2019-20 Big 12 thread

Machinator

Big 12/SEC Challenge final:

No.1 Baylor coasts past host Florida, 72-61, to salvage a tie for the Big 12. The Bears seem to have it all: rebounding, defense, outside shooting, and strong play inside from Gillespie, which means they'll probably get upset in the first round of the NCAAs.

I keed, I keed. Usually root for Texas schools (except aggy) when they're not playing UT; just wish it were any school but Baylor (and aggy).

Edited by Braff Zacklin
score

4 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Those were the days when we railed on Drew for his ineptness.   Many days ago.

Yeah, we ripped on him quite a bit back in the day on HornFans. Nothing but respect for what he's been able to accomplish given the state of the program he inherited.

Wasn't he rumored to be a negative recruiter?

21 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Team is young AF.

It's only going up...

Had several family members at the game.  Said it was the loudest they had ever heard it.  And they are die hards.  My uncle was also pretty drunk to be fair.  Either way, I see another run coming for this team.  The loss may do 'em some good in the long run.  

Those were the days when we railed on Drew for his ineptness.   Many days ago.

Me too. Diehard Baylor fan and appreciated all Drew has done for us—just didn’t think much of his coaching bona fides (players’ coach) to a fault.

Never been so happy to be dead wrong. He is a good coach. He takes nobody recruits and transfers, somehow magically turning them into Freddie gillespies, Royce o’Neales, and taurean princes.

13 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

So the only reason the SEC didn’t win the challenge is because aggy couldn’t beat the worst team in the Big XII at home.

I like it.

The only reason the Big 12 didn’t win was Bc Shaka went full dumbass 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Yeah, we ripped on him quite a bit back in the day on HornFans. Nothing but respect for what he's been able to accomplish given the state of the program he inherited.

Wasn't he rumored to be a negative recruiter?

He stepped on some toes and pushed the limits for sure. AFAIK all of that was done by his assistants so no dirt directly on Saint Scott himself but still... 

He was a scout and a recruiter before he ever was allowed to play coach so I'd imagine that he saw firsthand all the dirt there is to be seen and probably learned a good bit about shoe companies along the way. IIRC he spent a good bit of his time scouting players overseas, 20 years ago when most weren't giving those areas much attention.

There are a couple of very successful former BU players who are the BMD's for the program and I've always assumed that they helped facilitate the commitment of the high profile recruits that he landed some years back. With a couple of degrees of separation of course.

His OJT has been painful to watch at times but he's grown into a decent coach who isn't needing the assistance of the BMD's so much these days. And he's been building teams on his own and shown the ability to adapt to the players that he can get to commit to him and the somewhat unique character of the school.

His enthusiasm rubs some the wrong way and that includes some of his biggest fans. It's just who he is. 

Baylor took a chance on the guy after what was arguably the most disgusting episode in basketball history with Dave fucking Bliss and gave Drew the support he needed in facilities and money. Not many programs would have the patience to engage in such an experiment for so long.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

This is like every game against WVU. We are going to win and all I can do is sit here shaking my head fuming because this kind of basketball pisses me off so much.

Pack up your fucking Twinkies and get the fuck out of town, Bob, you fat tub of shit.

Salty post is salty.

But I know of what you speak. Huggy Bear works the refs and forces them to work, in return.

Didn't watch your game but noticed there were a combined 73 free throws. Christ, that's not good basketball. Glad y'all won.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Meanwhile in Ames, Baylor is up by 15 now with only a few minutes left. Outscoring ISU 42-16 in the paint. Tristan Clark is starting to round back into game shape and is giving good minutes when on the floor. 

Fuck me, Drew has put together a really, really solid team for this season.

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Salty post is salty.

But I know of what you speak. Huggy Bear works the refs and forces them to work, in return.

Didn't watch your game but noticed there were a combined 73 free throws. Christ, that's not good basketball. Glad y'all won.

Yeah, the game lasted 2.5 hours without an OT. Ridiculous.

WVU got T'd up 4 times. 

Edited by Brian Fantana

7 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I really fucking hate WVU basketball. Every fucking game is excruciating win or lose.

They seemed surprised the officials told them to knock it the fuck off...

Enjoyed the win very much, mostly because of how the Red Raiders kept fighting.  There's always seemingly 45-50 fouls in these games.  Neither team is going to give an inch.  I do love that aspect, of how close it is to just a straight up street fight.  I just hope our guys get healthy ASAP...Shannon's gonna be sitting behind the Evinrude for a while...

4 to fucking 1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

They seemed surprised the officials told them to knock it the fuck off...

Enjoyed the win very much, mostly because of how the Red Raiders kept fighting.  There's always seemingly 45-50 fouls in these games.  Neither team is going to give an inch.  I do love that aspect, of how close it is to just a straight up street fight.  I just hope our guys get healthy ASAP...Shannon's gonna be sitting behind the Evinrude for a while...

4 to fucking 1.

Who?