2019-20 Big 12 thread

Machinator

11 minutes ago, harpercollins said:

I don't know kenpom rankings enough to know what defense move is.

Defensive efficiency. Sorry. Had to edit. Better than Virginia and tech last year. Better than any team since 2002. They’re good. We have an elite defense though. Will be a great game hopefully. They should have the edge like I mention up thread. 

Edited by Jhawk

12 minutes ago, harpercollins said:

That's impressive. I wonder how the league being "down" factors in.

I know we have a slight edge in points per game allowed but kenpom is a genius so what do I know.

The league being down has to help. It has to. If Baylor takes care of business then Saturday is going to be a fun game. 

Edited by Jhawk

Baylor just has the look of being that team....they are more talented than everyone else and Scott Drew has just gotten better with age.

I think Baylor wins this weekend by 8-10 points. If they make their 3s, it could be 12-15. They are that good. I think we will see just how big the difference is between #1 and #3. KU will have to play much better than in Lawrence agains the Bears just to keep this around that 8-10 point level. Otherwise, it’ll be a carbon copy of the first game.

I know the commentators have beaten it to death this year but Gillespie is such a huge surprise to everyone. When our big man Clark went down last year with the knee I thought that until he fully returned we'd be sunk and then Scott pulled a rabbit's foot out of his ass and here we are. If Clark was fully healthy now that would be a helluva rotation at bigs. He's getting better though and there's still some weeks left for him to get his game back. March could be special this year for the Bears. 2010 was an incredible ride and this one could end up topping that, making the FF would be nice after being so close. It's been 10 years in the making. Buncha spares, lol.

19 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I know the commentators have beaten it to death this year but Gillespie is such a huge surprise to everyone. When our big man Clark went down last year with the knee I thought that until he fully returned we'd be sunk and then Scott pulled a rabbit's foot out of his ass and here we are. If Clark was fully healthy now that would be a helluva rotation at bigs. He's getting better though and there's still some weeks left for him to get his game back. March could be special this year for the Bears. 2010 was an incredible ride and this one could end up topping that, making the FF would be nice after being so close. It's been 10 years in the making. Buncha spares, lol.

I honestly can't see Baylor falling short of the Final Four as long as they don't go like 1-20 from behind the arc in some game in the tournament--which is the same for everyone in the country. The Baylor guards are just too big and too tough to let them get beat. When they have played anyone with a pulse in the last three months, they have pretty much beaten the quality teams to a pulp. That list includes Villanova, Arizona, Butler, Tech, KU, OU, Florida and WVU. They have games at OU and WVU left, as well as home games with KU and Tech. I honestly don't see them losing any of them, maybe one at the most. 

They are basically raping the field...

13 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I think it helped Tech's motivation in the tourney last year losing in the conference tourney.

Tech gives no fucks about the Big XII Tourney, whether it is hoops or baseball.  The last few years, I'm like, "This is the year they're gonna take it seriously."

Nope.  Time to get healthy.

57 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Tech gives no fucks about the Big XII Tourney, whether it is hoops or baseball.  The last few years, I'm like, "This is the year they're gonna take it seriously."

Nope.  Time to get healthy.

I think this is true for most teams unless they are playing to get in or trying hard to improve seeding. Mostly just those teams trying to get in.

3 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Drew deserves every coach of the year award. He is actually coaching up guys people thought didn’t deserve to play and the chemistry seems great. This is the year to get past the E8 but the truth is it only takes 1 team shooting 60% from 3 to knock you out. KU has been chosen to win it by no less than 5 experts every year it seems since self got to KU. Then faroukmanesh strolls in and you don’t get within 17 all game. Winning it all isn’t a measure of success but damn it sure feels good. Having your team in the conversation each year is how you measure success. 

2 hours ago, harpercollins said:

I hope we lose one. Don't want to go into tourney on an absurd win streak tempting fate.

Everyone knows winning streaks don’t last forever. Coaches don’t want their guys complacent. I hate the big12 tourney because it always feels like we are playing for our spot on the 1 or 2 line. A last chance tourney to get into the tourney should effect the top teams but it does. I hate having a big win streak going into the dance but damn I love winning. 

Cobbling together teams from transfers is getting more and more normal for schools not named KU, UNC, Duke, et. al.. Drew's shown some talent for keeping the guys he recruits out of high school happy while they redshirt too which gives a nice blend of transfers and home grown matured-in-the-program players. It hasn't always worked but for the most part he's been able to put out teams that have a good bit of age on 'em.

A roadie tonight in Norman and then the biggest game in Feral Sinner history on Saturday. Can. Not. Wait.

I can tell you that Chris beard is having problems now that he is getting big talent. Ku fans hated the one and dones because we never got a championship. It’s a different game coaching kids that have everything given to them than kids who have to work for it. Sometimes you find a talented kid that is raw and had to work for it. Those are winning components that stick around to build chemistry. Which wins big. 

I can’t wait for Saturday. I’m hopeful Ku can win it and get At least a share of the conference crown to start a new streak. 

4 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I can tell you that Chris beard is having problems now that he is getting big talent. Ku fans hated the one and dones because we never got a championship. It’s a different game coaching kids that have everything given to them than kids who have to work for it. Sometimes you find a talented kid that is raw and had to work for it. Those are winning components that stick around to build chemistry. Which wins big. 

I can’t wait for Saturday. I’m hopeful Ku can win it and get At least a share of the conference crown to start a new streak. 

The only real problems Beard has is that we are very young and are missing some key pieces we expected to have.

Like, yeah, Ramsey has some freshman moments, but I promise you Beard is pretty damn happy to have him this year. The major problems he has this year are the grad transfers aren't as good as expected.

Edited by Brian Fantana

5 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

The only real problems Beard has is that we are very young and are missing some key pieces we expected to have.

Like, yeah, Ramsey has some freshman moments, but I promise you Beard is pretty damn happy to have him this year. The major problems he has this year are the grad transfers aren't as good as expected.

I was referring to when he said that the effort from the higher level talent isn’t as high as he expects. It’s a different coaching challenge. One that guys with major chips on their shoulders don’t present all the time. 

On 2/17/2020 at 9:10 PM, Jhawk said:

You do realize we are the best defense efficiency team in the kenpom era right?

To be technical, you can’t compare the raw number across seasons, because it’s a strength of schedule adjusted number. The proper metric would be the difference between national efficiency average and a team’s number...and by that method Tech last year is better. That might be splitting hairs a little, but people all over the Phog are making the same mistake.

As of this morning, the Big 12 is 1,2,3 in KenPom’s DE.

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

either either way, our defense is the elite of the elite. Baylor has a great defense, ours is borderline generationally great. 

I would wait for the season to play out.  Texas Tech's DE rating improved during their tournament run by more than KU's current edge on Baylor.

There is a lot of basketball left before we start bestowing historical greatness on anybody.

looking at the schedule, I don’t want to say it was a must win but it was damn close to a must win for tech last night. Especially if they want to be above the 7 line. They’ve got 20 wins on the schedule without the big12 tourney so they’ll likely get to 21 or 22 but a bad loss to state, then maybe the momentum shifts and they end up with 18 wins going into the big12. That would mean there are a couple of bad losses and they really need to make a run to solidify anything better than an 11. Good win but this conference is doing everything it can to cut it close on tourney teams. 

oklahoma looks like they’re going to end up on the high side of the bubble going into the conference tourney with 19 wins. They lose one and they’ll be really needing some wins. 

Edited by Jhawk

Ou has some tough games left though. They can’t afford a rivalry loss and they definitely can’t afford a loss to TCU or Texas. TCU is 12-4 at home. That’s no easy win. Tech and WVU are likely losses. Then rivalry @OSU and vs. UT. They could go 1-4 down the stretch and miss the tourney. I think they have the hardest road the rest of the way. 

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

OU has been a very tough out lately.

Tech is playing like it’s never heard of the motion offense.  Now it’s pass-pass- watch Ramsey off the dribble.  Gotta get it corrected.  Dude in charge might be capable...

Ah, so Chris Beard IS auditioning for the Texas job.

Luckily, we are BIG FANS of this, as evidence by Rick Barnes and Shaka Smart. 

• Haha 1

On 2/18/2020 at 9:03 PM, El Diablo said:

Two of Baylor's starting 5 are 23 years old. That shit matters in the college game.

Indeed. 

Last season, three of Tech's starters and four of their top eight rotation players were 23 years old.  Literally half of their important minutes were played by fifth year players

21 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

Indeed. 

Last season, three of Tech's starters and four of their top eight rotation players were 23 years old.  Literally half of their important minutes were played by fifth year players

I know it's WBB but last year Mulkey used a grad transfer SG at PG and won the NC with that. Craziest part about that was she had dismissed the starting PG from the team and the whole thing was out of necessity. Older more experienced players make a huge difference.

• Like 1