Moral Monday at the borderlands -- El Paso right now

Brisketexan

Your wife is a badass.

I’d love to meet her one day.

I know your fatalistic schtick on here is exaggerated a bit but grounded in truth but you can’t think we’re completely, irredeemably fucked being married to the kind of woman you are.

Godspeed to her and her compatriots today.

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

Your wife is a badass.

I’d love to meet her one day.

I know your fatalistic schtick on here is exaggerated a bit but grounded in truth but you can’t think we’re completely, irredeemably fucked being married to the kind of woman you are.

Godspeed to her and her compatriots today.

The thing is, I actually do think that, by and large.  It makes for some interesting dinner table conversation/argument.  The kids get in on it too -- just yesterday, my daughter was lecturing me on how she doesn't buy that man is totally and irredeemably depraved.  I told her that I disagreed, but I'm glad she thinks that way.  In any case, the good thing is that we all end up at the same place -- they believe it's for a cause that can win, I believe it's for a lost cause, but in either case.....we all believe in fighting and not quitting.

But, yeah.... the wife is about 1,000X better a human being than I am.  Which I'm sure shocks nobody.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

just yesterday, my daughter was lecturing me on how she doesn't buy that man is totally and irredeemably depraved.  I told her that I disagreed, but I'm glad she thinks that way.  In any case, the good thing is that we all end up at the same place -- they believe it's for a cause that can win, I believe it's for a lost cause, but in either case.....we all believe in fighting and not quitting.

You know, at some point you're just making the record for history.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The thing is, I actually do think that, by and large.  It makes for some interesting dinner table conversation/argument.  The kids get in on it too -- just yesterday, my daughter was lecturing me on how she doesn't buy that man is totally and irredeemably depraved.  I told her that I disagreed, but I'm glad she thinks that way.  In any case, the good thing is that we all end up at the same place -- they believe it's for a cause that can win, I believe it's for a lost cause, but in either case.....we all believe in fighting and not quitting.

But, yeah.... the wife is about 1,000X better a human being than I am.  Which I'm sure shocks nobody.

You need to show her this site. 

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 1

So, things have wrapped up.  I'm not sure on the details, but there were some things communicated to the leadership of the protest that caused them concern -- they told the folks who had put on armbands (indicating that they were willing to be arrested) to take them off, and everyone needed to stay together.

When they arrived at the facility near the airport, they were greeted with signage indicating that they were deemed an "elevated" threat:

57d7b0dd1d50ee63b131dbe0b4457db0.jpg

4bc16d1cdb407757bd1282991a4398eb.jpg

Nothing scarier than a bunch of clerics getting together to pray and minister to the people -- all people.

Here's a piece on what went on:

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/29/it-doesnt-have-be-way-faith-leaders-rally-detention-center-demanding-end-inhumane

william_barber.jpg?itok=Fq7JjhYB

The call was simple:

"We condemn and call evil and unjust the caging of people, the making people drink from toilets, the refusal to even give them a toothbrush," the group continued. "You're holding angels in this place. But you will not hold them forever. We join them now, and not only do we bring condemnation, but we bring hope. It doesn't have to be this way. America, turn around. America, repent. America, stop. America, change your ways."

You know I'm not big on hope.  Like, at all.

But if there is any, folks like this carry it and protect it.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

Why did her group exclude us regular agnostic assholes? Not that i would have gone but it would have been nice to be invited.

There were people there as a matter of conscience only -- you didn't have to be a faith leader to attend.  But it was important to show that faith leaders were the heart of this movement, and were on the forefront speaking to an alternate theology than one we hear from the dominant voices aligned with our government.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

There were people there as a matter of conscience only -- you didn't have to be a faith leader to attend.  But it was important to show that faith leaders were the heart of this movement, and were on the forefront speaking to an alternate theology than one we hear from the dominant voices aligned with our government.

not every statement warrants a response.  I understood as much, but was just being a doofus on the board.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Your daughter is right. You should listen to her. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, things have wrapped up.  I'm not sure on the details, but there were some things communicated to the leadership of the protest that caused them concern -- they told the folks who had put on armbands (indicating that they were willing to be arrested) to take them off, and everyone needed to stay together.

When they arrived at the facility near the airport, they were greeted with signage indicating that they were deemed an "elevated" threat:

Nothing scarier than a bunch of clerics getting together to pray and minister to the people -- all people.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/29/it-doesnt-have-be-way-faith-leaders-rally-detention-center-demanding-end-inhumane

The call was simple:

FYI. The “elevated” threat sign is actually the NTSA rating created after 911. While on paper elevated yellow is the medium level, it actually has never been below that rating.  The sign is basically saying we are at the lowest risk of a terroristic possible.  

I’m actually surprised you haven’t seen it before, it’s posted around most secured faculties across the United States.

Edited by Xian

13 hours ago, Xian said:

FYI. The “elevated” threat sign is actually the NTSA rating created after 911. While on paper elevated yellow is the medium level, it actually has never been below that rating.  The sign is basically saying we are at the lowest risk of a terroristic possible.  

I’m actually surprised you haven’t seen it before, it’s posted around most secured faculties across the United States.

Of that, I was actually unaware.  I do go in and out of federal facilities with some frequency, but they're the kind of places that have a portrait of the president in the lobby, not the kind of places that posts the terror threat level (although I have never understood the insane amount of security you have to go through to get into an EPA building).  I mean, nevermind that the whole terror threat level thing is absurd.  We're supposed to be on high alert when the level goes to magenta, or puce, or something like that, right?

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Of that, I was actually unaware.  I do go in and out of federal facilities with some frequency, but they're the kind of places that have a portrait of the president in the lobby, not the kind of places that posts the terror threat level (although I have never understood the insane amount of security you have to go through to get into an EPA building).  I mean, nevermind that the whole terror threat level thing is absurd.  We're supposed to be on high alert when the level goes to magenta, or puce, or something like that, right?

It’s all very stupid.  Just something the government did years ago so they could pat themselves on the back.   You also see them when entering a good number of industrial facilities. 

23 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The call was simple:

Bishop Pearson from a church I attend sometimes is shown here. Looks like I chose the right place to attend to the extent I still sometimes go to church.