2019-20 Big 12 thread

Machinator

1 hour ago, Tommy Shelby said:

There’s no big men on the team for Tech this year. Losing Tariq hurt more than I thought it would. Moretti also seems to have regressed and doesn’t get the white boy 3 shots he was getting last year

This has been the biggest surprise to me this year. He's had those moments where last year he'd drain 'em and for whatever reason just keeps missing those shots this year. Odd as hell.

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

This has been the biggest surprise to me this year. He's had those moments where last year he'd drain 'em and for whatever reason just keeps missing those shots this year. Odd as hell.

It's not odd, he's a spot up shooter who is not a great ball handler and has been taking a lot of shots off the dribble because he doesn't have a Jarrett Culver etc to create open shots for him.

15 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's not odd, he's a spot up shooter who is not a great ball handler and has been taking a lot of shots off the dribble because he doesn't have a Jarrett Culver etc to create open shots for him.

As much as Beard likes ball movement and the way he drains 'em when he has those shots it seems they'd work on that.

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

I think this is true, but I'd go even farther and say, generally speaking, it's not in his makeup to be the guy with the ball in his hands with the game on the line.  It looks to me like he's feeling the pressure of being one of the leaders of the team this year, when he was always more of a complimentary player in past seasons.  There are some things he doesn't do well, but he's even been screwing up the things he does do well (like shooting FTs) from time to time.

Edited by Dirk X West

I'm going to check out the Massey Ratings on the rest of the regular season.  I think there is a legit chance we only have 3 teams finish with more than 18 wins.  Would be interesting to see how Massey projects things out in each head to head the rest of the year.

5 minutes ago, harpercollins said:

Ok I’ll bite. What is that?

A slugfest. Don't know when or where I ever learned that word but it's been part of my vocabulary forever. I just did the google-fu and nope, nothing. I know I've heard others use it to describe a hard fight but can't seem to find any reference to it anywhere. I'm guessing it's derived from getting punched (tapped) in the mouth (maw). 

I'm still hoping Tech gets like a 10 seed.  The 6 would be shitting bricks...  Not to mention the 8-9 spot( what most people are predicting) virtually guarantees no sweet 16.

Well, until Coach Beard does Coach Beard things...then there might be a shot.

4:1.

4 hours ago, Iceman said:

I'm still hoping Tech gets like a 10 seed.  The 6 would be shitting bricks...  Not to mention the 8-9 spot( what most people are predicting) virtually guarantees no sweet 16.

Edited by Doyle Hargreaves
I fucked up. Beer 14

If I heard right the record for a Big XII team's consecutive win streak is 22 games held by KU. Baylor is at 20 right now but travels to Austin for a Big Monday meeting vs the Longhorns. Is KU's streak in jeopardy? Will Shaka's squad play up to their potential?  Will Scott Drew receive a laurel and hearty handshake? 

7 hours ago, Iceman said:

The 7 seed would be shitting bricks, but your point remains.

7 hours ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

I think you are correct but I also think its all a bit mediocre this year. Wide open. More than ever. 

All of cbb is down. 100% agree. This is a year that the league could have really shined, especially in the tourney. It’s unfortunate that we aren’t going to have that opportunity. 

this is the type of year where a Maryland type team wins it. Have to think that if few doesn’t get it done this year then he never will. Bilas said this is KUs best chance in the last 10 years. Have to think that goes for absolutely everyone except duke honestly. 

Edited by Jhawk

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

All of cbb is down. 100% agree. This is a year that the league could have really shined, especially in the tourney. It’s unfortunate that we aren’t going to have that opportunity. 

this is the type of year where a Maryland type team wins it. Have to think that if few doesn’t get it done this year then he never will. Bilas said this is KUs best chance in the last 10 years. Have to think that goes for absolutely everyone except duke honestly. 

Agree. If KU won it this year all the haters would go ballistic. 
But Dotson is that guy that will close you out and there really isnt anything coaches can do about it. Not everyone has that. 

5 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Gives prohm some cover in my mind. He’s got to be on a blazing hot seat next season right?

He should be on a blazing hot seat right now.

I'm not really sure where the whole deal's at right now.  All I hear from connected people is that donors are losing their minds and threatening to pull donations to the basketball program.  Pollard (our AD) has traditionally been hyper loyal to his hires, but when Prohm was hired it was a poorly kept secret that he wanted to get former ISU assistant (current UNLV HC) TJ Otzelberger, but our President overrode it (or at least applied pressure) to make an outside hire of an experienced coach.  So he may not be as loyal to Prohm as he was to Greg McDermott and Paul Rhoads - each of whom got a year more than they deserved.

I wouldn't be surprised by either his firing or his return.  If he comes back next year, it's Dance or bust, and we might legitimately be worse next year.  Dark times for ISU basketball.  As dark as and hopeless as I've seen them.  McDermott era was at this stage, I guess.  I just thought we were past sinking so low.

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

What are the chances the mayor might return? Would ISU want him? Would he want to come back?

Also hard to tell.

1) The majority of the fanbase would be fucking ecstatic.  When he left, people felt they had been sold a bill of lies.  There was a narrative flying around about coming back to Ames being his dream, and that obviously wasn't the case.  But there's a sense within our fanbase that it's hard to win here unless you really get Iowa State in an intimate sense.

2) I got the impression he had zero interest in ever coming back, however, he's had his head stomped in since leaving ISU.  Prior to the Bulls, he'd been successful at every thing he'd ever done.  He's doing terrible at Nebraska, and that can't sit well with him.  He's had a harsh dose of the real world since leaving ISU (granted, he's been handsomely rewarded for it).

3) I don't know that it would work as well as it did the first time.  The quick rebuild via the transfer market is pretty much the norm these days and he won't be breaking any new ground.  Sometimes you can't go home again.

I really don't have a great solution to this mess, but we're in fucking trouble as a program.

Outside looking in, I felt like everyone knew he was destined for the NBA so there was going to be no hard feelings. Obviously round 2 would mean you expect him for life and to not use you as a stepping stone. i think he could be successful in this league because of him knowing the cultures and being a part of it. He’d be fine with transfers and he’d also probably be the only coach with the weight to clean house coming in day one. 

Went through the schedules and the Massey Ratings on the remaining games.  Here is what is projected for each team:

Baylor: 29-1 with 2 toss up games

KU: 27-4 wiht 1 toss up game

Tech: 20-11 with 1 toss up

WVU: 23-8 with 1 toss up

OU: 20-11 with 3 toss ups

UT: 16-15 with 1 toss up

TCU: 14-17 with 1 toss up

ISU: 12-19 with 1 toss up

OSU: 14-17 with 1 toss up

KSU: 11-20 with 2 toss ups

Please note, that I am not sure if the ratings are taking into account the Halliburton injury, or any other injury. 

I counting a win or a loss within 5% (a 55% win or a 45% loss) as a toss up.  What I am seeing is that the big12 has 3 teams in for sure.  OU has the win-side toss ups (@OSU, Tech, @TCU) if they lose all of those then they are probably out.  Win 1 and they are really pushing their luck. Win 2 and they are in.  Baylor has 2 win-side toss ups (KU, @WVU).  KU has 1 lose-side toss up (@Baylor).  For the record, farmageddon @ISU is a toss up game with KSU.

*I meant 4 teams are definitely in with Tech being the 4th along WVU, KU, and Baylor.

Also, I don't know how anyone can look at this and not think the league is WAYYYY down on the whole.  Usually this time of year ESPN is speculating on definitely 7 and maybe 8 if a team makes a good run.  Sure we have 3 REALLY good teams and 1 damn fine team.  But the rest of the league is mediocre to flat out bad.  If you look at OU's wins they look like this:

@UT - win, 46% chance of win

@ISU - L, 47% chance of win

@KSU - L, 56% chance of win

WVU - W, 44% chance of win

They haven't shown a capability to consistently win tight match up.  Could easily be a 4 team year for the big12.

13 hours ago, Iceman said:

If Tech goes 4-3 in the final 7 with no major injuries, I will be a bit disappointed. Knocking on wood with Shannon, as it is.

'Twill be interesting...

Tech going 4-3 in the last stretch would be a failure.  6-1 or 7-0 is what should be expected.  They have to beat either KU or BU or both.

22 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Went through the schedules and the Massey Ratings on the remaining games.  Here is what is projected for each team:

KenPom actually mashes the win probabilities together to give a statistical projection (rounded to the nearest game for better or worse...I wish he'd do it to tenths of a game).  Looking those over, current numbers project like this...

Baylor 27-3, 16-2 (5.4% chance of unbeaten conference record)

Kansas 27-4, 16-2

West Virginia 23-8, 11-7

Texas Tech 20-11, 11-7

Oklahoma 19-2, 9-9 (this record and a Phillips 66 win, and they're in IMO)

Texas 17-14, 7-11 (happy trails, Shaka)

TCU 15-16, 6-12

Iowa St 13-18, 6-12 (KenPom does NOT adjust for injuries...so this is probably high)

Oklahoma St 15-16, 5-13

K-State 11-20, 4-14

That sums to 91 wins when there can be only 90, such is rounding math.  I would say 5 teams in the tournament is most likely, but that probably relies on OU needing to win games they should and springing at least one mild upset.  Texas is the only other team that could still earn a bid...they're done with KU, Baylor, and Morgantown, but they need to get going right now.

25 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

KenPom actually mashes the win probabilities together to give a statistical projection (rounded to the nearest game for better or worse...I wish he'd do it to tenths of a game).  Looking those over, current numbers project like this...

Baylor 27-3, 16-2 (5.4% chance of unbeaten conference record)

Kansas 27-4, 16-2

West Virginia 23-8, 11-7

Texas Tech 20-11, 11-7

Oklahoma 19-2, 9-9 (this record and a Phillips 66 win, and they're in IMO)

Texas 17-14, 7-11 (happy trails, Shaka)

TCU 15-16, 6-12

Iowa St 13-18, 6-12 (KenPom does NOT adjust for injuries...so this is probably high)

Oklahoma St 15-16, 5-13

K-State 11-20, 4-14

That sums to 91 wins when there can be only 90, such is rounding math.  I would say 5 teams in the tournament is most likely, but that probably relies on OU needing to win games they should and springing at least one mild upset.  Texas is the only other team that could still earn a bid...they're done with KU, Baylor, and Morgantown, but they need to get going right now.

With the way the teams have been playing it certainly feels like it's KU's to lose. BU still has WVU, @ WVU, Tech, & KU  while KU just has @ BU & @ TTU.