LHN 1969 retrospective

idahorn

The LHN did a 50th anniversary retrospective on the '63 National Championship Season.  They also did summary shows on 2005 (National Championship) and 2008.  It is now 50 years since Street, Worster, et al., (and Steinmark) won a National Championship in 1969. I have heard nothing about a tribute in this form for the 1969 team.; but I hope one is in the works.

Did I miss something?

• 3 weeks later...

How is it the state of Arkansas is somehow worse than it was 50 years ago? Every other state in the nation has managed to improve itself somehow, except them.  How?

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

How is it the state of Arkansas is somehow worse than it was 50 years ago? Every other state in the nation has managed to improve itself somehow, except them.  How?

Uh.....not so sure the state of Texas has improved much either.

Look at our stats on things that matter like education, health care etc. 

NO CR !

I pulled the trigger a week early on rewatching My All-American. I'm glad I did. For as much as I wish to take the place of a man such as Freddie Steinmark so that I would suffer instead of them, I'm thankful that any man such as he was ever amongst us. I don't subscribe to any afterlife, but if there is one, I would like him to be the one who welcomes me. Freddie is an inspiration to anyone fortunate enough to happen across his story. I'm so very thankful to Coach Royal for offering him to play at Texas, and Freddie for accepting that offer.

31 minutes ago, jebusshuttlecock said:

Aggy was cheating in the 60s under Stallings. Politicians including LBJ got involved to press for keeping it under wraps. DKR was bitter, especially after losing in '67, and after that would leave the starters in later in the game against Stallings as his way of saying fuck you. 

Edited by Magus Ossis

The 1969 team ended up being a sore spot for me during my time at UT. 85-90.  Although UT had won an UPI championship in '70 and had legit championship worthy teams in 77, 81, and 83 as well as a #1 ranking in '84 and "shock the nation" in '90 to stay in the "relevant" discussion, the program defining days of the Royal era were gone. aggy had begun to assert itself(cheating), sometimes in embarrassing fashion on the football field. There were lopsided losses to Colorado, OU, BYU, UH, and Baylor among others. Yet, seemingly every year, as a member of the Longhorn band, there was some pregame or halftime tribute to the 1969 team that I had to endure.  The complacency was palpable.  The stadium was old and tired, the fans were old and tired, cheating was rampant, the conference was diminishing, and the economy was in the toilet. 

I grew up in Austin and the start of UT football every year was bright spot for me as welcome distraction from the start of a new school year.  As high school student my friends and I would do our school supply shopping on the drag, not only to get some much better stuff than the average student, but to also bask in the vibe of Longhorn football. It was awesome.  Once I got to UT and started getting to know the inner workings of the "show" I could tell the football program was grasping at straws and that we were has beens. 

There is no need to rehash those years in their entirety, and I have the great respect for the University and '69 team .  But damn, ever single year it was something about the '69 team. It wasn't just at games either.  There was always some alumni function or ribbon cutting ceremony or some shit that had the '69 team "connection".  It just got beat to death. I could go on about how I was one of the first GEN Xers and was at the forefront of a great change that the University had not yet recognized, but mostly I was just pissed at the total lack of administrative effort put forth. 

You also have to remember, this was just a mere 16-21 years after that championship for me.  A long time for a 18-23 year old, but in the grand scheme of things, not that long. 

Now as a 52 year old alum, I realize that even for the blue blood programs every MNC is an event worth celebrating. Nevertheless, my "spidy sense" keeps going off the closer we get to that magic 15 years since the '05 championship, as great as it was, and dare I say, better than the '69 championship.

In retrospect, I count my blessings as a fan of the program that I really should have had back then.  After all, in some alternate universe I could have been aggy and posted some bullshit about my time in the corp having to honor our university's last  MNC in 1939.

TLDR: Former disgruntled LHB member got tired of '69 team tributes, got old and realized it beats Muscle Milk commercials. Also, don't live in the past and realize there are no good old days, these are the good old days.

• Like 2

The 1969 team ended up being a sore spot for me during my time at UT. 85-90.  Although UT had won an UPI championship in '70 and had legit championship worthy teams in 77, 81, and 83 as well as a #1 ranking in '84 and "shock the nation" in '90 to stay in the "relevant" discussion, the program defining days of the Royal era were gone. aggy had begun to assert itself(cheating), sometimes in embarrassing fashion on the football field. There were lopsided losses to Colorado, OU, BYU, UH, and Baylor among others. Yet, seemingly every year, as a member of the Longhorn band, there was some pregame or halftime tribute to the 1969 team that I had to endure.  The complacency was palpable.  The stadium was old and tired, the fans were old and tired, cheating was rampant, the conference was diminishing, and the economy was in the toilet. 
I grew up in Austin and the start of UT football every year was bright spot for me as welcome distraction from the start of a new school year.  As high school student my friends and I would do our school supply shopping on the drag, not only to get some much better stuff than the average student, but to also bask in the vibe of Longhorn football. It was awesome.  Once I got to UT and started getting to know the inner workings of the "show" I could tell the football program was grasping at straws and that we were has beens. 
There is no need to rehash those years in their entirety, and I have the great respect for the University and '69 team .  But damn, ever single year it was something about the '69 team. It wasn't just at games either.  There was always some alumni function or ribbon cutting ceremony or some shit that had the '69 team "connection".  It just got beat to death. I could go on about how I was one of the first GEN Xers and was at the forefront of a great change that the University had not yet recognized, but mostly I was just pissed at the total lack of administrative effort put forth. 
You also have to remember, this was just a mere 16-21 years after that championship for me.  A long time for a 18-23 year old, but in the grand scheme of things, not that long. 
Now as a 52 year old alum, I realize that even for the blue blood programs every MNC is an event worth celebrating. Nevertheless, my "spidy sense" keeps going off the closer we get to that magic 15 years since the '05 championship, as great as it was, and dare I say, better than the '69 championship.
In retrospect, I count my blessings as a fan of the program that I really should have had back then.  After all, in some alternate universe I could have been aggy and posted some bullshit about my time in the corp having to honor our university's last  MNC in 1939.
TLDR: Former disgruntled LHB member got tired of '69 team tributes, got old and realized it beats Muscle Milk commercials. Also, don't live in the past and realize there are no good old days, these are the good old days.

This. 86-90 for me. I grew up in Dallas with this fantasy about our football team. I got there and it was a harsh reality.

On 8/21/2019 at 10:48 PM, Lobo said:

Fifty more years of inbreeding.

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

I DVR'd this but haven't had a chance to watch yet. Does anyone who has seen it have any thoughts on it?

I thought it was well done.  I really enjoyed the clip, referenced above and in other threads, of Mike Campbell belly laughing at aggy stupidity.  "They thought they were going to beat us with the wishbone. *chuckle*  It was pathetic.  They had no chance."  I also laughed at the line from the offensive lineman (Bob McKay?) about how he intentionally missed a block on Jame Street's TD run because, "I couldn't let Street throw another interception."  I would love to share a beer or five with these guys and just listen to their stories.  Room got kind of dusty when coach Royal and Bill Little were talking about Freddie Steinmark.  I says a lot about what kind of man Steinmark must have been that 50 years after the fact, anyone who knew him still tears up when talking about him.

Jiggy-Z,

I know the emphasis on ‘69 that you are referring too. As a son of a player on the ‘63 team, I understand your perspective.

I will tell you that my Dad always said that the ‘64 team was “better” than his ‘63 team, but Arkansas happened. Nobis was only a junior then and etc. 66-68 were some lean years of a decade of greatness! Dad’s teams (60-63) never lost to OU or aggy!

On 8/24/2019 at 8:50 AM, Machinator said:

I DVR'd this but haven't had a chance to watch yet. Does anyone who has seen it have any thoughts on it?

I watched it this afternoon.  I cannot begin to describe how awesome and moving it is.  Seeing DKR, Street and others interviewed about that magical season was absolutely amazing. And then Steinmark - let's just say it got dusty.

On 8/24/2019 at 5:21 PM, msucolt45 said:

Jiggy-Z,

I know the emphasis on ‘69 that you are referring too. As a son of a player on the ‘63 team, I understand your perspective.

I will tell you that my Dad always said that the ‘64 team was “better” than his ‘63 team, but Arkansas happened. Nobis was only a junior then and etc. 66-68 were some lean years of a decade of greatness! Dad’s teams (60-63) never lost to OU or aggy!

I didn't remember '64, but reading about it later was interesting.  We lost 14-13 to Arkansas when DKR went for 2 and failed.  5 years later, he went for 2 and we won 15-14.  Wonder how much he was thinking about that '64 game when he went for 2 on that first TD.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The Big Shootout: The documentary of the 1969 Texas vs Arkansas game

"The Big Shootout is a documentary chronicling the titanic 1969 game between Texas and Arkansas, considered one of the greatest games in the history of college football. It will premiere this weekend at the Dallas International Film Festival. One of the filmmakers, Mike Looney, recently spoke with Football Study Hall about this epic contest and its repercussions."

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/college-football-history/2013/4/9/4202864/the-big-shootout-the-documentary-of-the-1969-texas-vs-arkansas-game

Since Friday was 50th anniversary...

"Fifty years later, Texas-Arkansas shootout worth remembering"

By LARRY CARLSON       18 hours ago

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-football-50-year-anniversary-Big-Shootout-1969-Arkansas-Razorbacks-Darrell-Royal-Richard-Nixon-national-championship-140022675/#140022675_5

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...