The sketchiest/dumpiest bar you've ever been to.

Parliament

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

Timeframe? There’s been a bunch. we recycle bartenders here in Port A pretty fast. Owner of the bar is Rhonda.

Late 90's. 

EDIT: Fail. Just read your other post, I was thinking of Shorty's.

Edited by El Diablo

Lol @ Salty Dog. Just no. Yes it gets a little rowdy with tourists at times, but the local methheads can’t even afford a beer there. In case you were serious, it was torn down after Harvey and the new place will open next month. From your description, are you sure you aren’t thinking of Shorty’s? That would be where decades of dust might fall on your head. But again that would be a hard no. How long ago was this? Sure you aren’t thinking of Aransas Pass? I’m not sure I have seen a shrimper in a bar here in the 15 years i’ve lived in Port A.
The Flats (now closed but probably opening again soon) sandwiched between Bernie’s and Shorty’s got a little sketchy towards the end of its run with a murder and multiple stabbings. You were just as likely to run into a multi-millionaire there as you were a hardcore thug. I’m not sure you get the gist of the thread.

I didn’t know that the SD had improved, but in about 1998, it was shitty.

Unless you have been an overnight resident in the Port Arkansas jail, and appeared still drunk the next day in Judge Neblett’s court to answer for your awesomeness, and

been hit with a bottle at sharkeys, and then driven all the way to the flour bluff heb to buy butterflys because the IGA has none,

Back up off my port a street cred.

I remember walking into a back alley place in Itaewon, in Seoul. I remember watching the bartender, a 55-60 yr old woman, cut the top off of a 1-liter plastic bottle.  I remember her filling it 3/4 the way full with soju. I remember her putting three scoops of koolaid powder in it. I remember her stirring it up and handing it to me.

I don't remember much else.

On 8/2/2019 at 9:00 AM, sidis said:

looking at steet view, looks like that lovely spot did not survive angelina county allowing booze...

Capture.jpg

EDIT: looks like this must have done them in...

https://www.14news.com/story/15305362/tx-deputies-19-arrested-at-strip-club/

lol:

Wasn't Angelina County, cross the river it's Nacogdoches County, the slut sister.

I mean they knew those containers were empty, right?  Just for decoration.  Not filled with like human trafficking victims from Greece or anything.  

On 8/2/2019 at 5:54 AM, luke duke said:

Anyone been to the TU Club in Cresson?

If you mean Whiskey Flats, I have once probably damn near two decades ago. Cresson is slightly farther south. Remember the dancers had to put their own quarters in the jukebox to play their songs. 

On 8/3/2019 at 11:09 AM, CoTex said:

I didn’t know that the SD had improved, but in about 1998, it was shitty.

Unless you have been an overnight resident in the Port Arkansas jail, and appeared still drunk the next day in Judge Neblett’s court to answer for your awesomeness, and

been hit with a bottle at sharkeys, and then driven all the way to the flour bluff heb to buy butterflys because the IGA has none,

Back up off my port a street cred.

Ok you know Port A. Point taken.

My point is that none of those bars are sketchy or dumpy and I’m sorry you act like a moron while visiting Port A. Was the stripping no shirt incident the same night as getting arrested and also getting hit at Sharkeys? 

On 8/3/2019 at 4:15 AM, El Diablo said:

Late 90's. 

EDIT: Fail. Just read your other post, I was thinking of Shorty's.

I didn’t get here until 2004 so I’m not sure. The most well known bartenders from around that time were Howie (RIP) and Boo (because flashing her tits).

The R&R in Oak island, Texas......we just about got in a big fight with about 90% of the 16-22yos in the town and lucky for us we were in a pretty big group ourselves with some pretty big guys and that town was full of shrimper crabber pussies

the "adults" there said shit to us as we were leaving as well.....all we did was just go there and bother to actually sit down at a large table and order food, pay for it, tip well, and then play pool and drink some beers while minding our own business.......I think that was "showing off too much" to the locals

some places in Acuna that I do not remember the name of....not Hunters Club or The Up And Down other places for locals

On 8/2/2019 at 9:47 PM, dcbc said:

Anyone remember Bailey's on Timmons near the Summit in the mid 90s?  Place was a strip mall, smoke filled dump of depression with cheap drinks and Patsy Cline on the jukebox when I was there at least.

Yes.   Lived down the street from that place.  Staggering distance. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Wasn't Angelina County, cross the river it's Nacogdoches County, the slut sister.

Correct. But part of its appeal and reason it was on the county line between the two was the fact that Angelina county was a dry county for decades but that changed in the last ten years. 

1 hour ago, sidis said:

Correct. But part of its appeal and reason it was on the county line between the two was the fact that Angelina county was a dry county for decades but that changed in the last ten years. 

Correct, and my apologies..my reading comprehension went to sucksville yesterday.

8 hours ago, justhookit said:

I didn’t get here until 2004 so I’m not sure. The most well known bartenders from around that time were Howie (RIP) and Boo (because flashing her tits).

Pretty sure it was Howie. A buddy of mine in San Marcos used to hang out there while waiting on um, packages. San Marcos guy said to mention his name to the bartender and that I'd get preferential treatment. He didn't lie. They got me absolutely shitfaced blackout drunk and I'm not sure I paid for a drink there. Do think I tipped Howie a $100 bill or at least I like to remember it that way. RIP indeed.

8 hours ago, sidis said:

And I am grateful for that shit, I tell you what...

Although, bringing back some casual nudity would be a good thing. Buncha ball-bustin’ Pentecostals...

Cheers from Lufkin!

I have been to many of the bars listed in this thread, including the St. Walburg Inn in Saskatchewan, oddly enough.  I didn't find that place to be sketchy in the least, but I guess I could see how it might get that way on the right night.  That is true for many of the places listed.  If you only went one night, and you caught it on the "right" (or wrong) night, it might seem pretty terrible.  For example, I see some love for Shipps on Lower Greenville, but that place is in my top 5 of bars that creeped me out.  This would have been late 90s/early 2000s...lots of sad alcoholics in there and I also had bar patrons ask me for money or to buy them drinks.  I probably went 3 times over 8 years and each time I was grossed out by the people in there.  

One place I haven't seen mentioned yet that I would like to add to the list is Dream Street (think that was the name, or something close to that), a super sketchy titter east of 35 somewhere over by the Travis County Exposition Center.  I thought that place was considerably worse in every way than The Crazy Lady or The Landing Strip.  It was open during the mid-90s, not sure when it closed down, but it was terrible.  Multiple strippers with track marks, etc.   

Also, I think the closest I ever came to getting murdered was at Shorty's.  I was there on a night someone had just gotten out of prison and they were having a welcome home party for him.  Someone threatened to stab me for not letting the guest of honor cut in line at the bathroom, and then it got worse from there, as it was widely circulated that I had "disrespected" the felon.  This was on a very busy summer night in 2003 or 2004.  I get that it's not really a sketchy bar, but on that particular night 15 or 16 years ago, it sure as shit seemed sketchy to me.   

Great thread, by the way.

On 7/26/2019 at 1:38 PM, Hpara759 said:

Crystal Pistol in Amarillo on the Blvd. found this recent story about. It looked the same back in the late 70's (different paint) as it did in the news story.........

https://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/former-crystal-pistol-building-condmned-by-the-city

I remember a stripper named Montana.........

spacer.png

Hell yes.  Crystal Pistol on Amarillo Boulevard.  First titty bar ever went into, we were all of 16 and they let us in.

On 7/26/2019 at 4:05 PM, captained said:

bird hunting near corsicana with a brokerage desk i was at in the mid/late 00s.  one of the owners said he had a great bar close by we should visit in mustang/corsicana.  not enough brain bleach in the world.

spacer.png

Driven by there a few times on my way to Houston and always thought “I never want to know what the dancers look like there.”

There used to be a bar back in the 80's in Lindsay called the Silver Spur. Our name for it was Sin City. Just a big metal building honky tonk, but it drew in the Catholic German farm girls from Muenster and the college chicks from CCCC in Gainesville. Well, they swore they were juco chicks but ID wasn't a big issue. Go Leopards!

Drinks were dirt cheap 50¢ well and $1 call. They had 10¢ beer nights, too. If you couldn't get laid there, you just couldn't get laid.

Changed owners sometime in the late 90's and suffered a strike of Jewish lightning.

Those were the days...

Edited by RPM

3 hours ago, RPM said:

There used to be a bar back in the 80's in Lindsay called the Silver Spur. Our name for it was Sin City. Just a big metal building honky tonk, but it drew in the Catholic German farm girls from Muenster and the college chicks from CCCC in Gainesville. Well, they swore they were juco chicks but ID wasn't a big issue. Go Leopards!

Drinks were dirt cheap 50¢ well and $1 call. They had 10¢ beer nights, too. If you couldn't get laid there, you just couldn't get laid.

Changed owners sometime in the late 90's and suffered a strike of Jewish lightning.

Those were the days...

I've been there, it was the summer of 78'. That was the same night I ended up at the I-35 Club in Thackerville Ok...met a lovely gal there, she had a pair of brass knuckles in her back pocket