possibly get $125 from the dumb asses at equifax

ButtFumble

i wonder if accepting this clears efx for future issues? their data is supposedly still breached. they have lost basic security requirements (SOC2). lastly, their marketing company is still reselling data and they changed the name from ixi.

if you work for a govt agency, state, large municipality, fortune company you are at risk. it is still mind blowing that companies still use The Work Number. if you work for one of the previously mentioned places i would contact HR immediately and not allow your data to be sent to efx every payroll run. you are at risk.

How the fuck Equifax is allowed to continue as a going concern instead of being liquidated to fucking oblivion is beyond me.  I had seven fucking fraudulent accounts I had to disentangle thanks to these cockmonglers.  Fortunately, I kept all my email correspondence , police reports, and notes labeled, so all I had to do was send them as PDFs (with a generously conservative effort of 40 hours of my life down the shitter), as well as documentation of over $600 I've spent on credit monitoring since then.

We'll see what comes of it.  I've been wanting to add an extra TV to the game room for football season, I guess that's better than nothing.

• Like 2

Yay! The website says I wasn’t impacted by the breach, which probably means that I was, but equifuck doesn’t want to pay.

CSB, several years ago I got a letter from the federal government’s Office of Personnel Management notifying me that they had been hacked and all my data, including my fingerprints, had been stolen. But, and this is the hilarious part, not to worry because “experts” had not found any possible criminal use for stolen fingerprints, so it’s all good.

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Well played.  Didn't occur to me that CK qualifies as credit monitoring.  

Yep; every time I’ve applied for credit since signing up I’ve received a near instantaneous email/notification from them.  Fyi; its a setting you have to turn on and they obviously won’t help you clear your credit if someone stills it but i have insurance through work for that...

3 hours ago, Damor said:

How the fuck Equifax is allowed to continue as a going concern instead of being liquidated to fucking oblivion is beyond me.

The business of the American government is being “business friendly”, no matter the moral hazard. The many, many examples of this out front should have told ya.

• Like 1

Instead of pulling their charter and throwing their officers in prison, the corrupt, incompetent corporation is made to pay a small fine, the government is happy, the corporation doesn’t change its behavior at all...profit.

• Like 1

Instead of pulling their charter and throwing their officers in prison, the corrupt, incompetent corporation is made to pay a small fine, the government is happy, the corporation doesn’t change its behavior at all...profit.

I wouldn’t call $700M a small fine. But it remains to be seen if it’s enough to be a wake up call.

26 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I wouldn’t call $700M a small fine. But it remains to be seen if it’s enough to be a wake up call.

it's not even enough to put a dent in the stock price.  on the contrary, that shit's up ~18% over the last couple of months.

10 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

The eventual fallout of giving your email to a company that will use it for marketing isn't worth $125. 

Pro-tip... You can put a period anywhere in a Gmail address before the @ and whatever site will see it as a unique address. But Google will treat it like there is no period at all. So, s.pankytoes@gmail.com and sp.ankytoes@gmail.com will register as unique email addresses with whatever site... That you can then unsubscribe from, but all Gmail sees is spankytoes@gmail.com. 

Tll;dr, I'm doing to get damn near an 8 ball from eqifax for free!

Edited by pops

5 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Yotdammit I broke down, put in my deceased pappy's info, and then my own, and based on the info we ain't impacted. Ain't impacted? Well. Fuck YOU, Equifax, think we ain't good enough for you to lose our data?

Don't you have to have some sort of credit history for them to know who you are?

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/7/26/8932398/equifax-settlement-125-claim-wont-get-money-alternative-reimbursement-compensation

But the likelihood that you’ll actually get a check for $125 is increasingly slim — because the more people who sign up, the less money each person gets. In fact, there’s only room for 248,000 people to get that amount.

See, while Equifax has agreed to a $700 million settlement — compare to its revenue of $880 million last quarter alone— it’s technically only a $425 million settlement as far as affected consumers are concerned, with the rest of the money going to pay penalties.

And of that $425 million, it turns out only a paltry $31 million is actually set aside for those individual $125 cash payments — the rest is all for free credit monitoring, reimbursements, or if you could somehow miraculously prove you actually suffered identity theft as a result of the breach.

8 hours ago, The People’s Elbow said:

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/7/26/8932398/equifax-settlement-125-claim-wont-get-money-alternative-reimbursement-compensation

But the likelihood that you’ll actually get a check for $125 is increasingly slim — because the more people who sign up, the less money each person gets. In fact, there’s only room for 248,000 people to get that amount.

See, while Equifax has agreed to a $700 million settlement — compare to its revenue of $880 million last quarter alone— it’s technically only a $425 million settlement as far as affected consumers are concerned, with the rest of the money going to pay penalties.

And of that $425 million, it turns out only a paltry $31 million is actually set aside for those individual $125 cash payments — the rest is all for free credit monitoring, reimbursements, or if you could somehow miraculously prove you actually suffered identity theft as a result of the breach.

Sounds like a breach of contract to me

While I’m skeptical on any long term damage, this has to be extremely painful for Equifax. Which is good for us and a lesson for others.  People’s greed is teaching them that Equifax was lax in their security. And when people ultimately receive a check for 55 cents, it will make them more angry at the company that ripped them off from their “deserved” $125. 

Wouldnt shock me if Equifax changes their name/brand in the next  3 years to get this episode behind them. 

4 minutes ago, BottleRocket said:

Why ask for last six of social when everyone always asks for last four. Next time they’ll ask for first three and then it’s all out there.

The 2 are group numbers.  The funny thing is that at one point the first 3 were your area code (mine and my dads are).  

Group numbers - These two middle digits, which range from 01 through 99, are simply used to break all the SSNs with the same area number into smaller blocks

On 7/26/2019 at 9:53 AM, ButtFumble said:

I believe you get the $125 for nothing other than signing up

as I read it any additional money you are trying to claim for effort you put into checking your credit reports or otherwise dealing with an issue from a breach is what requires more documentation

This is correct.

They purposefully make it confusing in order to lead people to believe what JimmyJ believed.  I fell for it too, at first, but read more closely and put in for my $125.  

I'm not claiming anything beyond just having been part of the breach (which was confirmed through a simple look-up), so I'm providing nothing beyond name, rank, and serial number.

Request shows as "successful" and I"m awaiting my check.  

We'll see if it actually comes.

It's my understanding that you should be able to claim monies spent on credit monitoring since 7/2017.  It only took a minute for me to search my credit card statements and PDF those to upload, so that's something to think about.

I won't be shocked if I only get $0.32 out of this in the end, but it's managed to satisfyingly stoke my righteous indignation.

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

While I’m skeptical on any long term damage, this has to be extremely painful for Equifax. Which is good for us and a lesson for others.  People’s greed is teaching them that Equifax was lax in their security. And when people ultimately receive a check for 55 cents, it will make them more angry at the company that ripped them off from their “deserved” $125. 

Wouldnt shock me if Equifax changes their name/brand in the next  3 years to get this episode behind them. 

There’s a concept in the security arena known as breach fatigue. The idea is that as more and more of these hit the headlines but the majority of people aren’t directly impacted in a noticeable way, the less the general public cares. Younger generations are very comfortable putting all sorts of information on the Internet, and identity theft isn’t nearly impossible to prove like it used to be. 

Somewhat related CSB: a few months back I received a postcard about a class action lawsuit with BP for being charged a 0.35$ transaction fee in 2012.  It said I would receive 2 payments totaling $185. One this July and one next. I didn’t believe it and actually forgot about it until this thread. Today the first payment in the amount of $91.94 was in my mailbox box.  Not bad for $0.35 cost.  

i wonder if accepting this clears efx for future issues? their data is supposedly still breached. they have lost basic security requirements (SOC2). lastly, their marketing company is still reselling data and they changed the name from ixi.

if you work for a govt agency, state, large municipality, fortune company you are at risk. it is still mind blowing that companies still use The Work Number. if you work for one of the previously mentioned places i would contact HR immediately and not allow your data to be sent to efx every payroll run. you are at risk.

I see the Trans Union clown is still around spreading disinformation. Lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were lax. No need to rebrand. 113 year old company. It’s hard to explain to people who complain when without CRA’s like Equifax, they’d be paying 25%+ interest on ANY kind of loan they want.

Breaches suck. Not being able to afford to borrow money because credit reports don’t exist sucks exponentially more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I’m torn. I can certainly claim the ten hours (probably more like 15, but it’s not worth the time to itemize everything just to get a little extra). But now these stories suggesting the settlement is going to get diluted have me nervous. The credit monitoring has guaranteed value. If I forgo that and end up with a check for a few bucks then I’ll be pissed. But if I take it and everybody else gets their full payout, I’m gonna be pissed.