2019-20 Big 12 thread

Machinator

Who is ready to get their cocks swatted?

WVU is a great first test for KU.  Then straight to hilton before getting #6 baylor at home.  Going to be a tough way to start league play.

How about we play this game... Why isn't your team going to win the big12 this year??

Kansas: We are mediocre at rebounding and we only have 2 guys that can handle the ball at even a 'B' level.  We have yet to finish a tight game against big name competition.

Our game will not be a good one.

We lost to Florida A&M at home.  We're the worst team in the Big 12, and it's really not that close.  If we win 3 conference games, I'll be stunned.  Next year doesn't look any better.  Our AD has a notoriously slow hook, and barring a miracle, ISU basketball is going to be rotting on the vine for a couple of years.

I'm completely detached at this point.  It was the only option for my mental health.  I hope I look like an idiot in a couple of months, but I just don't see where the production is going to come from.

Tech is hurting this year due to Deshawn Corprew getting kicked off the team, a leg injury to one of our promising freshman bigs (probably redshirting as a result), Joel Ntambwe's waiver getting inexplicably denied, and poor shooting (though this was a problem last year too that got solved eventually).

Our freshmen are real promising and we should be able to have a good season but not championship caliber. Will be able to play with anyone as usual due to defense and solid game planning from Beard & Co. If our shooting turns up (and it has a little since Jahmius Ramsey has returned from injury) it could be a different story.

I'm not convinced our "lack of size" down low is even an issue. Beard and Adams are very, very good at gameplanning against talented bigs as we saw against Louisville.

Next year we will be stacked beyond belief, but this year will have some rough spots.

14 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Our game will not be a good one.

We lost to Florida A&M at home.  We're the worst team in the Big 12, and it's really not that close.  If we win 3 conference games, I'll be stunned.  Next year doesn't look any better.  Our AD has a notoriously slow hook, and barring a miracle, ISU basketball is going to be rotting on the vine for a couple of years.

I'm completely detached at this point.  It was the only option for my mental health.  I hope I look like an idiot in a couple of months, but I just don't see where the production is going to come from.

I'm concerned.  Usually you're a concern troll for ISU but this sounds different.  You went from big12 favorite to a very solid team last year and now you want out?  What is Prohm's deal?

15 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Tech is hurting this year due to Deshawn Corprew getting kicked off the team, a leg injury to one of our promising freshman bigs (probably redshirting as a result), Joel Ntambwe's waiver getting inexplicably denied, and poor shooting (though this was a problem last year too that got solved eventually).

Our freshmen are real promising and we should be able to have a good season but not championship caliber. Will be able to play with anyone as usual due to defense and solid game planning from Beard & Co. If our shooting turns up (and it has a little since Jahmius Ramsey has returned from injury) it could be a different story.

I'm not convinced our "lack of size" down low is even an issue. Beard and Adams are very, very good at gameplanning against talented bigs as we saw against Louisville.

Next year we will be stacked beyond belief, but this year will have some rough spots.

With advanced statistics and floor spacing, being oversized can be a massive disadvantage.  If you guys shoot the 3 at 35% or better then you don't need a man in the middle.

2 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I'm concerned.  Usually you're a concern troll for ISU but this sounds different.  You went from big12 favorite to a very solid team last year and now you want out?  What is Prohm's deal?

I really don't know.  I've liked Prohm all along, but this team is just abjectly awful, and we lose the only good player on it next year.  Who isn't good enough to make up for the complete lack of production around him.  He has good recruits coming in, but they'll be raw and there won't be anyone worth a shit running point.  If Haliburton was going to stay, I could stomach this down year, but that's not happening.

Prohm is a very good talent evaluator.  He's an average to above average X and O's guy.  He's absolutely awful at personnel management both in-game and off-court.  Last year's team really underachieved compared to their potential.  If this year plays out like it appears it will, he's going to have missed the Dance 2 outta the last 3 years.  Next year looks no better.  Realistic or not, that's not acceptable at ISU anymore.

19 hours ago, Jhawk said:

With advanced statistics and floor spacing, being oversized can be a massive disadvantage.  If you guys shoot the 3 at 35% or better then you don't need a man in the middle.

Tech is shooting  33.3% ( 82 of 246)from the 3pt arc, which is 8th in conference in 3P made and tied for 5th in 3P%.

That isn't likely to increase against Big XII defenses...but it's cool if it does.

meanwhile Tech is 3rd in defensive rebounds per game, but 9th in offensive rebounds, where the bigs really matter.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

It is beyond me how people who supposedly study college basketball are surprised at what a Chris Beard team does on the court.

The "picked 7th in the Big XII' last season was one mistake, but why would anyone ever discount what the fuck Coach Beard is going to get out of his squad.

The cupboard was never empty.  It is regenerating even stronger now.

I don't see how people are surprised... another fucking opponent taps out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ss13 said:

^ I was just gonna ask, who is the color analyst? Been flipping back & forth, so haven’t heard/seen it.

Hummel was one. Didnt recognize them. Obviously, not much prep done. Changed their tune a bit 2nd half. I dont need a homer call to be satisfied, but some recent knowledge of overall Conference play is not too much to ask. 

5 hours ago, Iceman said:

It is beyond me how people who supposedly study college basketball are surprised at what a Chris Beard team does on the court.

The "picked 7th in the Big XII' last season was one mistake, but why would anyone ever discount what the fuck Coach Beard is going to get out of his squad.

The cupboard was never empty.  It is regenerating even stronger now.

I don't see how people are surprised... another fucking opponent taps out.

Guy from The Athletic who, preseason,  picked Tech 9th in Big 12 race this year.  As conference play begins, he reassesses.  He starts out:

Dear Chris Beard and Texas Tech fans,

This is mostly for you.  I overreacted.

https://theathletic.com/1505138/2020/01/03/reassessing-the-big-12-race-with-conference-play-looming/?source=shared-article

I will never understand why don't foul up 3.  Hoiberg refused it.  Prohm refuses it.  The other team always hits a 3, at least against ISU. Like every single time.

The thought of another year of this, before we even attempt a change, is making me ill.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

20 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I will never understand why don't foul up 3.  Hoiberg refused it.  Prohm refuses it.  The other team always hits a 3, at least against ISU. Like every single time.

The thought of another year of this, before we even attempt a change, is making me ill.

NCG last season.  That's what I'll always remember.

You're just left asking "WHY????"

All of the coaches are old school enough that they like to win on defense. Some smarmy fuck will come along soon and be an advanced statistics guy and foul every possession and win doing it. Then everyone will change. the days of a player that can’t shoot and can’t hit FTs is almost over because that same coach will put in a scrub and foul every trip down the floor to put that guy on the line. We will all love it when it wins games but when it takes over the game we’ll all hate it because it’ll be 4 hours of free throws just to get to the last possession which will be FTs. 

I feel  pretty confident that Baylor is not worthy of their current ranking. Much like what happened with the football team this season they are where they are due to simply winning the games that have been on the schedule up to this point. I remember a few years back when they were #1 for a day, lol. Everyone above them lost over the weekend and so on Monday they were the new #1. And then the day after that they went into Morgantown and proceeded to get Press Virginia'd into oblivion. We'll see, but I'm not buying it yet. 

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Self doesn’t do it, either. He’s sharp enough to have an answer when he doesn’t that usually involves time left and rambles about it...but he never actually commits the foul. Has lost a handful of games because of it.

13 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I feel  pretty confident that Baylor is not worthy of their current ranking. Much like what happened with the football team this season they are where they are due to simply winning the games that have been on the schedule up to this point. I remember a few years back when they were #1 for a day, lol. Everyone above them lost over the weekend and so on Monday they were the new #1. And then the day after that they went into Morgantown and proceeded to get Press Virginia'd into oblivion. We'll see, but I'm not buying it yet. 

This is a different Baylor team, they’re playing man and are stingy in defense. KenPom currently says 10. They’re good.

3 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

This is a different Baylor team, they’re playing man and are stingy in defense. KenPom currently says 10. They’re good.

The defense has been good for a couple of years now as has been rebounding. Early indications were that a couple of the guys were shooters. This seems to be the case with a lot of freshmen, they get touted as the next great shooter. Once they get into the starting rotation those numbers fall off and we see who they are when they're under constant pressure. It'll be lack of shooters that kill the season if/when it does come crashing down. This group has had major slumps already.