The sketchiest/dumpiest bar you've ever been to.

Parliament

Not so much sketchy as insane.
Anyone recall the Across the Street bar (I'm pretty sure that was the name) mid-90's near the Cotton Bowl post OU games?  25 cent pitchers.  One could buy 4 pitchers of beer for a dollar.  I'd buy 6, drop a couple, hand a couple to other UT fans, and still have 2 pitchers left.  I have no idea how,
1) This place made any money and,
2) How I didn't die.
Volume. Cover charge.

Yes sir! Right on Davis in between Hampton and Westmoreland. The parking lot (if you call it that) is nothing but gravel and fits maybe a handful of cars. Went on a few dates there after someone I knew who lived in Oak Cliff recommended it. You have to know where exactly it is because you will pass it. When we went, we sat in the front area by the bar. It was just us 2 there. There was pool tables up the steps past the bar. They have karaoke in there on Thursdays. 
Fireplace Lounge in East Dallas on Samuell/Dolphin is pretty much like Tradewinds. My grandparents were good friends with the owner. They were one night when a car drove straight through the establishment. It was pretty bad but no one was hurt.

Trade winds is down the street from me(I live on the other side of Hampton). Regularly occurring shooting over that way after 10...or 8p on weekends. Lots of sketch bars that way.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Anyone recall the Across the Street bar (I'm pretty sure that was the name) mid-90's near the Cotton Bowl post OU games?  25 cent pitchers.  One could buy 4 pitchers of beer for a dollar.  I'd buy 6, drop a couple, hand a couple to other UT fans, and still have 2 pitchers left.  I have no idea how,

2) How I didn't die.

I watched one of the ou games there, pretty sure it was a early 2000’s game, didn’t have a ticket but everyone but me and a buddy did.  We sat in that bar out numbered by ou fans till half.  Down  by 30 or so at half our friends inside decided to leave and come meet us.  We lasted like 10 more min and headed out.  I’m pretty sure they had a laundry mat in the back of that bar....

Jimmy’s - San Augustine, TX. Watch Bernie and imagine those jurors x100.

Also - Time Out in Tyler needs a mention. Some of the wildest times of my life took place there. I think there is a country song about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Since we have shifted to shitty titters, the Crazy Lady has to be mentioned but The Landing Strip (or whatever it's called now) is by far the most repulsive in Austin. I stopped in for some Jameson after being picked up at the airport by a Surlster who shall not be named.

After several drinks, it actually became comical. I had no interest in fat cholas, but Vic would have been in heaven.

I'm pretty sure Hot Bodies holds the claim as the dumpiest titty bar in Austin

article-2227806-15D976C1000005DC-13_468x

Edited by Texas007
derp

39 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Hmm was not familiar with this fine establishment. I might just have to investigate your claim to determine it's veracity, for science of course.

Enter with caution. The hyperlink I included in my post is a story titled "Stripper blinds man with stiletto during dressing room brawl among 17 women".

I recall a story awhile back about a customer who went back to a dancer's apartment and was subsequently robbed and murdered...

Found it: https://www.statesman.com/article/20110608/NEWS/306089655.

17 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That would be Raffles. It was an octogenarian singles bar. The guy who owned it played for the Pirates for a minute. I once saw some old dude have a heart attack  on the dance floor there. They also had great enchiladas on Tuesdays for lunch.

The Mineshaft bar in the Magic Time Machine right behind it is still a good dive. Depending on what time you are there, the entertainment consists of watching families eat their shitty overpriced food or drinking with Pippy Longstocking or Captain Jack Sparrow after they get off of work.

Toro Bravo looked like the fucking Ritz compared to the Casa Blanca motel where the putas take you after you've negotiated with them.

Raffles for the win.  Also, mid to late 80's "Just Country" on Perrin Beitel would have some sort of special that catered to older wimmenz and that was a blast.  Lots of money mamas would pack the place.

I am the reason there’s a titty bar where the Landing Strip is.

See, back in the day, it was the relocated Red Rose. The old Red Rose was on Ben White, but got bought out by TXDOT when they expanded the road. They had the money from that, and wanted to relocate. I was a law clerk at a dinky little firm to make some extra cash while I was in school.

They gave me a list of locations, and told me to look at the regs and restrictions on each location, and recommend one. So I did. And they followed my rec. A few years later, it changed owners and name.

You’re welcome.

Not all heroes wear capes.

2) How I didn't die.

Good times.
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 6:21 PM, Crapinon said:

In college we specialized in dive bars. Some of the best:

Norma's Lounge Hwy 277 near Benbrook TX. Totally nude club in the 70's. They had a Radio Shack 8 track player and speakers on the floor and for the dancers. The dancers we saw were stoned to the bejesus (Luuudes). This was still during the time that regular strippers still had to wear pasties. We saw a guy getting BJ at the table next to us, next to the dance area.

Not sure if Norma's is the same place but I used to frequent Lipstick on 377 in Benbrook.  Tipped a pregnant dancer in there more than a few times.  Would have boned her too but obviously somebody beat me to it.

SWCFROG

8 hours ago, wutang75 said:

Time Out in Tyler needs a mention. 

TimeOut is great.  I went once and there was a hotrod car show off bonanza in town.  We received VERY little attention that night.  It was like greasemonkey Christmas.

On 7/26/2019 at 12:34 PM, Parliament said:

For me it was Critters Lounge in Lincoln, NE.  We were down there for a football game and our hotel shared a parking lot.  Full of people who had LONG given up on achieving anything in life, even consistent happiness.  So they all went there straight from their job at the tire place, mobile home dealership or wherever.  And drank Keystone Light until close and then drove their 1998 Chevy Malibu back to the double wide.

That particular night they had a $5 "buffet."  A sheet of plastic was tossed over the pool table, and a table cloth over that.  The cuisine consisted of salad from a bag, hotdogs from a crock pot and chili.  I think it was supposed to be chili.  Kinda tasted like it?  None of the booze hags came over and rubbed my leg (maybe because of my Ohio State jersey?) but they stared at me all night.  Scary.

I don't know if Harry's Wonder Bar is still open, but that was where the cool kids went a long long time ago. That or the Brass Rail. I've forgotten a lot of the others but never heard of Critters.

15 hours ago, tbone_ said:

There was a Tender Trap in Vegas back in the day. Interesting place.

Slowly raises hand. This thread is getting a little embarrassing for me. You have to try hard to find a titty bar in Vegas with disgusting girls, but somehow the Tender Trap made it happen. I heard one of the greatest lines ever in that bar.

Friend 1: Man, this place is dark.

Friend 2: Yeah, but not dark enough to hide the stretch marks and the stab wounds.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, RPM said:

I've been to some pretty low rent country bars in North Texas. They were usually somebody's barn that was converted into a honky tonk. Upside was they were so remote, cops weren't a problem because you could backroad it home. Downside is the hvac was always shit.

One of my uncles was a proprietor of a place like this. He bought a little parcel of land on the side of the road as you're coming into Tours from West. Called it "Country Junction" if I remember right. Put up a red iron building, had a coin op pool table, a jukebox, cold beer in an icebox. I think his AC worked pretty well though. Mostly it was just a way for him to get folks to pay for his own beer drinking.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

One of my uncles was a proprietor of a place like this. He bought a little parcel of land on the side of the road as you're coming into Tours from West. Called it "Country Junction" if I remember right. Put up a red iron building, had a coin op pool table, a jukebox, cold beer in an icebox. I think his AC worked pretty well though. Mostly it was just a way for him to get folks to pay for his own beer drinking.

Haha!!  Holy shit!  I've been to Country Junction before  

11 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Haha!!  Holy shit!  I've been to Country Junction before  

I think most everybody there around Tours who likes cold beer has owned it at one time or another but he was the original. He was a salesman for Central Texas Iron Works and prolly got a sweet deal on the materials to put the building up. He's a bit of a hot head when he's had a few though and I think he ran most of the 15 or so people off eventually and someone else had to try their hand at it. Rinse and repeat.

4 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I think most everybody there around Tours who likes cold beer has owned it at one time or another but he was the original. He was a salesman for Central Texas Iron Works and prolly got a sweet deal on the materials to put the building up. He's a bit of a hot head when he's had a few though and I think he ran most of the 15 or so people off eventually and someone else had to try their hand at it. Rinse and repeat.

Is Ross Store back open again?  I used to love a random saturday afternoon trip that started at Quittin' Time Club, then to Ross Store and finish it off at Tokio.  

16 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I watched one of the ou games there, pretty sure it was a early 2000’s game, didn’t have a ticket but everyone but me and a buddy did.  We sat in that bar out numbered by ou fans till half.  Down  by 30 or so at half our friends inside decided to leave and come meet us.  We lasted like 10 more min and headed out.  I’m pretty sure they had a laundry mat in the back of that bar....

Across the street bar with he 25 cent pitchers was over by SMU and yes that place was insane. 

The bar across the street from the cotton bowl with a laundry mat in the back is called "bar of soap" (which sadly is also closed)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Is Ross Store back open again?  I used to love a random saturday afternoon trip that started at Quittin' Time Club, then to Ross Store and finish it off at Tokio.  

I don't know, shit, I didn't know it had ever closed. :) Way back in the day there was a little bar of sorts in Tours called the "Dew Drop Inn". It was in a converted garage or storage shed, had room for maybe 10 people if they were small. I think the owner was either a spinster or widow woman. Just a place for a farmer to get a cold beer on their way back from the cotton gin.

On 7/26/2019 at 7:53 PM, burntorangebongos said:

. The horseshoe lounge had some racist regulars that didn't like drinking with mexicans and would say things but the bar tenders always threw them out  in favor of me. I guess the regulars were gonna come back anyway....no way to change their rut. Only happened maybe 2 times in the dozen that I went there. Usually everybody just minded their own business or yakked it up with a new face.

My driver's ed school was next to the horseshoe lounge. Dad would drop me off at driver's ed, and after class I would scrape him out of the horseshoe and drive us home.

On 7/27/2019 at 10:47 AM, Vic Mackey said:

Yes sir! Right on Davis in between Hampton and Westmoreland. The parking lot (if you call it that) is nothing but gravel and fits maybe a handful of cars. Went on a few dates there after someone I knew who lived in Oak Cliff recommended it. You have to know where exactly it is because you will pass it. When we went, we sat in the front area by the bar. It was just us 2 there. There was pool tables up the steps past the bar. They have karaoke in there on Thursdays. 

Fireplace Lounge in East Dallas on Samuell/Dolphin is pretty much like Tradewinds. My grandparents were good friends with the owner. They were one night when a car drove straight through the establishment. It was pretty bad but no one was hurt. There is also a very small mexican club on Samuell going further down towards East Grand and Winslow area. I can't remember the name of it but it is sketchy as fuck. @Zepol87 probably knows what I am talking about.

In terms of strip clubs, Tiger's Cabaret in East Dallas with the Malibu bar right next to it is about as sketchy as it gets. Constantly fights. Murders have happened in the parking lot and other shootings. Very small and a dump. But right up my alley (although not as much anymore). 

Longboard here knows which bar you’re talking about. It’s probably Bolas right there at East Grand and Samuell. If not, it might be Chavez Cantina or Palmeras.

And yes, Tiger’s Cabaret is sketchy as fuck! Has to be up in the top 3 worst strip clubs in Dallas. Went there once, will never go back.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 3:45 PM, demos said:

Babydolls (pretty that’s what they were calling it at time), which was a strip club located next to the Angelina River on Hwy 59 near the Nacogdoches county line.

i came in here to post exactly that.  affectionately known as the purple shack.  was on the county line between lufkin and nac back when angelina county was dry.

On 7/31/2019 at 4:39 PM, El Diablo said:

Tokio Store patron?

On 7/31/2019 at 10:47 AM, SWCFROG said:

Not sure if Norma's is the same place but I used to frequent Lipstick on 377 in Benbrook.  Tipped a pregnant dancer in there more than a few times.  Would have boned her too but obviously somebody beat me to it.

SWCFROG

It's been too long and I don't remember where exactly it was, but I remember it was close to, if not in, Benbrook. I just remember the stage was almost floor level and there was sex going on in the booths around the wall. There can't be that many totally nude sleazy strip clubs in Benbrook. 

18 hours ago, sidis said:

i came in here to post exactly that.  affectionately known as the purple shack.  was on the county line between lufkin and nac back when angelina county was dry.

On 7/26/2019 at 3:45 PM, demos said:

It’s a tie:

Some strip club in Killeen. Don’t remember the name because I was 3 sheets to the wind when we got there.

Babydolls (pretty that’s what they were calling it at time), which was a strip club located next to the Angelina River on Hwy 59 near the Nacogdoches county line.

8 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Purple Palace was the name I heard most often back in the day.

looking at steet view, looks like that lovely spot did not survive angelina county allowing booze...

Capture.jpg

EDIT: looks like this must have done them in...

https://www.14news.com/story/15305362/tx-deputies-19-arrested-at-strip-club/

lol:

Sheriff Kerss says the club became a priority for his office because they were breaking the law, and were an embarrassment.

Edited by sidis

19 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Longboard here knows which bar you’re talking about. It’s probably Bolas right there at East Grand and Samuell. If not, it might be Chavez Cantina or Palmeras.

And yes, Tiger’s Cabaret is sketchy as fuck! Has to be up in the top 3 worst strip clubs in Dallas. Went there once, will never go back.

I went to Tiger's with a buddy many moons ago.  Had a good time, but it was a little rough around the edges, I thought.  A short time later told a couple firemen friends and their faces went ashen.  They told me they'd just been there to clean up after some guy got in an altercation in the club, then in the parking lot some of the antagonists ambushed him and blew his head off with a shotgun.  They said they were out there all the time for one thing or another.  I figured I'd just not bother with that place anymore.  Honestly, I'm surprised it's still open given the trouble they had, but maybe it isn't like that anymore.

So late one night in college, probably 87 or so, me and some buddies staggered around the corner from the old Cave Club and saw a never before noticed shit-hole-in-the-wall place called chain drive. Just had a little sign by the door with two sprockets and a bicycle looking chain around them. Our crew of idiots barged in there on a whim. There were about 20 dudes in there all dressed like Rob Halford and immediately they all turned around to look at us. We paused about a nanosecond and backed right back out into the street.

Of course this was back in the day when places like this could, and probably had to, fly under the radar so we had never heard of it.

On 8/1/2019 at 10:19 AM, honolulu horn said:

18585362_G.jpg?auto=webp&disable=upscale

Club Hot Ash in Honolulu is in a horrible part of town, has the dregs of society working there, and in addition was the scene of a gunfight a few weeks ago. You'd never guess it from the enchanting outdoor appearance. Everything you need in your next vacation to the islands.

You sure?  I don't see a 10 year-old financed Corvette in the parking lot.

The correct answers are:

Nuevo Laredo (outside la zona);

Anything in south San Antonio; and

The salty dog in port a. Did a flash dance there one night spraying my beer all over my friends and swinging my shirt overhead. When my shirt hit the ceiling fan decades of dust and shit blew all over the shrimpers. Then things got serious.

Honorable mention - Most dangerous goes to tie - Mccurtain County Oklahoma and Hull, England. For whatever reason those people really like knives. I would rather try my chances in Mogadishu than there.

On 7/31/2019 at 11:08 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

I don't know if Harry's Wonder Bar is still open, but that was where the cool kids went a long long time ago. That or the Brass Rail. I've forgotten a lot of the others but never heard of Critters.

I can confirm that Harry's Wonder Bar in Lincoln is still open, I last was by there in June. Cool place.

17 hours ago, GopherRock said:

The only time I've ever felt like I was going to get shot was in some rat hole on the east side of Columbus, Ohio that I don't remember the name of. Turns out the joint was very close to the nightclub where Dime Bag Darrell was shot on stage, so there you go. 

The Alrosa Villa is no different from any other small rock venue. Gale wouldve killed dimebag in any other venue, Im not sure it wouldve made a difference. Yes, Columbus's east side is a bit "dark".

5 hours ago, CoTex said:

The correct answers are:

The salty dog in port a. Did a flash dance there one night spraying my beer all over my friends and swinging my shirt overhead. When my shirt hit the ceiling fan decades of dust and shit blew all over the shrimpers. Then things got serious.

Honorable mention - Most dangerous goes to tie - Mccurtain County Oklahoma and Hull, England. For whatever reason those people really like knives. I would rather try my chances in Mogadishu than there.

South San Antonio? It's not bad at all. I like a lot of those places. Mustang Sally is really cool. Presa has a few cool bars that are not at all dangerous.

4 hours ago, CoTex said:

The correct answers are:

Lol @ Salty Dog. Just no. Yes it gets a little rowdy with tourists at times, but the local methheads can’t even afford a beer there. In case you were serious, it was torn down after Harvey and the new place will open next month. From your description, are you sure you aren’t thinking of Shorty’s? That would be where decades of dust might fall on your head. But again that would be a hard no. How long ago was this? Sure you aren’t thinking of Aransas Pass? I’m not sure I have seen a shrimper in a bar here in the 15 years i’ve lived in Port A.

The Flats (now closed but probably opening again soon) sandwiched between Bernie’s and Shorty’s got a little sketchy towards the end of its run with a murder and multiple stabbings. You were just as likely to run into a multi-millionaire there as you were a hardcore thug. I’m not sure you get the gist of the thread.

• Haha 1