2019-20 Big 12 thread

Machinator

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 6:31 PM, Iceman said:

Tech signing 32 players for 2020-21 season.

NCAA can't deny all of them...

Seems like a damn solid pickup

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29045134/jamarius-burton-joins-texas-tech-2-seasons-wichita-state 

Jamarius Burton has signed with Texas Tech after starting 52 games the past two seasons at Wichita State. He will have two seasons of eligibility remaining with the Red Raiders.

Burton averaged 10.3 points and 3.4 assists per game as a sophomore at Wichita State, where the 6-foot-4 guard played 67 games overall the past two seasons.

Big man Tchewa entered the transfer portal yesterday too.  I cannot recall a player whose development I wanted to turn the corner so badly, at least in recent years.  he just didn't get there.  The effort was there, just not the execution.

Guns up for this young man down the road.

Edited by Iceman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 3:58 PM, Iceman said:

Tech's Davide Moretti reportedly turning pro with Olimpia Milano in his native Italy.  I appreciate the effort he put into his time at Tech and the tenacity of his play.  Best of luck down the road.  Guns up!

https://www.kcbd.com/2020/05/23/davide-moretti-reportedly-turning-pro/

thank God. guys like him kill Texas, and it seems like every team in the league except for us usually has one. 

I'm guessing the Red Raiders won't be picked 7th in the Big XII, should we basketball fans actually get a 2020-21 season...

If McClung is eligible right away, he could fight for a starting spot in Texas Tech's backcourt now that Moretti is gone. Chris Beard brings back Kyler Edwards and Terrence Shannon from last season, while also welcoming a top-15 recruiting class that includes five-star guard Nimari Burnett and ESPN 100 wing Micah Peavy. The Red Raiders also have UNLV transfer Joel Ntambwe eligible after he sat out last season, and VCU transfer Marcus Santos-Silva is on schedule to graduate this summer and be eligible immediately next season.

• Like 1

I seriously don’t understand. What Evans did was to benefit himself not the program. He was brought here by Underwood. The player was suspended for three games internally for what was found at the time. If KU isn’t shut down permanently I may just stop watching sports altogether.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I seriously don’t understand. What Evans did was to benefit himself not the program. He was brought here by Underwood. The player was suspended for three games internally for what was found at the time. If KU isn’t shut down permanently I may just stop watching sports altogether.

It's a tired cliche, but it's also pretty damn accurate.  When KU violates NCAA rules, Southern Miss is going to get hammered.  Unfortunately, we are Southern Miss.  They better appeal this and win or I'm done watching CBB.  This is total bullshit.  We cooperate and get what is going to amount to the death penalty (that's about the effect it will have on the program)and KU denies everything and is uncooperative and you know they won't even get a slap on the wrists.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Go Pokes said:

It's a tired cliche, but it's also pretty damn accurate.  When KU violates NCAA rules, Southern Miss is going to get hammered.  Unfortunately, we are Southern Miss.  They better appeal this and win or I'm done watching CBB.  This is total bullshit.  We cooperate and get what is going to amount to the death penalty (that's about the effect it will have on the program)and KU denies everything and is uncooperative and you know they won't even get a slap on the wrists.  

Yeah to be clear, I'm not laughing at OSU, but at yet another example of lopsided justice from the NCAA.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Yeah to be clear, I'm not laughing at OSU, but at yet another example of lopsided justice from the NCAA.

Thanks for that.  I was just about to tell you to do something terrible to your own asshole.  I will not do that now.  Your asshole, your choice.   

I'm so pissed right now my hands are shaking.  I feel like a UT football fan after the 2016 OSU game.  

Edited by Go Pokes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fuck the NCAA. If KU gets a light punishment this should send a loud and clear message to athletic departments across the country: do not do not DO NOT cooperate with the NCAA. If their investigators call, hang up. If they show up in person, sprinkle some crack on them and call police.

21 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Thanks for that.  I was just about to tell you to do something terrible to your own asshole.  I will not do that now.  Your asshole, your choice.   

I'm so pissed right now my hands are shaking.  I feel like a UT football fan after the 2016 OSU game.  

I had front row tickets to that game and wanted to rush the field to personally fire Charlie Strong so I can only imagine how pissed you are right now

3 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

For a little more perspective, Baylor received essentially the same punishment for their coach covering up the murder of one player by another.

Don't forget he tried to promote a lie that the dead kid was some sort of drug selling gangster. Oh 

When OSU signed Gerald Green but he went pro, the one-and-done rule was enacted shortly thereafter. When OSU was screwed by the voters in 2011 with Alabama making the BCS title game, a four-team playoff was enacted the following year. If there is any justice in any of this, the NCAA will have its balls chopped off for this type of overzealous shit and reforms will happen, and like the past examples, if and when it happens, it will be too late for OSU to benefit. 

I read a little more on this and I still can't wrap my head around why the program needed a quasi-death penalty. The old jokes are seriously being proven true yet again (punish the lesser because of corruption among the blue-bloods to show they "care" about the rules). I just don't get it, and I really hope there is outcry outside of OSU for this ridiculous over-policing. We should have seriously just paid players outright for five star recruits. There is literally nothing worse that could have happened.

I seriously may be done with sports. I'm finding that the cancellations haven't affected me very hard. I really only follow OSU football, basketball, and baseball, and the Dallas Cowboys. If Mike McCarthy sucks as bad as Jason Garrett, I'll seriously find something better to do with my weekends.  

Edited by 'stache

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

When OSU signed Gerald Green but he went pro, the one-and-done rule was enacted shortly thereafter. When OSU was screwed by the voters in 2011 with Alabama making the BCS title game, a four-team playoff was enacted the following year. If there is any justice in any of this, the NCAA will have its balls chopped off for this type of overzealous shit and reforms will happen, and like the past examples, if and when it happens, it will be too late for OSU to benefit. 

I read a little more on this and I still can't wrap my head around why the program needed a quasi-death penalty. The old jokes are seriously being proven true yet again (punish the lesser because of corruption among the blue-bloods to show they "care" about the rules). I just don't get it, and I really hope there is outcry outside of OSU for this ridiculous over-policing. We should have seriously just paid players outright for five star recruits. There is literally nothing worse that could have happened.

I seriously may be done with sports. I'm finding that the cancellations haven't affected me very hard. I really only follow OSU football, basketball, and baseball, and the Dallas Cowboys. If Mike McCarthy sucks as bad as Jason Garrett, I'll seriously find something better to do with my weekends.  

It hurts now but you can always recover. OSU basketball has enough history and backing to do that. Hell, look at Alabama football in the early 2000s, they couldn't play in the postseason and were coached by Dennis fuckin' Franchione. If anyone can recover from that, then there's plenty of hope for OSU. Believe me, it doesn't make sense to anyone else either from an outside perspective. The lesson is basically just don't fucking cooperate with the NCAA, just like lawyers tell you don't talk to cops. If you tell them to fuck themselves, a la Kansas, apparently you can just get away with anything.

I'm sure the talking heads will speak out in OSU's favor, I sure as hell would if I were them.

Don't forget he tried to promote a lie that the dead kid was some sort of drug selling gangster. Oh 

Don’t leave out the part where he violated NCAA rules. He was fucking PAYING the kid and the drug dealing would explain where the money came from. This is total bullshit.

I've been wondering if I was missing something, if maybe Boynton played a role that had not yet been disclosed, or if there were recruiting issues that had just not been made public. Nope. NCAA agreed that Evans acted alone, for his own personal gain, and that the program did not benefit in recruiting or otherwise. I truly hope other programs will come out and hammer the NCAA for shit like this from the NCAA. The rules are designed to avoid competetive advantages through cheating. THAT DIDN'T FUCKING HAPPEN HERE!!! I seriously cannot wrap my brain around this nonsense. Please blue-bloods, speak out! This is fucking absurd!!!!

image.png.9adfc7b49e45604eb9960df9673d446c.png

I mean, if punishment is to deter future problems, how is this going to help programs find out about coaches acting alone through conspiracies with others? I mean, when the school participates in cheating and attempts to hide it, that is what punishments are for. Evans' conspiracy was intentionally designed to avoid being caught by the program compliance office!!!!! It's not like them turning a blind eye the entire thing was designed to not be found by the school officials!! And it wasn't found out by school officials until the FBI was tipped off to federal crimes by individuals not schools. I'm just completely dumbfounded.

Edited by 'stache

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

agreed.   i love college sports but absolutely hate the NCAA.

I mean, this is in the NCAA's wheelhouse - coach caught red-handed taking bribes for the purpose of directing the money of amateur players who would turn pro. It's silly but explicitly not allowed. This isn't like the assistant was selling fake Rolexes on the side for his own benefit.

Also, the NCAA has rightly been dismissing the "acted on his own" excuse for several years now. You can't just take the head coach's word for it, especially when he just hired an assistant whose brother happens to be the No. 1 recruit in the US. Again, it's silly and it happens everywhere but this is what the infractions guys gobble up when they have solid proof.

That said, it would also be typical NCAA to reduce the penalty on appeal. That way they won't look as bad when KU also doesn't get banned.

So, what happens to LSU when the Head Coach is on tape buying players?  I hate that I'm not shocked he still has a job.  SEC: It Just Means More

“‘Cause I went to him with a strong ass offer about a month ago,” Wade said on the wiretap. “F***ing strong. Now, the problem was, I know why he didn’t take it now, it was tilted toward the family a little bit. But I mean, it was a f***ing hell of an offer. Like, a hell of an offer. Especially for a kid that’s going to be a two- or three-year kid. I’ve made deals for as good a players as him that were a lot simpler than this.”

3 hours ago, Bartles said:

I mean, this is in the NCAA's wheelhouse - coach caught red-handed taking bribes for the purpose of directing the money of amateur players who would turn pro. It's silly but explicitly not allowed. This isn't like the assistant was selling fake Rolexes on the side for his own benefit.

Also, the NCAA has rightly been dismissing the "acted on his own" excuse for several years now. You can't just take the head coach's word for it, especially when he just hired an assistant whose brother happens to be the No. 1 recruit in the US. Again, it's silly and it happens everywhere but this is what the infractions guys gobble up when they have solid proof.

That said, it would also be typical NCAA to reduce the penalty on appeal. That way they won't look as bad when KU also doesn't get banned.

Dude, what? Of course cheating happens, but even the FBI concluded that he was operating solely on his own behalf and the NCAA concurred in their own investigation, so I'm not sure where you're getting basically any of this. Basically everyone involved agreed that OSU was a victim in this case.