I say that because they have to build the old and young depth. Right now they are in a position where it is a rebuild (last year was thought to be one). More talent incoming for 2-3 years means you’ll have great upperclassmen and talented underclasses. Then you have great continuity. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Tech is about 2-3 years from being a perennial power. I say that because they have to build the old and young depth. Right now they are in a position where it is a rebuild (last year was thought to be one). More talent incoming for 2-3 years means you’ll have great upperclassmen and talented underclasses. Then you have great continuity. 

Tech’s culture/process is not built on that goal. But, i get exactly what you are stating and it may end up that way with this particular class of 7 freshmen.

But with transfers and egos and the wind blowing....who knows.

11 hours ago, Iceman said:

Yeah, last year was the best season in Tech’s history. This season, I want to see Beard mold these guys into a much, much younger team.  I don’t mind the quality opponents, as it will help later.

It didn’t necessarily ‘click’ for Owens or Mooney last year until January or so...

Lots of work to still put in.  Gonna be fun to watch...

I think comparing Beard teams from year to year is going to be interesting for quite some time. This team has definitely bought in in the moneyball side of things...but now they also are getting opponents very best game.