2019-20 Big 12 thread

Machinator

31 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

KU looking like a national title contender again.  

Nah.  Big XII is down.

we all suck.Hell according to Bracketology, the Big ten is sending 10 teams.  Now THAT’s real basketball.  Not our piddly little Big Xii horseshit.

Edited by Iceman

25 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Terrance Shannon is a man possessed.  Hustle, hustle his ass off on defense and created breakaway dunk.Then Crash, crash the offensive boards.

love it.  Shannon says( respectfully) fuck yo bench, coach.

Love the response.

Holyfield is also having a nice game.

• Like 1

Cyclone defenders are fouling like hell when Tech has the ball, and the refs turn a blind eye.

They finally call one and ISU fans lose their minds.

Fuck you.  Go play West Virginia ball with someone else...

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Tech is the best nine-loss team in the country. Fight me.

I dunno, maybe?  They sure are an inconsistent bunch - beat #1 Louisville on the road, lose at KU by 3, lose to OSU by 3 after beating them earlier by 35, beat TCU by 46 (?!) after losing to them by 10 earlier, beat Iowa State by 30 on the road, lost to Kentucky by 2 in OT.  If they were a little more consistent, I think they would definitely be a top 15-20ish type team but some of these losses (TCU, OSU, DePaul) are pretty bad.  At least the losses to Creighton and Iowa seem to be somewhat respectable.

Seems to play along with the theory that the B12 is just KU & Baylor then a big drop off where a couple of likely 20-win teams (Tech and WVU) sit followed by a bunch of noise.

I will say winning @ISU by 30 and blowing out OSU by 35 and TCU by 46 was eye-catching.  Those are generally November/December warm up margins of victory.  Was surprised to see this in conference play.

16 hours ago, Jhawk said:

OU flat on the bubble with 3 tough games left. Big 12 is getting 4 in unless something special happens for OU. 

They go 2-2 in their remaining 4 they'll be a coin toss.  Probably need a win in the conference tourney.  They've got a really bizarre resume.  1-9 vs quadrant 1 teams and 8-1 vs quadrant 2 I believe (OSU was quad 1). 

Spoiled football fans calling for Lon's head.  I get it but since the Thunder came to town, OU hoops has a lot of trouble drawing support.  For most of my life OU has been top 25 in hoops but I think that's gonna be tough going forward.  You might even say, OU sucks. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

They go 2-2 in their remaining 4 they'll be a coin toss.  Probably need a win in the conference tourney.  They've got a really bizarre resume.  1-9 vs quadrant 1 teams and 8-1 vs quadrant 2 I believe (OSU was quad 1). 

Spoiled football fans calling for Lon's head.  I get it but since the Thunder came to town, OU hoops has a lot of trouble drawing support.  For most of my life OU has been top 25 in hoops but I think that's gonna be tough going forward.  You might even say, OU sucks. 

This next game against Tech seems like the perfect storm (Tech off a huge win against the clones, OU hungry for a statement win at home) for a let down. 

On 2/22/2020 at 6:19 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

I honestly have not paid much attention to the pokes.  How is your record so shitty?  Lon has OU on the bubble and OUsucks doesn't have half the talent you guys have.  Is the coaching THAT bad?  

How much time you got? First, we looked good in the non-con but then Likekele got mono and missed several weeks and we looked like a Jr. High team without him. When he came back we still played like ass. The other part is that our 3 seniors are severely limited. McGriff is inconsistent as hell, can dominate at times but never can take over a game, and sometimes disappears completely. Waters is a streaky shooter who rarely drives or creates his own shot and plays below average defense.  Dziagwa is a streaky shooter who can't drive or create his own shot and plays awful defense. Our bench is mostly freshmen, some of whom have talent but need time to develop.

I still think Boyton is a good coach. His recruiting alone will buy him a few more years. With the class coming in next year, Likekele and Anei being Juniors, and this year's freshman having more experience, we should definitely make the tournament next year and get a decent seed. If we miss again next year with the talent coming in, it'll be time to really start questioning Boynton's coaching abilities.

• Like 1

Looking at the updated Massey Ratings and OU's resume, I think they're going to need a minor miracle to get into the tourney field.  They currently sit at 16-11, 6-8 in conference.  If they don't get to .500 in conference they don't stand a chance.  How are they going to do that?  Their remaining schedule looks like this:

Tech - 48% chance of winning.  in 1000 simulations the most likely score is 70-69 in favor of tech.

@WVU - 21% chance of winning.

UT - 69% chance of winning.  A win here helps their win total but doesn't really help the resume all that much.  UT is likely to lose their next two games against Q1 teams.  UT is sitting at #75 in the NET ratings, which if they drop any further then UT would become a Q3 win for OU should they win.

@TCU - 48% chance of winning.  In 1000 simulations the likely score is 67-66 in favor of TCU.

OU is currently #55 in NET ratings.  They are 3-9 in Q1 wins and 5-2 in Q2 wins  Their most likely finish is going to be 3-11 in Q1 and probably 5-3 in Q2 wins.  They'll probably be somewhere in the 60s in NET which has to be on the very low end of the bubble (if they lose the next 2 they might be in the 70s going into UT).  They would probably be the 5 or 6 seed in the big12 tourney which means they'll have a chance at a Q1 win to finish the season.  The rough part of their schedule is right now though, they're looking at 5 straight losses if they don't beat Tech or WVU this week.

I'm going to go ahead and say that there isn't a chance they are in unless Tech or WVU absolutely shits they bed and they take care of business against UT and TCU.  Then they'll need to take care of tech or WVU in their first game of the tourney.  That's a tall order.

Edited by Jhawk

Title, the big one, is Kansas to lose.   They're just really good - great presence inside, 3 guys on the perimeter who can break you down or shoot from the arc, and outstanding defense. 

They were due for a letdown tonight post Waco.   But playing a pretty decent team they've just disemboweled Okie State. 

37 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Da fuck?   For real? 

2020:

@ KU - L
@ OSU - W
@ KSU - L
@ Tech - L
@ OU - L
@ BU - L
@ TCU - L
@ Texas - L

2019:

@ Texas - L
@ KSU - L
@ TCU - L
@ ISU - L
@ Tech - L
@ KU - L
@ Baylor - L
@ OU - L
@ OSU - L

Holy shit they lost every Big 12 road game in 2019.  

2018:

@ OSU - W
@ KSU - W
@ Tech - L
@ TCU - L
@ ISU - L
@ OU - W
@ KU - L
@ Baylor - W
@ Texas - L

Press Virginia doesn't travel as well as it shows up in Morgantown.   5-26 the past 3 seasons (one more road game left this year at ISU)

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 7:18 PM, El Diablo said:

They were projected as a 3 seed a week or two ago, give it time and it'll sort itself out. There's just a whole lot of meaty okra teams this year.

cousin bubba used to steam his okre in his kubota mid-summers BITD. wrap it in plastic wrap and then foil -  toss on the block whilst he attended semi-meticulously to his back 5 acres.

kubotokra we used to call it.  seasoned properly with a little crab stock in the pouch it usu. turnt out perty well.

Edited by LFS
digressicus interruptus