Election Security 2020

Pancho

Jennifer Cohn @jennycohn1
·Nov 16, 2018
First, starting in 2015, Florida became one of a small number of  states to allow voting machine vendor ES&S to install cellular  modems in its DS200 precinct scanners, which are used throughout the state of Florida. 3/

As explained by cyber-security and election expert Andrew Appel  (Princeton University), such modems would allow hackers to alter results  via fake cell towers as the tallies are in transmission from the precincts to each county's central tabulator. (link: https://freedom-to-tinker.com/2018/02/22/are-voting-machine-modems-truly-divorced-from-the-internet/) freedom-to-tinker.com/2018/02/22/are… 4/

Diebold apparently has also installed these cellular modems in some of their machines.

Jennifer Cohn@jennycohn1
·Nov 16, 2018
9/ According to election and cyber-expert Douglas Jones, “Certainly,  [Diebold Election Systems] did the same...In the case of [Diebold], many  of  their contracts with customers included the requirement of a remote-login port...

10/ ... allowing [the company] to have remote access to the  customer system in order to allow customer support.”

Threads

https://twitter.com/jennycohn1/status/1063561728238092288

https://twitter.com/jennycohn1/status/1154875195431112704

7 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Dems need to find a country to change votes as well. We can elect our representatives based on which countries hack us better... 

Who are the Dems gonna get?  Germany?

All the state sponsored hacking countries want the US to go to shit so they are all on board the Trump train. 

Maybe India wants a strong America. They're our only hope. 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Needs its own thread. We will start with this...

They don't really need to try that hard. McConnell will just give them the passwords if they ask nicely.  If he hasn't already. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

Republicans want our voting machines to be hacked because our enemies are currently supporting Republicans in their cyber attacks on this country. Hence, they will continue to block legislation that would prevent it. 

/thread

• Like 1

I confess I don't know enough about the details of how a vote gets from a voter pulling a lever to being part of the actual count.

Anyone have any guesses as to how the Russians would change votes? The tweets I posted earlier say that manufacturers of machines have installed cellular modems that could be compromised. I know the Russians looked around in voter registration systems in '16.

Republicans want our voting machines to be hacked because our enemies are currently supporting Republicans in their cyber attacks on this country. Hence, they will continue to block legislation that would prevent it. 
/thread

Yeah...this should be a short thread. We don’t have election security. Because that’s how the GOP wants it.

Hey Millenials on this board! Got a question for you. 

What’s the best way to start a petition/drive/pledge drive/whatever to start a campaign to get Moscow Mitch publicly tarred and feathered if he wants to continue leading the Senate? As a member of Gen X, I could probably do it myself but I’m lazy, technologically illiterate for my age, and I bet you could do it much better anyway connecting to your fellow millennial brethren, and you might even get some free publicity out of the deal for your bullshit app. 

I get 10 percent of all royalties though, if any of course. 

And if you don’t want to I guess I’ll fucking do it myself. 

• 1 month later...

A bunch of different voting machines were tested during this year's Def Con, not good news as expected. Read the report for full details but for those that are from the TL/DR camp basically it says same shit is still broke, get paper ballots out ASAP!

• 4 months later...

The Interstate Crosscheck system is election fraud goddammit.  Georgia's voter rolls were used to purge voters in other states via Crosscheck.

Kemp Loses Vote Purge Suit Brought by Reporter Palast & nbsp;

FEBRUARY 8, 2020

"Atlanta-Feb 9] In an extraordinary and unexpected move, Federal Judge Eleanor Ross has declared Gov. Brian Kemp the loser in a lawsuit brought by investigative journalist Greg Palast to compel the State of Georgia to open up its complete files on the mass purge of over half a million voters from the rolls.

Surprising all parties, the judge ruled that Kemp’s defense was so weak that no trial is needed. The judge acted “sua sponte” — on her own initiative, unrequested by Palast’s attorneys.

Palast has been fighting Kemp to release his hidden purge lists and methods for six years, for Rolling Stone, Aljazeera, Salon, Democracy Now and currently, The Guardian.

Palast said, “Kemp and the new Sec. of State of Georgia want to keep the lid on their methods for removing literally hundreds of thousands of low-income, young and minority voters on the basis of false information. They cannot hide any more. This is a huge win and precedent for reporters trying to pry information from the hands of guilty officials.”

A key issue at stake are the “Interstate Crosscheck” purge lists secretly provided to Georgia by the Kansas Secretary of State in 2015 and 2017. Kemp had turned over Georgia’s voter rolls to Kansas official Kris Kobach, who worked closely with Donald Trump, and is known for his racially biased vote suppression techniques.

“Kemp tried to hide the Crosscheck lists which he got from his crony Kobach. The lists are at least 99.9% wrong. Kemp’s office claimed he did not use the lists to purge voters, an assertion contradicted by his GOP predecessor. Moreover, Zach D. Reports of the Palast investigative team obtained the Georgia 2013 purge list provided by Kobach through (legal) investigative techniques — so we know, and the judge knows, he has more squirreled away.

“Kemp finally turned over evidence that he purged 106,000 voters, overwhelmingly voters of color, that were on the Crosscheck list. But that’s just the tip of the purge-berg.”

Palast’s co-plaintiff Helen Butler is the Executive Director of the Georgia Coalition for the Peoples Agenda, a non-partisan group founded by civil rights legend Rev. Joseph Lowery. Lowery, commenting on the Crosscheck purge system, told Palast, “It’s Jim Crow all over again.”

Oddly, one of Kemp’s defenses was that he turned over Georgia’s confidential voter information to Kobach so it could be used to purge voters in 29 other states, but not Georgia. Kobach’s list showed thousands of Michigan voters who’d supposedly also registered or voted in Georgia. Michigan removed tens of thousands of voters with names like “James Brown” and “Mohammed Mohammed” — almost all with mismatched middle names.

The Michigan purge of Georgia voters was key to Trump’s official victory margin of 10,700 in Michigan, putting Trump over the top in the electoral college.

While Palast says, “The evidence is overwhelming that Kemp used the Crosscheck list in some way to purge Georgians — 106,000 is not a ‘coincidence’ — I do want to find out why Kemp was using Georgia voter rolls to remove voters in other states.”

The Crosscheck list identifies over half a million Georgians — including one in seven African-Americans in the state — as having moved out of Georgia, according to an investigative report on Kemp and Kobach published by Palast in Rolling Stone in 2016.

“My job as an investigative journalist is not to change laws or affect elections, but to expose official shenanigans. I thank my lawyers Brian Spears of Atlanta and Jeanne Mirer of New York for taking this case pro bono to rip the cover off Kemp’s and the state of Georgia’s racially poisonous undermining of democracy.”

The Palast team is providing investigative reports to The Guardian’s “Fight for the Vote” series."

-------->  If you understand what Interstate Crosscheck is, and how it's being fraudulently used, recall all those hacker incursions (Russian) into State election systems.  If you altered voter roll data by adding names to a state's database from other state voter rolls, they would light up in Interstate Crosscheck and be nullified.  So what exactly did Kobach DO with the voter data from Kemp?  Who did he give it to and how did they use it?  We're only getting a glimpse of what is going on here.

Edited by triplehorn

Woah - turns out the whole program got shut down "for the foreseeable future" just 2 months ago stemming from an ACLU lawsuit:

Multistate voter database suspended in lawsuit settlement

"Dec 10, 2019  WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — A much-criticized database that checks whether voters are registered in multiple states has been suspended “for the foreseeable future” until security safeguards are put in place as part of a settlement of a federal lawsuit, a civil rights group said Tuesday.

The Interstate Crosscheck program was the subject a class-action lawsuit by the American Civil Liberties Union of Kansas on behalf of 945 voters whose partial Social Security numbers were exposed by Florida officials through an open records request.

Kansas has operated the multistate program since 2005, although the program hasn’t been used since 2017 when a Homeland Security audit discovered security vulnerabilities.

The settlement includes a list of safeguards the state has agreed to implement to protect voter’s personal information before the program can resume, the ACLU said in a news release.

cont."

-----> So this new info acquired by by Palast may blow open new holes in the system to keep it shuttered permanently.  At the very least, individual states with Dem Governors/Sec. of State that previously participated in Crosscheck should permanently withdraw from it.  I forget which battleground states have flipped to Dem control since 2018, but I believe there at least 2-3 that Trump took by reversible margins in 2016 that should bail on that rigged system.

recall this Trump/Kobach moment with Kobach's "immigration plans" accidentally being flashed:

c_9n3o5v0aeo3io_0.jpg?itok=i3dXRKnD

Edited by triplehorn

3 hours ago, triplehorn said:

I forget which battleground states have flipped to Dem control since 2018, but I believe there at least 2-3 that Trump took by reversible margins in 2016 that should bail on that rigged system.

Michigan, prominently mentioned in the story; and Kansas, which isn't politically in question but would be a nice slap in the face to Kobach, come to mind.

Useful compendium of reassuring considerations from someone with credentials to back it up:

Election 2020 FAQ

My credentials to speak on this issue: I have monitored voting and tabulation in two states, and I’ve done legal voter protection work in a third. Currently I am on the Georgia Democrats Voter Protection Committee. I drafted rules and procedures, and most recently I revised and updated the legal voter protection manual for the Georgia Democrats.