Your movie/TV pet peeves

Parliament

In addition to non-existent gun safety and general lack of proper usage of course.

Not actually drinking/sipping a drink.  Just bring it up to your mouth.  Should be acting 101.

Never going to the bathroom.  This one doesn't bother me, but I know one of you is going to bring it up.

A vehicle getting destroyed (usually in a landing of some kind) and then a cut to that same vehicle miraculously "repaired."  

Chewing food forever.  ie:

Enhance enhance enhance.

People needlessly keeping secrets about vital information.

Good guy and bad guy are in a fight. Good guy gets the upper hand at some point and knocks the bad guy down/unconscious/etc. Instead of delivering the fatal blow or somehow permanently defeating the bad guy, the good guy instead decides to run and allows the bad guy to make a full recovery and the threat continues. I realize it has to happen to continue the suspense, but I'm always thinking "Kill him while you have the chance!"

Headrests and mirrors removed from cars.

Cops going to a crime scene together, but just start talking about it when they arrive.

People always sleeping on a couch. No one has spare bedrooms.

• Like 2

Crucial conversation comes to a head. One person storms off and the other person is too paralyzed to continue the conversation or pursue the one who left. "But, Harvey, why are you so mad?" "I saw you with another man." Her mouth goes agape. He storms off. She recovers but can neither yell or chase him down to say, "It was my brother."

Foot chase. The pursuer starts late but is still only 15 feet behind pursued. Every time they cut to a new location, the distance increases for no reason.

Car following. Always too close. Same with surveillance in most shows. Right across the street is a strange car with two people eating Chinese with chopsticks (another peeve, it's always chopsticks. ALWAYS!!!) and drinking coffee. Nobody puts two and two together.

Superhero fights where they spend 15 minutes throwing each other around and breaking things to no effect. I sorta hate the super hero genre anyway, but these tedious fights make them torture.

I'm going back to my bridge to throw rocks at passing luxury cars and shake my fist.

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Good guy and bad guy are in a fight. Good guy gets the upper hand at some point and knocks the bad guy down/unconscious/etc. Instead of delivering the fatal blow or somehow permanently defeating the bad guy, the good guy instead decides to run and allows the bad guy to make a full recovery and the threat continues. I realize it has to happen to continue the suspense, but I'm always thinking "Kill him while you have the chance!"

That's funny because I see it the other way.  I.E. The Stormtrooper Scenario.  Bad guys kill off multiple enemies like fish in a barrel then, when the good guys arrive, can't hit the broad side of a broad.

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Superhero fights where they spend 15 minutes throwing each other around and breaking things to no effect. I sorta hate the super hero genre anyway, but these tedious fights make them torture.

A - effing - men.  I just can't get into super hero movies for this exact reason.  I'm still pissed that I say through Wonder Woman.  She was getting her ass kicked by a few Amazons.  A week later she's kicking the ass of the Greek God, Ares?

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

A - effing - men.  I just can't get into super hero movies for this exact reason.  I'm still pissed that I say through Wonder Woman.  She was getting her ass kicked by a few Amazons.  A week later she's kicking the ass of the Greek God, Ares?

Wonder Woman was one I took a chance on and was thinking of that big fight when I posted. It was highly recommended. Gorgeous, sympathetic actress. Climatic fight. Stultifying boredom. 

I think Batman was my favorite as a kid because he was human not superhuman. Those movies have been generally good with one outstanding issue (obviously, Heath Ledger).

I so miss movies like Ronin, Thief, or even something like Taken. I prefer the human scale. There's just not much in the theaters for me these days. Animation and super heroes. Yikes.

Another peeve: The protagonist's beloved is in mortal danger across town. We spend time with him as he drives like a maniac hoping to get there in time. Call the cops, they can get there sooner or give me a reason why you can't.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That's funny because I see it the other way.  I.E. The Stormtrooper Scenario.  Bad guys kill off multiple enemies like fish in a barrel then, when the good guys arrive, can't hit the broad side of a broad.

I agree with that too, it definitely goes both ways. Life or death fights suddenly reach a point where one person has the ability to triumph, yet instead hesitates, gloats, runs, does basically anything except finishing off their opponent like they should.

12 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

There's just not much in the theaters for me these days. Animation and super heroes. Yikes.

So much this. If they're only gonna produce blockbuster sequels, at least give me some Bond, Bourne, or Mission Impossible. I find little entertainment value in endless Marvel and Star Wars movies.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

So much this. If they're only gonna produce blockbuster sequels, at least give me some Bond, Bourne, or Mission Impossible. I find little entertainment value in endless Marvel and Star Wars movies.

I still love the Star Wars franchise, but lately I've noticed that I get far more excited by the anticipation than the actual movie.  I think I like the trailers more than the movies.

14 minutes ago, LarryTT said:

Along with all of the above, just hanging up after a phone call.. no I'm done, cya, g'bye

Or phone calls that are way two short for the conversation that supposedly happened.

Also, I'm a stickler for historical accuracy with regards to firearms, but that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to hollywood and guns.

35 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I so miss movies like Ronin, Thief, or even something like Taken. I prefer the human scale. There's just not much in the theaters for me these days. Animation and super heroes. Yikes.

Yes, I miss the relatable, realism of movies like Taken where a 65 year old guy takes down an entire armed mafia half way across the globe.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

In addition to non-existent gun safety and general lack of proper usage of course.

Not actually drinking/sipping a drink.  Just bring it up to your mouth.  Should be acting 101.

Never going to the bathroom.  This one doesn't bother me, but I know one of you is going to bring it up.

A vehicle getting destroyed (usually in a landing of some kind) and then a cut to that same vehicle miraculously "repaired."  

Chewing food forever.  ie:

No seatbelts and surviving car crashes...

i'm that guy who never goes to the movies. couldn't tell you the last movie i saw in theaters. maybe horrible bosses. the reason for that is my "pet peeve" if you want to call it that- the typically dumbed-down, beat-you-over-the-head-with-what's-happening dialogue/script that's in damn near everything i see.

latest example: i saw an ad on TV last night for a movie, and i'm pretty sure it was jada pinkett smith who essentially screamed the line, "You are being charged with the attempted murder of the president of the United States!" That is so goddamn theatrical and overt it's stupid. I don't need you to explain to me what's happening, and i don't want or need the characters in your film to speak and behave like characters in a film. how about they act like real people? ever think of that? 

oh yeah this one kills me as someone who's been on meds and in therapy his entire life- when a writer/director/whoever is in charge doesn't know the fucking difference in a psychiatrist and a therapist. pretty much every time i see them shooting for "therapist" they go a with a psychiatrist. you don't sit around a shrink's office for an hour talking about your life- that's a therapist. how the fuck does hollywood not know this by now?

i also wish hollywood would spend some time reviewing footage of normal people who've actually been shot in real life. i've seen enough videos of people being shot- one time in the leg, multiple times all over, you name it- and it's generally pretty fucking debilitating, people generally freak the fuck out, and they often bleed like a sieve. not in the movies. you can get shot to bits and still have the most minimal reaction/continue running/chasing/jumping/pursuing/etc. all with one or two splotches of blood right where you got shot. dumb. 

which reminds me- bad makeup. just awful, and inexplicable. someone goes through the most intense shit ever, batters, bruised, shot, thrown through plate glass, you name it, and they have a few perfect little splotches of red paint on them. gtfo.

Edited by Goo Punch

33 minutes ago, former alkie said:

Talking with mouth full of food.......chewing food with mouth open / smacking.......slurping food/beverage.......scraping utensils on teeth.......eating with fork times pointing down

well yeah, nobody likes it when people do those things, but i don't think that qualifies here. 

4 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I agree with that too, it definitely goes both ways. Life or death fights suddenly reach a point where one person has the ability to triumph, yet instead hesitates, gloats, runs, does basically anything except finishing off their opponent like they should.

"And what does he do?" 

"Starts Monologuing." 

"He STARTS MONOLOGUING! About how I'm doomed and the world WILL SOON BE HIS!"

later

"You sly dog you caught me monologuing!"

I really like the Incredibles. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Not exactly a pet peeve, but I always chuckle when the actor pretends to be playing a video game.  The constant button mashing makes me wonder what the hell game they are playing. 

Track and Field?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Absolute pitiful continuity when using countdown clocks.

I love the James Bond franchise but the older movies especially were the absolute worst offenders and it drove me nuts every time. Is it so hard to make that part of a movie believable?

Always hilarious in Moonraker when the shuttle is 10 seconds from launch when Bond is entering the capsule yet he manages to fully strap himself him and relax in basically 7 seconds.

Or in Goldfinger, the bomb timer is quickly running down yet somehow Felix works his way down 3-4 flights of stairs, fidgets, and scrambles across the vault floor in what seems to amount to roughly 4 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ripped actors playing characters who should not be in good shape.  Like some busy dad with a hectic schedule who looks like he spends 2 hours in the gym 6 days a week.

When someone gets up and walks out of a restaurant in the middle of a meal.  How often does that actually happen?

The “hallucination device” - a character sees someone or something that isn’t really there. Usually someone close to the character who died tragically. This pretty much never happens to any sane, sober person ever. 

Movie crazy. Man or woman in a mental hospital, swaying back and forth in a rocking chair with  frayed, greying hair, eyes wide and frozen in a thousand yard stare, muttering gibberish under his or her breath. In a group setting, there’s always someone yelling.

• Like 2

Character walks in house, never shuts the door

Cop sees line of powder, dips his finger in said powder, tastes it and says, “yep, pure cocaine.”

Ever see the bottom of an actors foot in a tv show or movie? It’s black, because they’ve been barefoot on a disgusting sound stage.

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

i also wish hollywood would spend some time reviewing footage of normal people who've actually been shot in real life. i've seen enough videos of people being shot- one time in the leg, multiple times all over, you name it- and it's generally pretty fucking debilitating, people generally freak the fuck out, and they often bleed like a sieve.

in the movie grand canyon, steve martin gets robbed on the street by a guy who's speaking with an accent and he can't understand.  he thinks he wants the keys to the ferrari, but he really just wanted the rolex, and he shoots him in the thigh before walking off.

martin falls to the ground, starts foaming at the mouth, basically looks like he's having a seizure, while he pisses himself.  

the fact that your pet peeve happens so often makes me really appreciate this scene (i mean, it's fucking kasdan, so yeah).  i don't know how accurate it really is, but sure seems close.

11 hours ago, seven said:

When conversations continue seamlessly in 5 second cuts from the coffee shop to the street to church to the grocery store and then finish up at home. 

i notice this shit all the time, and it drives me nuts.  some revelation happens at dinner, then it cuts to the couple parking their car back at home, and when they get out, one of them is like, "i can't believe he flunked out of college."

um, that was the bombshell dropped at dinner, and you're trying to tell me that the rest of the meal, then the check, then walking to the car, then driving home, neither person mentioned it, then you get out of the car and continue the conversation like it's nothing?

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Movie crazy. Man or woman in a mental hospital, swaying back and forth in a rocking chair with  frayed, greying hair, eyes wide and frozen in a thousand yard stare, muttering gibberish under his or her breath. In a group setting, there’s always someone yelling.

dude i've been in so many mental facilities so many times, both in-patient and outpatient, and that shit drives me crazy. i've seen a lot of stuff, and none of it resembles that goofy shit they donin every single tv show/movie. here's samples of the type of shit you actually see:

(in spoilers so as not to derail the thread)

•one time in shoal creek i had a roommate (dude in his 50's) who silently paced the hall every day

•I had a kid sleeping like three fucking feet from me who, at like 2 am, shot straight up in bed and just screaaaammmmeeedddd bloody murder, like he was being eaten by by a grizzly bear, and then he just shot back down and it was back to lights out. startled the fucking life out of me. after three nights in a row i asked and was allowed to change rooms.

•I had a guy offer me a crack rock while we were waiting in line for an admissions piss test. i was 14, he was like 17 or 18, and he actually had the crack rocks in his hand 

•just in general you'll see people with anxiety, ptsd, or rage every now and then, but not a bunch of drooling zombies roaming the balls in robes or hospital gowns 

•oh- I went to a place in Houston that fucked me up real bad in just one day (left me with pretty severe/noticeable muscle spasms in my right arm for about 9 months). they made me take meds i'd previously had bad side effects on. all of the patients there (the Meninger Clinic) were totally fucked off and probably worse than when they came in (and this was by far the nicest, most expensive place i've ever been to). i got myself out of there in less than 48 hours, and as i was leaving i had a fellow patient who i'd spent maybe 30 minutes with the whole time (he and i played a game of HORSE the night i was admitted) come up to me, put his arms on both my shoulders, look me deeply in the eyes, and say, "I love you" totally earnestly. caught me so off guard i've never forgotten it. that place was baaaad as far as all the patients being Looney Tunes goes, but nothing like what you see on TV.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

well yeah, nobody likes it when people do those things, but i don't think that qualifies here. 

Point well taken

My only defense is........I see and or hear all of these same pet peeves, on TV shows / movies.......as I do in the real world  :)

But again, I get your point 

13 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Crucial conversation comes to a head. One person storms off and the other person is too paralyzed to continue the conversation or pursue the one who left. "But, Harvey, why are you so mad?" "I saw you with another man." Her mouth goes agape. He storms off. She recovers but can neither yell or chase him down to say, "It was my brother."

Foot chase. The pursuer starts late but is still only 15 feet behind pursued. Every time they cut to a new location, the distance increases for no reason.

Car following. Always too close. Same with surveillance in most shows. Right across the street is a strange car with two people eating Chinese with chopsticks (another peeve, it's always chopsticks. ALWAYS!!!) and drinking coffee. Nobody puts two and two together.

I'm going back to my bridge to throw rocks at passing luxury cars and shake my fist.

when this started happening in man of steel, i realized i would never be able to watch dc movies ever again.

#noragrets

22 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

So much this.