Surly Kids NOT going to UT/General College Discussion Rising 2019/2020 Seniors

Bateshorn

NSIAP.  I'm starting a thread for people whose kids are going to college, but not UT.  I'm not gonna judge you if you gotta send your kid to A&M, but I can't guarantee other people. Financial Aid, where you are looking, standardized tests, visits, essays, acceptances/rejections, etc. Brag/Bitch about your kids.

My oldest son has pretty much narrowed it down to urban schools with warm climates.  Right now, Occidental/Richmond/Tulane/Trinity U/American. Now I just gotta get him to finish his Essay before Labor day.

• Bateshorn changed the title to Surly Kids NOT going to UT/General College Discussion Rising 2019/2020 Seniors

Not related but had a conversation today with a guy who has 3 kids entering college Fall 20 (yup, 3 at the same time).  Oh...and the reason for my discussion is that his job right now is somewhat tenuous.....dam....

Daughter is top 12% in class, 1380 SAT.  Wants to go to UT, but that's less than likely - still gonna try.  She loves Trinity too.  She qualifies for auto-acceptance to A&M - close to home, good school, not too expensive etc.  But fuck that.  I can't ask her to spend 4 years in that shithole. Really gonna be pissed at UT if she doesn't get in.

26 minutes ago, PW119 said:

Daughter is top 12% in class, 1380 SAT.  Wants to go to UT, but that's less than likely - still gonna try.  She loves Trinity too.  She qualifies for auto-acceptance to A&M - close to home, good school, not too expensive etc.  But fuck that.  I can't ask her to spend 4 years in that shithole. Really gonna be pissed at UT if she doesn't get in.

Pissed at UT?

• Like 1

Aggy isn’t good.

She is better off going to UTSA and transferring into Texas.
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, PW119 said:

She's probably not going to get into UT with those numbers, but she could go to UTSA and get into UT Austin as a sophomore through the CAP program: https://www.utsystem.edu/board-of-regents/rules/40305-coordinated-admission-program.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

She's probably not going to get into UT with those numbers, but she could go to UTSA and get into UT Austin as a sophomore through the CAP program: https://www.utsystem.edu/board-of-regents/rules/40305-coordinated-admission-program.  

Does CAP guarantee the student will be able to transfer to UT-Austin within their major?  Surely not.  It would seem an easy end-around the entrance barriers to high-standard colleges like Cockrell and McCombs.

EDIT:  I realize these type of questions blur the line regarding the discussion of schools "not UT", but UTSA etc. meet that standard.  Not trying to derail here.

Edited by jimmyjazz

50 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

as a child of the 90s, it is mind boggling to see 1380 and think 'not UT qualified.'

pretty crazy, indeed.

attended/graduated UT from '87 to '91 and a real dummy, apparently.

Edited by yoladu

my niece is a senior this year. she's wicked smart, has a good resume and has worked hard, but not top 10% so UT is out.

(as an aside...Anderson HS doesnt rank outside of top 10%! not sure how we're going to work around that, but i thought it was odd)

anyway,  we've visited aTm (she thought it was weird and she hated it ❤ lol), TxState (she liked it but if i see pics of her on surly i'm gonna hunt some mfers down haha), and UTSA which she loved. 

we're visiting UNT in September. thing is, art is her thing. competitions, NAHS, all her spare time, volunteers at Laguna Gloria, etc.

none of the other schools have 'moved' her as far as sparking something from a career/academic/passion standpoint. she liked the size and closeness of TxState, the housing and amenities at UTSA... i did some research on UNT and they seem to have a very good and diverse fine arts program, including internships in various fields and help with job placement and stuff. i'm kind of hoping something finally sparks her there...it's farther from home but i think if that's the direction she really wants to go she needs to be at a school that takes that seriously. 

may also look at TCU, i know they have one of the best arts programs in the state...but she only has public school tuition paid for so she'll need to get a lot of aid money.  plus, she's pretty cynical about religion so i don't know that she'd fit.

anyway... she'll do great wherever she goes, i just want her to be inspired.

2 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

as a child of the 90s, it is mind boggling to see 1380 and think 'not UT qualified.'

As a child of the 90's who didn't even apply to college and backdoored through ACC, this shit is more than mind boggling. 

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

my niece is a senior this year. she's wicked smart, has a good resume and has worked hard, but not top 10% so UT is out.

(as an aside...Anderson HS doesnt rank outside of top 10%! not sure how we're going to work around that, but i thought it was odd)

anyway,  we've visited aTm (she thought it was weird and she hated it ❤ lol), TxState (she liked it but if i see pics of her on surly i'm gonna hunt some mfers down haha), and UTSA which she loved. 

we're visiting UNT in September. thing is, art is her thing. competitions, NAHS, all her spare time, volunteers at Laguna Gloria, etc.

none of the other schools have 'moved' her as far as sparking something from a career/academic/passion standpoint. she liked the size and closeness of TxState, the housing and amenities at UTSA... i did some research on UNT and they seem to have a very good and diverse fine arts program, including internships in various fields and help with job placement and stuff. i'm kind of hoping something finally sparks her there...it's farther from home but i think if that's the direction she really wants to go she needs to be at a school that takes that seriously. 

may also look at TCU, i know they have one of the best arts programs in the state...but she only has public school tuition paid for so she'll need to get a lot of aid money.  plus, she's pretty cynical about religion so i don't know that she'd fit.

anyway... she'll do great wherever she goes, i just want her to be inspired.

TCU is not religious.  It catches quite a few kids from West Texas and smaller towns here and there (historically anyway) who might have some kind of small-town religion for a while, but it is not formally religious.  Think SMU, not Baylor.  The "Christian" comes from Disciples of (not Church of) Christ.  A laid back, progressive Prod denomination like Methodists.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PW119 said:

Daughter is top 12% in class, 1380 SAT.  Wants to go to UT, but that's less than likely - still gonna try.  She loves Trinity too.  She qualifies for auto-acceptance to A&M

Last year for that. In 2021 A&M will be top 10% auto admit, everyone else holistic.

As a UTSA grad, I would advise against sending your kids there.  It has worked out (very) well for me, but thru luck. I mean that as in I busted my ass as hard if not harder than all of my peers out of school (mostly Ag and UT ME’s), but all the true gains in my career have been from the relationships I made in the first 5 years. *note - I’m not an engineer either.  

Me and the SWT guys always felt we had to work harder because we didn’t have better degrees from better schools to fall back on.  That was the good that came with it  

I made plenty of money quickly (about 10% less than my better educated peers) but that was because I was brought into O&G. And out of the 25 or so guys I worked next to, only 3 were not ME’s.  Relationships have been The sole contributor at each at every stop, at least getting my foot in.  

Anyhow, at my last stop, I noticed most hiring managers weren’t even considering UTSA kids, and it wasn’t some aggy only bullshit.  Just not respected. Considering you didn’t even have to take the SAT when I attended, I’m not sure I can blame them.  I mean I’m not an extremely intelligent guy, and I didn’t exactly apply myself while there, and I blew thru it with two majors and a good GPA.  

Anyhow, TxState, Tech, UNT, whatever. I guess aggy if you can commute or something, even tho all the old ags I know think it’s nothing like the “old days” so that has to be better. 

I really hope one of my daughters makes it to UT. I have been a fan since birth but was just lost in space from 17 to 21 yo. Anyhow, my .02. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Nephew has grades (almost all As) and test scores (1460/35) to likely get into Texas, but has mild Asperger's so he's likely going to UTD. He's also interested in Vanderbilt.

I'm completely unqualified to have this opinion, but man, Vanderbilt does not seem like the kind of school a kid who is a bit on the spectrum should attend.  I might be wrong, but every sense I've gotten of Vandy is "we're Harvard just in Nashville not Boston".  Maybe they have targeted programs to work with those kids, and if so, great, but it seems like a risk.

2 hours ago, SuckitKevin said:

Daughter is starting Trinity next month. Great school,  she’s pumped.

Can any other people speak to Trinity?  The boy and I are visiting in October.  I know they have super generous merit aid if you have good grades/test scores

40 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

As a UTSA grad, I would advise against sending your kids there.  It has worked out (very) well for me, but thru luck. I mean that as in I busted my ass as hard if not harder than all of my peers out of school (mostly Ag and UT ME’s), but all the true gains in my career have been from the relationships I made in the first 5 years. *note - I’m not an engineer either.  

Me and the SWT guys always felt we had to work harder because we didn’t have better degrees from better schools to fall back on.  That was the good that came with it  

I made plenty of money quickly (about 10% less than my better educated peers) but that was because I was brought into O&G. And out of the 25 or so guys I worked next to, only 3 were not ME’s.  Relationships have been The sole contributor at each at every stop, at least getting my foot in.  

Anyhow, at my last stop, I noticed most hiring managers weren’t even considering UTSA kids, and it wasn’t some aggy only bullshit.  Just not respected. Considering you didn’t even have to take the SAT when I attended, I’m not sure I can blame them.  I mean I’m not an extremely intelligent guy, and I didn’t exactly apply myself while there, and I blew thru it with two majors and a good GPA.  

Anyhow, TxState, Tech, UNT, whatever. I guess aggy if you can commute or something, even tho all the old ags I know think it’s nothing like the “old days” so that has to be better. 

I really hope one of my daughters makes it to UT. I have been a fan since birth but was just lost in space from 17 to 21 yo. Anyhow, my .02. 

I'm curious to know when you graduated. I'm not an engineer, but I've always been hired pretty easily, even though my transcripts showed USNA, then UT, then a degree from UTSA.  But I'm charming, so that might be the reason. 

these threads are always damn interesting. 

best of luck to all the surely kids.

my only tip, get an engineering from an accredited engineering program. im seeing kids from lamar and mcneese flooded with job offers. im seeing ut rgv engineering grads with top 10 chem companies. every company out there is short on engineers 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Can any other people speak to Trinity?  The boy and I are visiting in October.  I know they have super generous merit aid if you have good grades/test scores

Trinity’s merit based scholarships are good but overall COA is 59k, so even with a 25k scholarship it will cost you 34k a year. I’m impressed by the quality of faculty and faculty to student ratio. My daughter isn’t super outgoing either so I believe a smaller setting will be better for her.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chico_SA said:

I'm curious to know when you graduated. I'm not an engineer, but I've always been hired pretty easily, even though my transcripts showed USNA, then UT, then a degree from UTSA.  But I'm charming, so that might be the reason. 

Dec ‘07. Should have been class of ‘05, but I spent a couple of years learning why a college degree is needed before I left for school  

I wasn’t trying to imply you have to be an engineer to get a job, but for what I do, it’s all but a requirement (for whatever reason).  Shit I can’t remember if it was BP or Shell, but one online application literally ended after it asked “do you have an engineering degree?”  I wasn’t trying to chase an engineering position. Like the fucking page just shut down  This is not a school problem, but my degree path problem.

Fwiw, most of the ones I referenced earlier, that were being tossed were ~100k salary.  Like I said, I didn’t have issues either - but only when I had a foot in.  I don’t know what you do, where you live etc  Your mileage has obviously varied.  

Please also note I’m not trying to rip UTSA, just what I’ve seen as recent as last year.  Funny thing is the two UTSA guys we did have both were jam up. But other mid-tier school graduates were getting the benefit of the doubt, for whatever reason.  

I personally enjoyed my time there, but I’m a fiend for Mexican women and enchiladas (no racista), and lived out in Bandera.  It’s a really nice campus, and has exploded since I left   

I would send my kids there if they were trying to do the UT transfer deal for sure, but I think there’s better options for a 4 year, personally. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chico_SA said:

I'm curious to know when you graduated.

I think that all anecdotes really need a time frame attached to them.  The reality is that the academic "market" and the job market are very different from 1985 to 1995 to 2005 to 2015.  

• Like 1

Coworkers daughter is headed off to Houston Baptist. From Waco. She wanted to go to college and HBU gave them the best financial deal so off she's going in about a month. There's not a religious bone in that family. I'm super pumped for the lulz that are soon to come.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

JFC. 

That's typical.  Room & board is ~ $11K at most schools.  That puts tuition and fees at $48K.  Pretty common for a private school, along with plenty of public out-of-states.

Edited by jimmyjazz

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's typical.  Room & board is ~ $11K at most schools.  That puts tuition and fees at $48K.  Pretty common for a private school, along with plenty of public out-of-states.

Trinity is cheap compared to most the other schools Boy#1 is looking at.  75K all in is the going rate for most private liberal arts these days.  

But the price isn’t really the price.  Most schools throw serious need aid to make themselves competitive with public schools.  

Edited by Bateshorn

10 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Trinity is cheap compared to most the other schools Boy#1 is looking at.  75K all in is the going rate for most private liberal arts these days.  

Maybe I'm not looking at the same #s you are, and possibly not the same schools, but a quick search for "tuition" shows:

Rice:  $43.9K

Vanderbilt:  $45.6K

Washington University:  $49.8K

Northwestern:  $50.9K

Amherst:  $56.4K

Carlton:  $54.8K

Washington & Lee:  $52.5K

Seems to me that would put "all in" at $55K - $67K, perhaps excluding books.  Are we talking apples to apples?  Not that any of this is inexpensive, but I just want to level the conversation.  Maybe I'm missing something.

52 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Dec ‘07. Should have been class of ‘05, but I spent a couple of years learning why a college degree is needed before I left for school  

I wasn’t trying to imply you have to be an engineer to get a job, but for what I do, it’s all but a requirement (for whatever reason).  Shit I can’t remember if it was BP or Shell, but one online application literally ended after it asked “do you have an engineering degree?”  I wasn’t trying to chase an engineering position. Like the fucking page just shut down  This is not a school problem, but my degree path problem.

Fwiw, most of the ones I referenced earlier, that were being tossed were ~100k salary.  Like I said, I didn’t have issues either - but only when I had a foot in.  I don’t know what you do, where you live etc  Your mileage has obviously varied.  

Please also note I’m not trying to rip UTSA, just what I’ve seen as recent as last year.  Funny thing is the two UTSA guys we did have both were jam up. But other mid-tier school graduates were getting the benefit of the doubt, for whatever reason.  

I personally enjoyed my time there, but I’m a fiend for Mexican women and enchiladas (no racista), and lived out in Bandera.  It’s a really nice campus, and has exploded since I left   

I would send my kids there if they were trying to do the UT transfer deal for sure, but I think there’s better options for a 4 year, personally. 

I was just really curious. I was way before you, 93.  So I kind of assumed the reputation has improved. I’m sure it has in many areas. 

1 hour ago, SuckitKevin said:

Trinity’s merit based scholarships are good but overall COA is 59k, so even with a 25k scholarship it will cost you 34k a year. I’m impressed by the quality of faculty and faculty to student ratio. My daughter isn’t super outgoing either so I believe a smaller setting will be better for her.

This is all correct.  Daughter graduated in May.  She really enjoyed her time at Trinity.  I'm enjoying the effective pay raise now that she's out.

Edited by davidg

10 minutes ago, Chico_SA said:

I was just really curious. I was way before you, 93.  So I kind of assumed the reputation has improved. I’m sure it has in many areas. 

I hope it does too, for many reasons. I get slightly disappointed they never make any of the lists, tho. I think they missed top 20 in Texas recently. Anyhow they provided me what I needed, a chance to live comfortably if the pieces fell right.  And senoritas and enchiladas. 

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Maybe I'm not looking at the same #s you are, and possibly not the same schools, but a quick search for "tuition" shows:

Seems to me that would put "all in" at $55K - $67K, perhaps excluding books.  Are we talking apples to apples?  Not that any of this is inexpensive, but I just want to level the conversation.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Trinity is definitely not cheap, it’s one of the more expensive private universities in Texas. Southwestern was another consideration, they were right at 57k COA.

13 minutes ago, davidg said:

This is all correct.  Daughter graduated in May.  She really enjoyed her time at Trinity.  I'm enjoying the effective pay raise now that she's out.

That’s great to hear. It’s always nice to get positive feedback from other parents. 

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Add room and board, plus extra expenses. Most of those schools require you to live on campus for at least some, if not all 4 years.  Not sure about Vandy and NW housing policy 

Edited by Bateshorn

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

We talking all 4 years with all in right?

I wish. 

But the cost is not really the cost.  Most schools will give you an idea of what your expected family contribution (EFC) will be by household income.  If you make less than 100K, Depending on the endowment, and annual giving, the actual COA is 25-ish  

Feels like it was forever ago that I was in college even though it really hasn’t been long ago... But my younger sister is applying to schools for 2020 and has a good list... Though I think she’s underestimating herself... 3.71 Unweighted GPA from a New England prep school and a 34 ACT... Most of her peers are Ivy bound but she seems insistent on applying early to WUSTL... Hey, great school but it’s still unclear to me what appeals to her there besides the fact that not many people from her school go there. Also going to apply to Rice, UT Comp Sci, and a bunch of safeties if she doesn’t get in to Wash U. 

Best of luck to everyone!!

45 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Add room and board, 

Well yeah, and I mentioned that.  The # I see for room & board is consistently in the $10K - $12K range, depending on school/dorm.  Unless "expenses" include a healthy amount of  cocaine, I'm struggling to see how you get to $75K.  Is room & board significantly higher at some of the schools you referenced?