2019-20 Big 12 thread

Machinator

42 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

He's not wrong. The quality of the league is not what it was last year.

We heard the same refrain last season. It’s an exercise in Payhawk myopia.

It’s still (arguably) the best league in the country. 

20 hours ago, Jhawk said:

The league is wayyyy down this year. 

No it isn't.

LMAO at Tech being average-ish.  LOLz   Ain't nobody lining up to play them, willingly.  It is a young as living hell team, that is improving.

Should Tech make the Dance, are you Debbie-downers suggesting some 5/6 seed is gonna be jizzing their shorts at the thought of playing Beard's crew?  Meanwhile, with regard to the League as a whole, Kansas and Baylor are 2 seeds at worst and WVU is probably a 4 at worst.  The Big XII is just falling off the cliff...LOLz.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 2

On 1/29/2020 at 10:52 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

But I know of what you speak. Huggy Bear works the refs and forces them to work, in return.

Didn't watch your game but noticed there were a combined 73 free throws. Christ, that's not good basketball. Glad y'all won.

That is really the only way he knows to coach.  Look at his teams at Cincinnati, which often resembled a prison rec-league, and then when he came back home to replace Beilein. But this was perfect for him because it was how Big East basketball was played for 20+ years.  There was as much or more contact in a Big East basketball game as in a football game, but the refs let it go and let them play for the most part.  We don't have the talented guard play like we did in recent years (since Javon Carter left when he turned 35) so Huggy can't play the press, but we do have probably the most talented big man in Oscar Tshiebwe who ever set foot on campus.  He's just a true freshman and if you get a chance to watch him it is really sweet.  He is good and getting better each game.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Iceman said:

No it isn't.

LMAO at Tech being average-ish.  LOLz   Ain't nobody lining up to play them, willingly.  It is a young as living hell team, that is improving.

Should Tech make the Dance, are you Debbie-downers suggesting some 5/6 seed is gonna be jizzing their shorts at the thought of playing Beard's crew?  Meanwhile, with regard to the League as a whole, Kansas and Baylor are 2 seeds at worst and WVU is probably a 4 at worst.  The Big XII is just falling off the cliff...LOLz.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. The Big 12 is really top heavy compared to the normal depth the conference has with ISU, KSU, & oSu looking like sub 500 teams.

Compared with previous years when you had

2017: 6 NCAA,1 NIT, 2 sub 500

2018 : 7 NCAA,1 NIT, 1 sub 500

2019: 6 NCAA, 2 NIT, 2 sub 500

2020: 5 NCAA, 2 NIT, 3 sub 500 (current projections)

makes it seem like a bit down, but of course bracket matrix has the Big 12 with the top 2 overall seeds right now...

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

Officiating is really one sided in this game, but that's what you get at the Phog.

Kansas is still better anyway.

Agreed, that’s why it’s even more frustrating when they get a little help.

West Virginia is going to beat the shit out of you whether you win or lose the game. Kansas is going to get the zebra ride no matter what. 

• Like 1

Anyone care to explain the Big XII scheduling to me?

Tech has already played WVU twice, but has yet to play OU or UT at all.  Why wouldn't it be a true round robin and then run it back at the other teams' house?

Seems like key injuries or suspensions would play into some fortune/ hardship on the schedule without the opponents being spread out evenly across the slate.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

When us and KSU are this fucking bad, and with the step back Tech took I think it's very fair to say the league is down.

It's not a train wreck, but when 2 of your Top 3 programs in terms of fan passion are in the toilet, it's going to be a drag.

While Tech is rebuilding they are still in games.  Tech will be a monster next year with the young talent developing this year and the talent that will come in and be on the floor next year.  Beard will have this team going deep in the tourney next season.

Just now, Moby Ric said:

While Tech is rebuilding they are still in games.  Tech will be a monster next year with the young talent developing this year and the talent that will come in and be on the floor next year.  Beard will have this team going deep in the tourney next season.

Yeah, they're fine long term but this year is a step back from last year.  All I'm saying.

2 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Yes, they will. Tech might still make a deep run in the tournament this year, just because of how hard they play and the fact that they have one of the absolute best coaches in the country. Although I wouldn't predict it, its certainly not out of the question. They have already shown against Louisville, Kansas, and West Virginia that they can play with the better teams in the land.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

When us and KSU are this fucking bad, and with the step back Tech took I think it's very fair to say the league is down.

It's not a train wreck, but when 2 of your Top 3 programs in terms of fan passion are in the toilet, it's going to be a drag.

Conference needs more star power. Baylor's success is a result of this conference not being as deep as usual. I say this because in spite all of the W's  I'm still not sold on the Bears being a dangerous tournament team. They're a damn good team no doubt and have handled their business up to this point  but they, imho, lack the single player that can take a game over. It seems that from one night to the next there's always a new face leading the charge. Maybe this years team will surprise me but even the 2010 team which was largely made up of no-names had Tweety Carter at the helm. Just seems to me you need that one guy. Not a lot of teams in the conference this year have that one guy.

45 minutes ago, Iceman said:

OU dressed for a funeral.

WTf with the black unis?

Gotta respect Texas for not trick fucking the traditional look. Ever. 

I dont get bent about schools like OSU or ISU going all blacks. But fucking OU? Pfft. Cmon. 

kind of feel like Tech crowd is taking a night off. We dont get this win then were going to have to chase to get in the NCAA. 

3 minutes ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Gotta respect Texas for not trick fucking the traditional look. Ever. 

I dont get bent about schools like OSU or ISU going all blacks. But fucking OU? Pfft. Cmon. 

kind of feel like Tech crowd is taking a night off. We dont get this win then were going to have to chase to get in the NCAA. 

No shit.  They gotta close the deal tonight.  Hopefully Beard is "getting their minds right" right now.

Tech sleepwalks to a win. They have got to get the offense rolling.

Virtually everything went OU's way for 35 minutes or so.  and what is with these punkass motherfuckers who don't do shit against anyone for the whole year, but at the USA, it's like they're throwing the ball into a bathtub from 3?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Tech sleepwalks to a win. They have got to get the offense rolling.

Virtually everything went OU's way for 35 minutes or so.  and what is with these punkass motherfuckers who don't do shit against anyone for the whole year, but at the USA, it's like they're throwing the ball into a bathtub from 3?

Go look at the team box score. Tech shot 55%. Out rebounded. More steals. Low turnovers...across the board a tick or two better. @home. OU has 4 players...5 take the brunt of the minutes. 

and yet, it seemed like ho hum clinic. It was 9 v 4.5. 

I wondered if Chris Beard might find motivation a little more challenging with 4 and 5 star players on his team:

"Chris Beard on Texas Tech radio broadcast postgame, "We got some guys on this team that don't want to be coached...it's new to me." Later, "We got some guys out there that pick and choose which possessions to play defense. It doesn't work that way at this level."

https://twitter.com/WreckEm_Red/status/1224911927916269569?s=20

18 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

Tech didn't look all that much better at this point last year - which is not to say that I expect another Final 4 appearance this season.

They had 7 losses all last season and already are at 8 this year. Last year they also had veterans holding them down and just looked a lot more calm. Not to say they aren't good this year, but they looked very good all of last year. Their UVA style of basketball was more efficient offensively last year and the defense was more sound. Hopefully Chris Clarke is ok for them

3 hours ago, crum said:

They had 7 losses all last season and already are at 8 this year. Last year they also had veterans holding them down and just looked a lot more calm. Not to say they aren't good this year, but they looked very good all of last year. Their UVA style of basketball was more efficient offensively last year and the defense was more sound. Hopefully Chris Clarke is ok for them

Tech was 5-4 in the Big 12 and (IIRC) on a three game losing streak at the mid point of the league schedule last year, and this year they're again 5-4 in the league after 9 games.  That's all I was pointing out, but yes, the veteran leadership that team had (and this team doesn't) ultimately made a big difference in how the season played out last year from that point going forward.