Catherine the Great: Helen Mirren, HBO, Limited Series (Fall)

atomheartbevo

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I've always had a little thing for Helen.... and I'd like to give it to her.

Catherine was a human way way beyond her time.  Fascinating, smart as shit, loved sex, and maybe the first true progressive European'ish leader.

Also crazy as a shithouse rat, but aren't they all.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Also crazy as a shithouse rat, but aren't they all.

I read a pretty long biography on her life.  I don't remember reading that.  My takeaway was she was lightyears ahead of her other contemporary monarchs, and at one time had the greatest art collection in the west, and a collection of the best minds in her social circle, and pen pal circuit.

Or were you talking about Helen ??

• Haha 1

I talked to Helen on the phone once. She was very nice. Always one of my favorites.

ps I think Catherine hired John Paul Jones to fight the Turkish Navy for her. It was a long time ago that I read his biography. More insomniac facts to follow.

Edited by RomaVicta

Loved it but period pieces are my jam so I love even not great ones.

There’s a really great Catherine the Great series on Amazon Prime. It’s an original Russian production so subtitles and all but it starts from when she arrives in Russia from Germany as a teenager to be married off. Whereas this one covers the latter part of her life.

The Russian series is a good companion series to watch if you don’t know much about CtG.

13 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Loved it but period pieces are my jam so I love even not great ones.

There’s a really great Catherine the Great series on Amazon Prime. It’s an original Russian production so subtitles and all but it starts from when she arrives in Russia from Germany as a teenager to be married off. Whereas this one covers the latter part of her life.

The Russian series is a good companion series to watch if you don’t know much about CtG.

There are like 2 separate ones on there...do you know which one it is?

2 hours ago, Drew said:

There are like 2 separate ones on there...do you know which one it is?

Ekaterina.  It's 2 seasons so far.  2014 season 1,  2017 season 2 and now a season 3 that started earlier this week but probably won't be on Amazon for a while.  Season 2 didn't even hit Prime until earlier this year. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 7:21 AM, The University said:

season premiere was last night. so far, it looks good. anyone else catch it?

it should be fun reconstructing a massie-influenced interpretation of her life and those around her.

Just caught it. Pretty good 

3 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Yeah eh, I’m trying to like it because I love period piece shit, especially about royals like this. But it’s just boring. A couple of entertaining moments here and there I guess. Not sure I’ll keep watching. 

The Russian one on amazon is way better