Your movie/TV pet peeves

Parliament

This drives me crazy.  When the main character (who is often an hourly jack) comes in to work in the morning, and the whole effing office is a buzz of activity.  Like the whole office has been there since 4 am working away and shit is getting done, but we're lead to believe the character is just getting to work, coffee in hand etc...they walk in to the office and there is a couple people milling around having a side meeting, copiers copying, phones ringing... the character strolls in like they own the place, but really they're basically just another guy.

• Like 1

Man I hope somebody is f’in with me. 

Last Knghts is a bad movie on Netflix and is medieval drama. Has Clive Owen and Morgan freeman. 

2nd or 3rd scene Owens character goes home and wife is cutting veggies and putting them in a STAINLESS STEEL bowl. 

That has to be a set designer that is having a good time seeing if anybody notices. 

2 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Last Knghts is a bad movie on Netflix and is medieval drama. Has Clive Owen and Morgan freeman. 

2nd or 3rd scene Owens character goes home and wife is cutting veggies and putting them in a STAINLESS STEEL bowl. 

That has to be a set designer that is having a good time seeing if anybody notices. 

When I see him, I'll be sure to tell him that Shaddie noticed. Shaddie noticed, god damnit.

9 hours ago, Shaddie said:

how the fuck did they miss that historical inaccuracy?  only the nobility could afford own 18/10 stainless steel back then!!!

Dude gets surprisingly kissed for 2-3 seconds, spouse/girlfriends witnesses him kissing another woman and makes a scene or huffs off.

Not sure if mentioned, but siblings that look nothing alike. Like being the same race and a human is sufficient for casting directors.

On 8/5/2019 at 3:59 PM, wild_turkey said:

When people are driving a car, they constantly move the steering wheel back and forth with their hands in little rocking motions. No one actually drives by wiggling the steering wheel nonstop. Not sure why they do this in the movies.

Chase scenes where they do fake manual gear change sounds to let you know they are driving really fast. If you're topped out in 4th there is no 5th, 6th, ect. I'm looking at you Bullitt.

Chase scenes where they do fake manual gear change sounds to let you know they are driving really fast. If you're topped out in 4th there is no 5th, 6th, ect. I'm looking at you Bullitt.
And rims flying off multiple times. I'm looking at you Bullitt.

Cars/pickups making huge jumps and landings that clearly destroy its front end. Then a cut to the car totally undamaged.

On 8/5/2019 at 3:59 PM, wild_turkey said:

When people are driving a car, they constantly move the steering wheel back and forth with their hands in little rocking motions. No one actually drives by wiggling the steering wheel nonstop. Not sure why they do this in the movies.

I take it you never drove a 70's era Ford truck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This was mine...was disappointed it took that long to mention. Fucking drives me nuts. See it in 99% of driving scenes. Pretty sure even Pitt was doing it in Once Upon...maybe that old of car needs it idk but still.....

Rageeeeeeee

• 4 weeks later...

When a driver is slightly compromised, or even distracted, the car keeps swerving down the road at highway speeds, as if brakes dont exist.

Like.  Oh this kidnapping victim is trying to fight me for the steering wheel, let me keep my feet on the accelerator.  Hell, i wont even let off.  Lets keep barrelling down the road at 90mph until the car crashes.

• Hook 'Em 1

when someone boards a flight in say, LA, bound for London and the plane they show landing in London is some vintage 727.....right, a 727 operates between LAX and LHR

Or its suppose to be a flight into some mid size city and they use stock footage of a 747 landing....give me a freekin' break.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 10:29 PM, wild_turkey said:

Someone drowns or otherwise receives a death blow. People try to resuscitate them and finally give up. After a dramatic pause, the dead person coughs up water (or a big gasp of air), sits up quickly and gasps a few more times, then they are fine as if they were just napping and nothing happened.

In most cases, the victim actually thinks they are in a dream and starts french kissing the person giving mouth to mouth.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 9/19/2020 at 8:53 PM, Parliament said:

Character A gives Character B a briefcase and says, "Here is your 1.2 million dollars." Character B takes the briefcase and leaves, with no bother of counting it. Hey Man, that guy is an international gangster. Not real honest. Might wanna count your payment there.

Also, that much cash weighs far more than people realize.  I've never gotten that much cash, but I've delivered large amounts and you can't just juggle around all willy-nilly style several hundred thousand dollars.  It has a substantial heft to it that evades the average citizen particularly in certain foreign currencies.  

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Also, that much cash weighs far more than people realize.  I've never gotten that much cash, but I've delivered large amounts and you can't just juggle around all willy-nilly style several hundred thousand dollars.  It has a substantial heft to it that evades the average citizen particularly in certain foreign currencies.  

season 5 money GIF

Spy movies where the CIA can within seconds and few key punches hack into any closed circuit tv camera in the world, shut down any power grid in the world (or just the power to a single building), or listen in on any cell phone in the world.

Looking at you, evil CIA guys and gals in Jason Bourne movies.

Or how a guy who's on the run and being looked for by every spy agency in the world can enter the country, and buy a cell phone and a military grade sniper rifle with no problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 years later...
On 8/9/2019 at 3:02 PM, RPM said:

The looping of the chase scene where we see that same fucking VW over and over seemed to bother me more.

I hate the 'Kung Fu rule' in group fights.  One hero good guy takes on a whole gang of bad guys, and they only attack one at a time?  All of the other bad guys dance around in a circle like video game characters waiting to be selected.  Some movies get it right, but other movies it's just like, 'ok, and you're next.  No, not you yet - that other guy first, then you.'

2 hours ago, TexLonghorn said:

I hate the 'Kung Fu rule' in group fights.  One hero good guy takes on a whole gang of bad guys, and they only attack one at a time?  All of the other bad guys dance around in a circle like video game characters waiting to be selected.  Some movies get it right, but other movies it's just like, 'ok, and you're next.  No, not you yet - that other guy first, then you.'

I remember thinking "this isn't how they do it in the movies" the first time I was jumped by multiple guys. Lesson learned, don't fight fair.

Spy movies where the CIA can within seconds and few key punches hack into any closed circuit tv camera in the world, shut down any power grid in the world (or just the power to a single building), or listen in on any cell phone in the world.

Looking at you, evil CIA guys and gals in Jason Bourne movies.

Or how a guy who's on the run and being looked for by every spy agency in the world can enter the country, and buy a cell phone and a military grade sniper rifle with no problem.

Ironic coming from High Plains Drifter which I saw last night. Lot of disbelief in that movie.

Regarding hacking and spywork, its all about prepwork. They have long ago hacked into systems and stashed weapons.

SIAP but when a "warrior" draws a sword from a leather scabbard, or even a good sized knife from a leather sheath, and the multichannel audio comes alive with a reverberating metal on metal ZZZZ-I-I-I-I-ING-ing-ing" sound. Stuff and nonsense. Bull. Fucking. Shit.

We see the damned blade. That's enough. We get it. Sincere apology to the visually challenged. 

13 hours ago, TexLonghorn said:

That is why the Austin Powers fight scenes were humorous; they got a lot of play out of things like what you're talking about.

----

The little details like ironing or sometimes cooking/baking where it is apparent the actor is not familiar with how it's done. That's usually younger actors that haven't perhaps picked up the skills yet because they've been...working on their acting. I don't know why it bothers me, it's not the point of the scene, but it jars the senses nonetheless.

On 9/23/2020 at 9:50 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

Spy movies where the CIA can within seconds and few key punches hack into any closed circuit tv camera in the world, shut down any power grid…

I was thinking Jason Bourne before you got this far.  

i would also say that in the Bourne movies, everywhere he goes in the world he seems to know that city like the back of his hand. I’ve live in same place for 20 years and still have to use the GPS sometimes. 

Edited by Lhorn

Watched Alien Vs Predator recently and  the young lady lead character and a male character are both running for their lives from both Aliens and Predators.  The male character at one point says “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” and 5 minutes later that male character is dead and the young lady has joined forces with a Predator to fight the Aliens.  That the Predator would join forces with the lady who was a mountain climber by trade (no training in fighting) is a plot point so unbelievable that a third party character has to say “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” to explain to the audience why it was happening.  Ham fisted  

I was thinking Jason Bourne before you got this far.  
i would also say that in the Bourne movies, everywhere he goes in the world he seems to know that city like the back of his hand. I’ve live in same place for 20 years and still have to use the GPS sometimes. 

Well that’s a core part of Treadstone, the ability to focus, absorb, process info. They even show him reading maps quickly and while driving in a high speed chase.

I was watching Superman II last night and something occurred to me that I had not paid attention to before. Superman takes Lois to the fortress if solitude to show her his super sperms. He does the whole crystal closet thing to take his powers away. Afterwards, they are seen driving and end up at the diner where Clark gets his ass kicked. He realizes he made a mistake and needs to get his powers back. There is a montage of his arduous journey back to the the fortress. How did a powerless Superman and crazy Margot make it to the diner without breaking a sweat yet the return journey for Superman was on foot through a blizzard? Shit doesn’t make sense.

• Like 1

I was watching Superman II last night and something occurred to me that I had not paid attention to before. Superman takes Lois to the fortress if solitude to show her his super sperms. He does the whole crystal closet thing to take his powers away. Afterwards, they are seen driving and end up at the diner where Clark gets his ass kicked. He realizes he made a mistake and needs to get his powers back. There is a montage of his arduous journey back to the the fortress. How did a powerless Superman and crazy Margot make it to the diner without breaking a sweat yet the return journey for Superman was on foot through a blizzard? Shit doesn’t make sense.

Presumably she drove back to Metropolis in the car they were in, but she probably could have given him a ride.

Wait where is the fortress of solitude? Upstate NY? Guess they could have driven down from Canada.