2019-20 Big 12 thread

Machinator

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

With the way the teams have been playing it certainly feels like it's KU's to lose. BU still has WVU, @ WVU, Tech, & KU  while KU just has @ BU & @ TTU.

The game in Waco is a virtual coin flip, is a huge game, and obviously skews the numbers a ton...but I do think KenPom having KU a little higher rated than Baylor and Baylor's remaining schedule being harder explains the projected tie even though Baylor currently has the one game lead.

I would still call it Baylor's to lose.  They get KU at home in a game they'll be small favorites in...win that one and the path to even a tie for KU is tough.

Yep. Until Baylor loses at home it is theirs to lose. This is the crunch time of the season though. I’ve felt like KU ha had no chance many years since Bill Self got to Lawrence and teams always stumble down the stretch. Going to be a fun, but I think disappointing, end to the conference slate for Ku. We’ll be VERY lucky to tie it up. 

Tech lost at the FT line but we got absolutely prison raped by the officials in the second half. Beard won't say anything because that's not who he is but the Big 12 owes us an apology.

I'm sure it's coincidence that OSU is honoring the anniversary of their FF team and Eddie Sutton. No way it's related, nope.

Edited by Brian Fantana

7 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Tech lost at the FT line but we got absolutely prison raped by the officials in the second half. Beard won't say anything because that's not who he is but the Big 12 owes us an apology.

I'm sure it's coincidence that OSU is honoring the anniversary of their FF team and Eddie Sutton. No way it's related, nope.

Shut up. Blaming the refs for not being able to beat a 0.500 team? You sound like aggy. So many chances to win at the end, yet we couldn’t convert. Moretti has been so unclutch at the line this year. 

• Like 1

I still like Boynton, but the first half of conference play was unacceptable. Looks like we might be capable of a little stretch run, but the tourney is already out of reach. With what we have coming back next year and the top recruit in the nation (with a couple of other bad ass recruits) next year is make or break for Boynton. If we miss the tourney I just can't support him any more. And realistically, next year should be at least a sweet 16 run.

14 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Didn't really expect to see some whiny bitchassedness from a Tech fan. Did you miss that you got away with a travel in the last minute that would have sealed the game for us? Fuck you anyway, and fuck tech.

Fuck off Xerox U.  Your entire school is a fucking joke and has to constantly steal other schools' traditions, and yes, the officials handed you the win today. 

23 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

Shut up. Blaming the refs for not being able to beat a 0.500 team? You sound like aggy. So many chances to win at the end, yet we couldn’t convert. Moretti has been so unclutch at the line this year. 

I hardly ever blame the refs for anything. We ultimately have ourselves to blame but the officiating was a complete joke. That's not something I complain about much.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Fuck off Xerox U.  Your entire school is a fucking joke and has to constantly steal other schools' traditions, and yes, the officials handed you the win today. 

Lol with the xerox stuff.

image.jpeg.40eee8fa5d4ea60a0951b541233358fe.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Okie Light had help. A lot of help.

Image result for cry jordan gif

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I hardly ever blame the refs for anything. We ultimately have ourselves to blame but the officiating was a complete joke. That's not something I complain about much.

Only when you lose, lol. We were seriously proper fucked by the refs against Baylor. You were not today. Refs suck sometimes, yeah. But cry some more tho.

Edited by 'stache

Welp...there's the Okie Lite team I thought Boynton would have this season.   Sucked from the Tech perspective, but that's what i though they might do all year as they closed the 2018-19 campaign.

Personally, I still feel 5-2 in the last 7 games would be great for Tech.  They just made the remaining schedule a lot less forgiving. It's still very do-able, but gonna have to do it the hard way.

Wreck Em!!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Only when you lose, lol. We were seriously proper fucked by the refs against Baylor. You were not today. Refs suck sometimes, yeah. But cry some more tho.

I mean the only other game I have bitched about the officials this season is when we beat WVU at home, which was way way worse so...

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I agree.( throws up a little)  Refs didn't cost Tech the game.  If anything, they helped Tech stay in it down the stretch.

Great game by your Pokes.  I want to see Boynton get his team over the hump next season.  This campaign has been underwhelming vs what i expected.  Just one guy's opinion.

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I mean the only other game I have bitched about the officials this season is when we beat WVU at home, which was way way worse so...

I know. We just got fucked and opportunities to talk shit are few and far between this year. Tech won some respect for me advocating for Eddie Sutton to make the HOF. A player wore a shirt about it and Beard had some kind words in the post game presser apparently.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Look I know my undergrad from osu isn’t a bachelors from Harvard, Northwestern or Texas (which I was accepted to but didn’t attend for other reasons)...I learned how to adult there, earned a valuable piece of paper, and made lifelong friends.  For those reasons I’ll always be a Cowboy.  

I made up for my underwhelming bachelors with a masters degree from Northwestern.  That ‘joke’ school set the foundation for me not just educationally and adulting, enough to later advance my career to a more elite one.  Both you and I are fans of decided second-level universities but I bet we love them for similar reasons. 

So bitch about the refs all you want, be disappointed in the athletic performance of your school all you want...lord knows I’ve been there many times, hell whine about some tradition you feel was stolen decades before you were born...but calling the school that launched me into adulthood a ‘joke’ because of officiating in a game of basketball tells me a whole lot more about you, and ‘your’ college, than it does about those of us who don’t resort to petty insults on an anonymous message board.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Like 7

34 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Look I know my undergrad from osu isn’t a bachelors from Harvard, Northwestern or Texas (which I was accepted to but didn’t attend for other reasons)...I learned how to adult there, earned a valuable piece of paper, and made lifelong friends.  For those reasons I’ll always be a Cowboy.  

I made up for my underwhelming bachelors with a masters degree from Northwestern.  That ‘joke’ school set the foundation for me not just educationally and adulting, enough to later advance my career to a more elite one.  Both you and I are fans of decided second-level universities but I bet we love them for similar reasons. 

So bitch about the refs all you want, be disappointed in the athletic performance of your school all you want...lord knows I’ve been there many times, hell whine about some tradition you feel was stolen decades before you were born...but calling the school that launched me into adulthood a ‘joke’ because of officiating in a game of basketball tells me a whole lot more about you, and ‘your’ college, than it does about those of us who don’t resort to petty insults on an anonymous message board.  

Way to keep it classy, Home....wait, wut? :) Look man, you're doing shit talking all wrong and I don't know if that's a result of the adulting you learned at Northwestern or what but it has NO place here. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a mountaineer to rape. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I know. We just got fucked and opportunities to talk shit are few and far between this year. Tech won some respect for me advocating for Eddie Sutton to make the HOF. A player wore a shirt about it and Beard had some kind words in the post game presser apparently.

Nothing but respect for the Suttons here. Sean has been a big part of our recent success.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Figured Baylor would have a letdown and give up a game by this point. 

Figured wrong. 

Same here. Last time we were ranked #1 was in 2017. That very Monday we went to Morgantown and turned the ball over 30 fucking times and got absolutely trounced. I'm beginning to believe in these guys. I'm actually starting to think that THEY believe. This is the most complete games I've seen them play this year, they're playing like a #1 should play.

On 2/15/2020 at 7:37 PM, Jhawk said:

I thought wvu would beat them on the boards and have a chance. Drew might earn some respect from me this year.  Especially if he gets out of the elite 8. 

It sure looks like this is Baylor's and Scott Drew's breaking out year. I think they have a great chance to win out. I know they have played down some to their competition of late, but when they have played anyone good or great in the last few months, they have won, fairly easily. As a matter of fact, I expect them to beat KU fairly easily next Saturday in Waco. The Baylor guards give Kansas guards fits because of their size, shooting, and ball-handling. And their frontcourt can play with KU's frontcourt, from a size standpoint. Its very possible that Baylor is the ONLY team in the country that is better than Kansas.

And the person who can figure out how Baylor has avoided the wrath of God for killing people and raping girls while getting them covered up, as well as skinning cats by baseball players, for their athletic teams, I'm all ears. 

50 minutes ago, JWinTX said:

It sure looks like this is Baylor's and Scott Drew's breaking out year. I think they have a great chance to win out. I know they have played down some to their competition of late, but when they have played anyone good or great in the last few months, they have won, fairly easily. As a matter of fact, I expect them to beat KU fairly easily next Saturday in Waco. The Baylor guards give Kansas guards fits because of their size, shooting, and ball-handling. And their frontcourt can play with KU's frontcourt, from a size standpoint. Its very possible that Baylor is the ONLY team in the country that is better than Kansas.

And the person who can figure out how Baylor has avoided the wrath of God for killing people and raping girls while getting them covered up, as well as skinning cats by baseball players, for their athletic teams, I'm all ears. 

It's going to be an ugly game.  I think baylors guards are more consistent on offense, but not necessarily better.  I think we are better on defense.  They get to the offensive glass like at KU and they will definitely beat us.  If our outside shots aren't falling they definitely win.  We have 2-4 things we have to do well against them to win and they only have to do 1-2 things well to beat us is how I see it.

Regarding Drew, if he would have stopped just trying to ride the talent train years ago he could have a final four.  With some of the size and athleticism that has come through Waco there has never been any reason for them to not get to a final 4 by now.  Frankly, my biggest digs on him are that he is lazy as a coach and that he lets better teams get in his head (specifically KU).  He stopped being lazy and actually teaches defense now.  We'll see if he lets the win streak and success get into his head with how he coaches his team to end the season.  He gets wins the conference, is competitive in the big12 tourney (champ game appearance), and is at least competitive in an E8 loss (or gets further) this year then I'll final stop saying drew is a bad coach.  Then it will be about maintaining his stature at the top of the league and a march stalwart for me to call him a good/above average coach.

This is a big year for him as a coach.  He should win some hardware.  I'm also hoping that Baylor gets their Karma and becomes the 2nd #1 team to lose to a 16 seed.

36 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Lol, you trade their rosters and talent over the last 10 years and Drew would have never lost to Bill Self in that span.

Gotta be the dumbest take I've ever heard.  In 2007-2008 he finished with 21 wins.  We'll consider that the year he turned the corner with the rebuild.  So take KU out of it.... What happened in the 5 out of 11 years where he finished at .500 or below?  Did he just not have any talent in those years?  Why didn't he beat the other coaches?  There are plenty of teams in the big12 that he hasn't beaten that have all had FAR less talent than he has had.  Why didn't he come in second, 3rd, or 4th every year?  Also, if talent is your argument why he can't win then are you saying that recruiting isn't a part of coaching?  Bill Self took Tulsa as far as Drew has gotten.  Recruiting is part of being a college coach.

I'm trying to give him some respect.  You don't need to poke your head out and try to earn it for him.  Makes me re-read the stats and have less respect for him.

53 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Lol, you trade their rosters and talent over the last 10 years and Drew would have never lost to Bill Self in that span.

Drew owns Waco, and its ever-so-slight peccadillos, rapes, shootouts, and whatnot.  That's absolutely part of the equation in getting the players Self has vs those in the Baylor program.

It's still part of the deal, and Drew has overcome much of it; but c'mon man...

39 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Drew owns Waco, and its ever-so-slight peccadillos, rapes, shootouts, and whatnot.  That's absolutely part of the equation in getting the players Self has vs those in the Baylor program.

It's still part of the deal, and Drew has overcome much of it; but c'mon man...

You honestly don't think that any other coach given the talent that KU has purchased couldn't do as well or better than Bill Self? Lol.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

You honestly don't think that any other coach given the talent that KU has purchased couldn't do as well or better than Bill Self? Lol.

I know of one in Austin that has proven he can't. Good coaches are good coaches, no matter what players roll through. And Self is that.

32 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

That's not what i said at all. The point is that getting those players is also part of the job. I hardly approached anything remotely elevating Self to "Best Corch Ever" status.

Edited by Iceman

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Such a great crowd in Phog.   Never gets old seeing it. 

Playing a garbage team and that amped up, Big Monday or otherwise it's impressive. 

Anyone who hasn’t been really should go. It’s an amazing facility with great history you can see, feel, and read in the museum. It’s so close to us in the Midwest, a really special place. Would recommend sitting as close to the students as possible without being in them. 

• Like 1

I'm still not sold on the Bears being a dangerous tournament team. They're a damn good team no doubt and have handled their business up to this point  but they, imho, lack the single player that can take a game over. It seems that from one night to the next there's always a new face leading the charge. Maybe this years team will surprise me but even the 2010 team which was largely made up of no-names had Tweety Carter at the helm. Just seems to me you need that one guy. Not a lot of teams in the conference this year have that one guy.

This is exactly why I think we have a shot this year. We have four guys who take turns being that one guy. I see that as a huge positive, as you're not sunk if "that guy" has a bad game (like with CJ and Tweety).
  • Like 1