how do you fuckers consume your music?

52-80

how do you fuckers consume your music?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. how do you fuckers consume your music?

• terrestial radio
    • digital satellite
    • piracy
    • amazon music (free)
    • amazon music (paid)
    • spotify (free)
    • spotify (paid)
    • google play music (free)
    • google play music (paid)
    • itunes music
    • deezer
    • other
    • i actually buy albums and shit

just wondering what people are doing nowadays.  no shame in admitting i used to pirate, but music piracy seems pretty much dead these days. 

i liked amazon and google subscription both -- great selection and very well curated playlists/"stations".  but wanting to consolidate.  never tried spotify and maybe thats what i should go for?

Almost exclusively Apple music.  

I have a ton of CD's, but if I'm honest, they very rarely get touched.

Side note:  The loudness war has made terrestrial radio utterly unlistenable (putting aside the fact that terrestrial radio has a tiny playlist of terrible songs).  Comical application of dynamic range compressors = material that has sonic qualities of a chainsaw. 

• Like 2

Pandora and youtube for exploring new stuff.   I buy from itunes or bandcamp for the more obscure artists. If I can find a place to buy it I will use one the converters to convert youtube to mp3s.  A few torrent downloasds too.    Everything I download I put on my plex server so I can listen from anywhere I go.

Almost all of my music consumption is at home when I'm Internet connected, either from YouTube or various streaming sites like di.fm.      

There's so much free music out there, I haven't bought an album or track in years.

The one exception is paid Spotify that I use download music onto my Garmin running watch.

Terrestrial radio.

A CD collection for "classics."  I have a lot of them in mp3 form.

I use spotify some, but don't pay for it (I got a 99c three month subscription and don't think I used it more than twice in that time).  Youtube to dig up single-play songs or videos.

A lot of youtube for checking stuff out.  My truck still has a CD player and I've gotten back into buying CDs and listening to albums in the car.  It really makes me listen to the whole thing in a way that I just don't really do if I buy it on iTunes and play it in my car from my phone.

My whole CD collection (300 or so) is uploaded to Amazon, so I sometimes shuffle that and go there for the stuff that’s not on Spotify (Tool). Otherwise I’m 100% Spotify. Release Radar and Discover Weekly playlists are created for me every Monday, and then I’ll dig into some genre playlists and build some of my own.

I have a pretty substantial collection of vinyl and CDs (that I'm gradually moving over to mp3).

FM radio

I listen from Pandora fairly often.

But I spend a huge amount of time listening from YouTube at the office, or when I'm working on learning new tunes.  

Amazon digital music downloads usually for stuff I buy. For stuff I don't buy a lot of youtube. What I can't find on youtube may be from more dubious sources.

Then the bulk of my listening is MP3 on a big flash drive in the car USB port, or in a mini player out in the field while working.

The last physica albums I actually bought were a couple of LPs from a pawn shop for 25 cents a piece. I just wanted them for the covers, a Keith Moon solo and Herb Alpert classic girl in whipped cream cover.

I got tired of messing with CDs years ago after using up all my rack space and they started piling up everywhere.

Edited by DougO

Morning all- This is most definitely not  “shaming” post; but how can anyone listen to FM radio these days?

I live in the DFW-area. Other than “the Choice” or whatever it’s called, it’s my opinion that DFW radio absolutely sucks. (Where have you gone KZEW, KTXQ, KDGE, hell...KVIL??) 

Can anyone change my mind? Am I missing something? Perhaps HD radio?

I’m an old dog, but definitely open to new tricks.

All that having been said- I buy most of my music via ITunes, subscribe to SiriusXM and have been known to dabble in Amazon’s & Spotify’s free versions...

I haven’t listened to actual radio since probably 2003.

Pandora and Sirius. Also I buy songs on iTunes that our band plays or that are on my solo acoustic list so I can run them through an app called Learn That Song that can change the key to any key you want, because I/we move them around a bit.

On Pandora, I have a station seeded with American Girl as the only seed song. And often I just let it play. The range of material it comes up with based on just that one song is pretty impressive.

I can’t stand the Sirius sound quality. It’s so compressed. I’d rather make similar channels on Spotify since there are only a couple of Sirius channels I listen to anyway.

Also most of the festivals create a channel in the months leading up which is cool. I’m listing to the Exit 111 Fest channel a good bit lately.

On 8/4/2019 at 6:53 AM, Buzzrock said:

I can’t stand the Sirius sound quality. It’s so compressed. I’d rather make similar channels on Spotify since there are only a couple of Sirius channels I listen to anyway.

Also most of the festivals create a channel in the months leading up which is cool. I’m listing to the Exit 111 Fest channel a good bit lately.

Might just be me, but the Sirius sound quality seems much better streaming through the app than it ever did from the antenna. 

Many mornings I stream kexp.org while working.  

Other than that, Spotify (paid).

I paid for Apple Music recently b/c I recently got an Apple Watch and when out on walks it is kind of cool to have, but rather clunky, imo.  Still prefer Spotify by a significant margin.  If I could get spotify "to go" on the apple watch, I would cancel Apple Music.  

In other words, all streaming about all the time.   I don't commute enough to keep Sirius XM anymore.

Oh, and recently got back into soma.fm a bit as well.  Pretty good for working music.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

Probably 95% Spotify premium.

YouTube for music videos or loosies that aren't on spotify (mostly hip-hop)

Pirated if I want something in .flac or an album that isn't on spotify (rarely do this)

Vinyl if I have it on vinyl or if I need a sense of self-import. But a lot of new stuff sounds like shit on vinyl I am finding out with disappointment. Probably going to quit wasting money on anything post 2000. 

On 8/5/2019 at 2:30 PM, Deej said:

Might just be me, but the Sirius sound quality seems much better streaming through the app than it ever did from the antenna. 

It's not you.  Sirius on your car radio is 32-64k mp3 variable.  The app is up to 320k variable depending on the time of day and your connection speed.

• 2 weeks later...