Surly Kids NOT going to UT/General College Discussion Rising 2019/2020 Seniors

Bateshorn

2 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

The Oklahoma schools and Arkansas schools have discontinued this. One of my buddies sons is a frat daddy type looking at schools and he told me this first hand.

Well, fortunately for me, my daughter has zero interest in Okie or Arkie schools.

As an aside, what I was seeing on student data regarding top 10% was that increasing numbers of students were actually enrolling after being admitted. Whereas before they might attend elsewhere, many have chosen to attend UT or A&M. That was pointed out above, but what accentuates this is the number of high schools and charter high schools has increased with the population and that makes the pool larger. IIRC, the number at A&M was over 50% for their student body (top 10% enrolled) and some of their parents of prospective students (outside the parameter) were not happy that their child was not admitted. It's always a numbers game and those numbers have been trending up and up. This means that the Aggie parent who made sure their child went to the BEST hs and has GREAT test scores might not get into their two hardest-to-enter colleges: Mays Business and Look Engineering. That can be hard to take when they know that 1) a student from a smaller, not as highly ranked hs got in and 2) if their child had selected Liberal Arts they probably would have been admitted.

A&M being a land grant school, though, means I (the taxpayer) am a strong proponent of the top 10% rule for them. Back when I looked at their data: they have applicants from every county in Texas and students actually enrolled from most of them. But the bulk of their population, as expected, is from the major urban areas nearby: Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas (BCS deosn't count as major). At least the 10% rule gives every hs student an opportunity. (Although, if it is a 1A school you might have to knock off someone to make it). Personally, I have no problem with UT and A&M having slightly different caps and missions. It's really about finding the best fit where a student can succeed and move forward.

Here’s I know the higher ed system in this part of the country is fucked.  Fairly intelligent Texans have for some bizarre fucking reason been conditioned to believe that “University of (insert state name)” is just as good as the one over.  It baffles me to this day.  The costal elites are right to look down upon us because so many fucking dipshits think Arkansas is as good as Oklahoma as Mississippi as Kansas as Tennessee as Texas.  That’s not how land grant universities work.  the world needs glorified community colleges, too. 

Daughter visited TCU today and "really liked it"

I threw up in my mouth a little. Not because it's a bad school, it's just going to cost so much more than UT. I was in the navy and never used my hazelwood so she'd have 150 hours free at UT. 

• Haha 1

Speaking as a coastal elite, we don’t confuse Texas with Arkansas or Oklahoma.  You certainly will not get the much desired “ooh,  that’s a good school!” upon mentioning you’re a Sooner.

As a MD resident I look very jealously at the VA System, with its broad range of Elite, Land Grant, Commuter, and Public Liberal Arts programs. It’s pretty much college park or bust here.  The fall off after UMD-CP, unless you want to do STEM, is really severe.  I think Boy #1 will get in college park,  but he doesn’t want to go to a school that big and it’s not a slam dunk.  If not, his deep safety instate is.......Towson.   ☹️

Edited by Bateshorn

54 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

As a MD resident I look very jealously at the VA System, with its broad range of Elite, Land Grant, Commuter, and Public Liberal Arts programs. It’s pretty much college park or bust here.  The fall off after UMD-CP, unless you want to do STEM, is really severe. 

An old friend from HS did her PhD in Aerospace Engineering at UMD-CP, and ended up on the faculty of UMD-BC.

That lasted a couple of decades.  She then took a similar position at Baylor.  I'm not sure what that says about UMD-BC, but I don't think it's good.

51 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Speaking as a coastal elite, we don’t confuse Texas with Arkansas or Oklahoma.  You certainly will not get the much desired “ooh,  that’s a good school!” upon mentioning you’re a Sooner.

As a MD resident I look very jealously at the VA System, with its broad range of Elite, Land Grant, Commuter, and Public Liberal Arts programs. It’s pretty much college park or bust here.  The fall off after UMD-CP, unless you want to do STEM, is really severe.  I think Boy #1 will get in college park,  but he doesn’t want to go to a school that big and it’s not a slam dunk.  If not, his deep safety instate is.......Towson.   ☹️

Growing up in College Park/UM alum, I know:

1) UM used to be the dumping ground for shitty, obnoxious Jersey/NY types who really couldn't get in anywhere near them; 
2) It was for years a pretty good but not great place (including my 4 years there);
3) It hit rock bottom with Slaughter in the 80's (Len Bias death era), god what a shittily-run place;
4) With Dan Mote at the helm in the 00's, the campaign to upgrade their status went incredibly well - that guy should have a 75 foot bronze statue there;
5) Now, like UT, Maryland is pretty much a top 50 campus nationwide and much tougher to get into (acceptance rate 2017 about 43%; UT about 38% same year);
6) At least he's not saying he wants to go to St. Mary's (lol!, puff puff... anyway Towson ain't too bad, is he considering UMBC?  It's really been moving up in the rankings and has become a decent place... very much comparable to UTD here)

and:
7) Growing up at least sportswise, you heard about Texas and knew who they were, and a little bit SMU... not much about aggy - Texas was on a par with ND and USC and Michigan and all that as far as rep/notoreity on the east coast.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, blacklab said:

I threw up in my mouth a little. Not because it's a bad school, it's just going to cost so much more than UT. I was in the navy and never used my hazelwood so she'd have 150 hours free at UT. 

You can adopt my kid if those 150 hours are burning a hole in your pocket. 

On 7/25/2019 at 8:49 PM, Bateshorn said:

Can any other people speak to Trinity?  The boy and I are visiting in October.  I know they have super generous merit aid if you have good grades/test scores

My daughter turned down a Tower Scholarship there.  I could be thinking about retirement if she hadn't.  After three years, I'm OK with that now, though.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, blacklab said:

Full disclosure that i don’t have kids, but it would seem like a parent can influence if not flat out tell their kids where they’re going if the kid wants financial help from the parents.  Now if the kid wants to take on full financial control of their life, they are welcome to go wherever. 

In both cases, there’s a great lesson in terms of financial restraint or self reliance. 

any input on TCU financial aid packages? (not loans) 

maybe we will visit if their deals are good. sister is a single mom who earns <$45K and niece has a pretty stellar academic resume. we have $28K cash from TTF. i'd looked at Trinity and their aid packages were great, if TCU is similar and grandpa and i could kick in a bit to cover extras... maybe it's doable?

yeah, I kinda have a number in my head of what I can afford to give her a year. If she goes someplace like TCU she's going to be responsible for some of it. She goes to UT I'm going to give her a nice allowance each month for food/entertainment. She goes to TCU her allowance will be tiny and she'll have to make up for it with her own money from a job in the summer.

A friend of mine's daughter is at Southwestern now (no pics) and she loves it. She was accepted at a lot of schools in and out of state, but with the scholarship package and given that she wanted a small school environment it has worked out splendidly for her. I cannot recall what percentage the school paid so I'll have to ask the next time we meet up.

My twin girls will be seniors next month. We live in the OKC metro and both have decided they want to go to Oklahoma State, which is fine with me. My wealthy ex father-in-law (their grandfather) told them he'd pay for their first semester and if they got good grades and didn't take any (in his opinion) bullshit classes, he'd continue to pay for their education. So hopefully they don't fuck it up. One wants to be an RN, the other wants to teach math, I think they'll be ok.

Interestingly, neither kid wants to dive head first into college life. Both have said they want to go to OSU-OKC (OSU's version of community college) to get started and then they'll transfer to Stillwater later. They are a bit scared to leave home. I'm scared for them to leave, but I haven't told them that. I just want them to be successful adults, and I'll support whatever can make that happen.

5 hours ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

Disappointed to see so much Trinity talk, but almost no Southwestern talk.

It's everything Trinity is in a smaller, (slightly) cheaper package.

Trinity's academic reputation is considerably better than Southwestern's.

But the difference between Trinity and Southwestern is smaller than the difference between Southwestern and the third-best liberal arts college in the state.

One of my best friends is on the board at Southwestern.  

Edited by Beau Vine

My daughter will be a junior next year and will be starting visits. She’s currently looking at Columbia, NYU, Rice, Stanford, Duke, Cal, University of Chicago, Cambridge, London School of Economics, St Andrews, McGill. Public college in Texas is not under consideration.

Fuck me: when She was born we prepaid 5 years of Texas Tomorrow fund. Not sure what happens to it if she doesn’t attend UT, and she’s not. Not sure if we would be better off closing that out or transferring it to her little sister.

19 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

My daughter will be a junior next year and will be starting visits. She’s currently looking at Columbia, NYU, Rice, Stanford, Duke, Cal, University of Chicago, Cambridge, London School of Economics, St Andrews, McGill. Public college in Texas is not under consideration.

Fuck me: when She was born we prepaid 5 years of Texas Tomorrow fund. Not sure what happens to it if she doesn’t attend UT, and she’s not. Not sure if we would be better off closing that out or transferring it to her little sister.

Fucking A, man.  Congrats in one way.  Sorry in another.  Does Texas Tomorrow not have an option to roll the money over into a traditional 529?  I’m cooking up Chile Rellanos, otherwise I’d dig around on the site. 

35 minutes ago, Sandman said:

My twin girls will be seniors next month. We live in the OKC metro and both have decided they want to go to Oklahoma State, which is fine with me. My wealthy ex father-in-law (their grandfather) told them he'd pay for their first semester and if they got good grades and didn't take any (in his opinion) bullshit classes, he'd continue to pay for their education. So hopefully they don't fuck it up. One wants to be an RN, the other wants to teach math, I think they'll be ok.

Interestingly, neither kid wants to dive head first into college life. Both have said they want to go to OSU-OKC (OSU's version of community college) to get started and then they'll transfer to Stillwater later. They are a bit scared to leave home. I'm scared for them to leave, but I haven't told them that. I just want them to be successful adults, and I'll support whatever can make that happen.

Some kids just aren’t looking for the college experience.  Boy #1 was adamant about no party schools.  He’s been somewhat resistant to Tulane and Richmond for that reason. 

7 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Some kids just aren’t looking for the college experience.  Boy #1 was adamant about no party schools.  He’s been somewhat resistant to Tulane and Richmond for that reason. 

So do you know who his father is?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, blacklab said:

Do a future budget with her for when she graduates. Not sure what she wants to be but make it extremely realistic and go through all of the expenses and responsibilities. Then at the end when she's excited for the amount she has left for entertainment and stupid shit say woah, wait a second... You went to an expensive private school at TCU so now we have to take away $300 a month in expensive student loan paybacks that you'll have for the next 10 years. Oops, that car you wanted? Yeah now it's gotta be a used one that you drive until the wheels fall off or else you can't afford gas and insurance. 

Wish someone did that for me. I ended up starting my own business a few years after school anyway so it ended up kind of being a bit of a waste of time.

50 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Sounds like a kid who's going to look back with a lot of regret in 15 to 20 years once the realization of how shitty the real world in America really is hits him and he knows a ton of the time he spent not enjoying his college experience was a waste. 

Seems like a fair amount of college selection is about identity.  You can get a great education at a bad school or a horrible education at a good one.  You can party at a non-party school or study non-stop at a party school.   but whether you identify with the school seems to be important to many.  For me, I wanted to go to UT partially because of family that had attended and partially because felt comfortable there. To be honest , i didn’t pay much attention to academics other than I knew UT was highly ranked.   Information was also more difficult to come by in the 80s.

I feel fortunate that I was able to attend UT when tuition was effectively zero. Especially in relation to today.  I get that parents what to allow their child to attend wherever they want and can get into, but that can be dangerous to your and their financial future.

• Like 1

I think people put too much weight on the reputation of a school for an undergraduate degree.  There may be a few fields where graduate degrees aren't necessary, but in general I think kids should be thinking ahead to a masters and perhaps even a PhD.  The reputation of those institutions is more important.  Sure, the student has to be admitted, but it's foolish to think that the first 4 years of college lock in one's future as if it were some sort of caste system.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Full disclosure that i don’t have kids, but it would seem like a parent can influence if not flat out tell their kids where they’re going if the kid wants financial help from the parents.  Now if the kid wants to take on full financial control of their life, they are welcome to go wherever. 

In both cases, there’s a great lesson in terms of financial restraint or self reliance. 

My best friend went ti UGA basically because his parents said F You you are doing. Apparently it’s free for GA residents if you check boxes or something. He had his heart set on Vandy (got in) and Northwestern (he didn’t get in) but his parents pulled rank. His point was that as a non target undergrad school for a good job he had to work harder but got into a Top 10 grad school and a top 3 MC firm. Worked out for him.

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

... about what I expected.

3 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Sounds like a kid who's going to look back with a lot of regret in 15 to 20 years once the realization of how shitty the real world in America really is hits him and he knows a ton of the time he spent not enjoying his college experience was a waste. 

Boy #1 is much more mature than I was at that age.  Wants a warm urban LAC with a strong International Relations program.  He  wants to enjoy college,  but raging keggers isn’t the way he wants to do it. Different strokes....

Edited by Bateshorn

6 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Transfer to Reagan so she’ll be top 6%! How do you feel about grandchildren?

• Like 1

There's no secrets in higher education anymore,  how and what they're teaching in Harvard can be copied by any school.  A hard working smart student can learn just as much going to Podunk U vs Ivy League, the difference of course is the connections you make and the prestige the name still has. And as we all know that trumps being smart and working hard 9 times out of 10.

With that said it is absolutely criminal that a state the size of Texas with as many resources as it has doesn't have viable 2nd and 3rd public options for world class education. It's UT or pay a fuckton for private school or out of state. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think people put too much weight on the reputation of a school for an undergraduate degree.  There may be a few fields where graduate degrees aren't necessary, but in general I think kids should be thinking ahead to a masters and perhaps even a PhD.  The reputation of those institutions is more important.  Sure, the student has to be admitted, but it's foolish to think that the first 4 years of college lock in one's future as if it were some sort of caste system.

Unless you're getting a STEM degree and going into a lucrative field or going into education it just doesn't make sense anymore to go to a traditional 4 year college. Paying outrageous prices and being saddled with 10s of thousands of loan debt just to get some liberal arts degree that doesn't do dick is insanity. Even for business school I learned a ton more in the first 2 years out of business school trying, then failing, then trying better, then failing better then finally succeeding at starting a profitable business than I ever learned at McCombs. 

Then if you do go into a STEM field you'll have to have a graduate degree or post graduate education anyway. Should just get the least expensive quality undergrad available to you, work your ass off to ace the fuck out of it, then get into a quality post graduate location to finish up as that's what employers will be looking at anyway. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Unless you're getting a STEM degree and going into a lucrative field or going into education it just doesn't make sense anymore to go to a traditional 4 year college. Paying outrageous prices and being saddled with 10s of thousands of loan debt just to get some liberal arts degree that doesn't do dick is insanity. Even for business school I learned a ton more in the first 2 years out of business school trying, then failing, then trying better, then failing better then finally succeeding at starting a profitable business than I ever learned at McCombs. 

Then if you do go into a STEM field you'll have to have a graduate degree or post graduate education anyway. Should just get the least expensive quality undergrad available to you, work your ass off to ace the fuck out of it, then get into a quality post graduate location to finish up as that's what employers will be looking at anyway. 

So,  I would prefer not to start a STEM vs. Liberal Arts argument on this thread,  unless we are going to have a substantive discussion about the merits for a Surly kid. 

You are patently wrong about reputation:  where you go to school absolutely opens doors in jobs and graduate programs.  There are things you have access to with a Harvard or UT degree that are not available to a St. Edwards or UTSA grad. 

I work in a field, politics, where a 4 year degree is mandatory. And most groups would prefer to see at least an MPA or JD as well. The connections I made in college got me a foot in the door. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

I very much agree with this up to a point... the 4-year college life for e'r'rbody, which sort of rose in the early 1960's (before that it used to be sort of an elite path) might just be coming to an end as we know it about now.  20 years ago you couldn't fart well without a college degree, now more and more kids are finding out that they really don't need them in many avenues, and it's growing.  My 20-year-old (who is an Engineering junior) believes that absolutely his generation and moreso ones that follow will see an explosion in non-college system of hiring.  It's already happening with things like  coding schools, and many universities are now doing fast-track things where they simply code and get jobs.  This applies to other fields, too.  Yeah, currently hirers are still looking for that B.A or B.S. or whatever, but a lot, lot less so.  It's changing and for the better.

However the point I will no so much disagree with but more emphasize - and I know this sounds like something out of Goodbye Mr. Chips - is that theoretically, college was and is never intended to simply be a place to go to prep for a job.  In its purest form, it's a place to go learn about the world for 4 years. Yeah, yeah, practically that's not exactly true but the university structure is designed as such.

This is why theoretically you can go to Little Subsection of Northern Southern State U. and "learn" as much as you can learn at Big Prestigious U.  Facilities and resources are very different but it's not all that different.  

But make no mistake - the financial crisis confronting colleges now probably means that they're going to morph further away from this, or even what we know... I see them as eventually being much more like trade schools with majority online enrollment, constructed to get the job requirements and bail.  It'll be interesting for sure to see what college is like in 20 years even.

But yeah, I see it happening now... the way people look for and hire young job candidates is rapidly changing, and college degrees are more and more becoming less and less of a requirement.  And in many ways, that's a good thing.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Sandman said:

If it were me, I would push them out of the nest.  Important bonds are formed freshman year.  They will have a larger social circle and enjoy the later three years more if there as freshman.  

Also, Stillwater is a small town w friendly people.  It’s as easy of an introduction into the real world as you are going to find. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

theoretically, college was and is never intended to simply be a place to go to prep for a job.  In its purest form, it's a place to go learn about the world for 4 years. Yeah, yeah, practically that's not exactly true but the university structure is designed as such.

Exactly. Most people are trying to look at universities as trade schools who has a sole purpose of getting their students a job. If you want that send them to TSTC. We need an educational revolution in this country on a cultural level. That includes university education, but really it's about popular culture. We have the world's library and elite knowledge at our fingertips 24/7 and nobody cares or seems to be using our new tools to improve themselves unless forced to by a structured school system. We are a culture that has wasted our precious gifts. I know cultural shifts take time, but I'm not seeing much improvement. 

Posted this elsewhere, so sorry for the repost, but I didn’t see this thread at the time. 

I have twins who are about to be seniors at Anderson, and they got their class rank earlier this month that determines top 10%. Son is an auto admit to UT and hopefully will get into Cockrell (just outside top 1%). Daughter is top 6.48% so missed auto admit by 3 spots. She is more than likely going to s smaller liberal arts school, but that auto admit would have been nice to have in the back pocket, as UT is probably the only school that they will both apply to. 

Right now his favorite/big reach is MIT  I would think UT is next followed by a big pile of Rice, Michigan, Carnegie Mellon, Purdue, Georgia Tech and others.  Applying to Stanford as well and maybe a few more.

Daughter’s favorites at the morning from ones we have seen are Reed and Trinity.  I’m flying with her to Minneapolis on Wednesday to see Carleton, St Olaf, Macalester and UM.  Going to look at some other small liberal arts schools as well.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chitwood said:

Campus is gorgeous. I was pretty impressed with the academic program they have.  But yes, pretty sure it is on to grad school after that.

She said it’s VERY liberal politically.  As somebody who came from a Texas progressive background and went to a liberal coastal school,  just know that there is a substantial difference between what Austinites think is liberal and the Pacific NW.  Not bad,  just....more.

Edited by Bateshorn

Good thread. Subscribed.

Kiddo is in 7th grade so we’re not quite there yet. Time to start learning though.

My college acceptance program in 1985 consisted solely of bubbling in UT on the SAT section on where to send my scores (and 4 other schools I couldn’t even tell you what they were now) and a couple of weeks later getting a letter saying I was in. That was the extent of it. Obviously was different then.

She says she wants to go somewhere with trees and seasons, so Arizona is out I guess. First choices are UT and Florida because that’s where me and mom went. She also likes the idea of CU in Boulder which wouldn’t break my heart either. I’m gonna try to get her to look at Oregon too.

My theory, which I think has been stated well above, is that unless you are going to an ultra name brand don’t waste money. Go somewhere as affordable as you can and make good grades. They all use the same text books and it’s what you with it after that counts. The guy I know here in Phoenix who probably makes the most money of anyone I know went to NAU in Flagstaff.

29 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

She said it’s VERY liberal politically.  As somebody who came from a Texas progressive background and went to a liberal coastal school,  just know that there is a substantial difference between what Austinites think is liberal and the Pacific NW.  Not bad,  just....more.

Yeah, definitely aware of that. On our visit it wasn’t as in your face as I expected,  UT it is definitely there. 

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

Reed was a communist, IIRC.  That is liberal.  

Kiddo is in 7th grade so we’re not quite there yet.

My 7th grader decided 3 years ago she’s going to college in Canada. Instead of that idea fading, it’s only intensified. Looking into it a quite a bit, I’m really behind that idea. Cost wise, it’s very affordable. I technically already have 3 years of tuition, room and board already saved. In 6 years, I’d easily be able to cover undergrad and grad in Canada with her college fund. I like that you don’t spend 30+ hours on bullshit classes. If you’re an engineering major, you take 15 hours of engineering as a first semester freshman. Your English requirement would be done in a class like Technical Writing for Engineering that applies directly to your major.