2019-20 Big 12 thread

Machinator

Yeah, and the league website hasn't fleshed it all out yet.  Obviously the 4/5 matchip doesn't mean much, but who gets 3 and 6 sure as shit does.  Anybody have a verifiable link?  

15 minutes ago, 76Jayhawk said:

You guys will be able to fire Prohm after next year right?

I mean we're able to fire him now (and should), but our AD is absurdly patient with people he hires.  He'll always give a coach a year (if not two) more than they deserve.  He wasn't going to fire Greg McDermott after 4 straight losing seasons.  McDermott left on his own.  Rhoads is the only high profile hire he's made that he had to fire, and again, he got a season more than he should have.

24 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I mean we're able to fire him now (and should), but our AD is absurdly patient with people he hires.  He'll always give a coach a year (if not two) more than they deserve.  He wasn't going to fire Greg McDermott after 4 straight losing seasons.  McDermott left on his own.  Rhoads is the only high profile hire he's made that he had to fire, and again, he got a season more than he should have.

For some reason I thought his buyout was too high to fire him now. Yeah if I were ISU I would make the change now then. What a waste of Haliburton too.

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Well, he certainly will tonight.

Thank fuck I have a fire meeting and won't be tempted to tune in to this shit show.

I'm feeling pretty good that we should win. That means you have a real good shot at beating us. So it goes.

My heart goes out to all those Kansas City bars that aren't going to make shit because we suck dog balls and will be bounced in 12 hours.

No I need y’all to win. I have a long-standing pact with my Minneapolis cyclone friends that if Baylor and ISU meet in the big 12 championship game we will drop everything and meet in KCMO.

7 minutes ago, harpercollins said:

No I need y’all to win. I have a long-standing pact with my Minneapolis cyclone friends that if Baylor and ISU meet in the big 12 championship game we will drop everything and meet in KCMO.

Did you guys go in '14?

1 hour ago, harpercollins said:

No the pact started after that game. We went in 2018 (a year in which we both lost the first game) and it strengthened our resolve. A really fun atmosphere if you’re winning.

The 2015 Big 12 tournament might be the most fun I've ever had at a sporting event.

We bought dirt cheap All Session passes leading up to it, and had 3 nights booked in KC.  We were committed to hanging out around town and day drinking/watching ball even if we lost, but of course you don't want it to come to that.

ISU won that year with a come-from-behind buzzer beaters against UT and OU to set up the title vs Kansas.  Every day more Cyclone fans rolled into town.  We'd close down Kelly's in Westport every night, and start around noon the next day.  The energy and atmosphere is just insane.  I don't mean to put them on the same level, but if anything in Big 12 basketball is remotely comparable to Red River, it's ISU vs KU for the conference tournament title.  The P&L is just full of red, blue, and yellow.  You can't move.  Everyone is piss hammered drunk and at full throttle.  Bars running out of booze.  Massive crowd chants of "LET'S GO STATE" or Rock Chalk.  We had another come from behind (but not down to the wire) win against KU.  After the game, it was like a locust swarm of drunk Iowans enveloped Kansas City.

Part of the energy, and excitement of those come-from-behind wins is living on that edge of "do we get to do this again tomorrow?".  Before Monte Morris hit the fadeaway against UT, it looked like several days of sitting around with our thumbs up our asses.  Just getting another day like the one you were having as much of a reward as anything.

OSU can thank John Higgins for that win. Kept on calling phantom fouls against ISU because ISU kept hitting shots. Then nothing as ISU players were getting run over on the defensive boards and when there was contact at the other end.  I swear that dude rigs so many games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

OSU can thank John Higgins for that win. Kept on calling phantom fouls against ISU because ISU kept hitting shots. Then nothing as ISU players were getting run over on the defensive boards and when there was contact at the other end.  I swear that dude rigs so many games.

You need his contact #?  I know some people. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

Jonathan Quayle Higgins III is not amused by this take.

ymCZuOq.gif

I'm still not convinced we play the rest of the tourney.  Jay Williams and Charles Barkley are calling for the tournament to be postponed or cancelled.  Once the media instills the fear the NCAA will capitulate.

Edited by Jhawk

21 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I really see no point in cancelling once you eliminate crowds.

For the NBA, it's because a player tested positive and may have infected others. As long as no college player is diagnosed, I think the games will go on without crowds. Of course Fred Hoiberg may have it and may have exposed it to some players, which might change things. But he may also have just been disgusted releazing that he was a god in Ames 5 years ago and now is coaching the fucking cornhuskers in basketball.

13 minutes ago, 'stache said:

For the NBA, it's because a player tested positive and may have infected others. As long as no college player is diagnosed, I think the games will go on without crowds. Of course Fred Hoiberg may have it and may have exposed it to some players, which might change things. But he may also have just been disgusted releazing that he was a god in Ames 5 years ago and now is coaching the fucking cornhuskers in basketball.

Fred has the flu. Still an asshole for even being there 

Gobert though. That’s why it’s getting cancelled.