Non-Texas Recruiting 2021

TCU's first 2021 recruit is . . . a QB from Germany. 

The kid is a physical freak:

At nearly 6'6" and 235 pounds, Honig possesses NFL size as a 17-year-old. And the part that has coaches and scouts really interested in the 2021 prospect is what he can do with it.

Honig's 38-inch vertical is better than any quarterback has posted at the NFL combine since Robert Griffin III in 2012, per Pro Football Reference. His 123-inch broad jump would tie for fifth among QBs at the combine in that same time frame. And he complements his hops with a 40-yard dash in the 4.7s and has hands that have been measured at 11 inches—a measurement B/R draft expert Matt Miller says is the largest he's ever heard of.

"He's enormous, strong and athletic," says Barton Simmons, director of scouting for 247Sports. "He has very unique physical traits and a cannon for an arm."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2844066-if-you-were-to-build-a-quarterback-this-is-what-it-would-look-like

8 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Honest question: who was the last overseas prospect to succeed on a high level as a D1 QB? Somehow my gestalt impression is that is unlikely to work out, no matter how physically freaky he is.*

*until he transfers to OU for his last year of eligibility

Uh, have you even heard of Tua Tagolvailoa? 

Now, Alabama had to get a translator to help with the playbook, but seems like it worked out PRETTY WELL for them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

Uh, have you even heard of Tua Tagolvailoa? 

Now, Alabama had to get a translator to help with the playbook, but seems like it worked out PRETTY WELL for them.

Sorry, I thought he was born and brought up in the US (Hawaii). I was using "overseas" to refer to foreign countries.

Just now, Magus Ossis said:

Sorry, I thought he was born and brought up in the US (Hawaii). I was using "overseas" to refer to foreign countries.

He's referring to an idiot Alabama fan:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/alabama-fan-concerned-language-barrier-hawaiian-qb-article-1.3493395

The poster later admitted he was actually that dumb and apologized.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Magus Ossis said:

Honest question: who was the last overseas prospect to succeed on a high level as a D1 QB? Somehow my gestalt impression is that is unlikely to work out, no matter how physically freaky he is.*

*until he transfers to OU for his last year of eligibility

Gotta be a Samoan who did that.  I just don't know which one. 

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

https://247sports.com/player/alexander-honig-46042395/

"has hands that have been measured at 11 inches—a measurement B/R draft expert Matt Miller says is the largest he's ever heard of."

giphy.gif

Foo Fighters - Everlong

Edited by HoustonHorn

On 7/29/2019 at 5:48 PM, angelos's frog said:

Gotta be a Samoan who did that.  I just don't know which one. 

OT but who are you hearing will win the starting QB job for TCU this year? Seems totally up in the air as to who starts game 1, but I’d bet Duggan will be the starter by the end of the season.

14 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

OT but who are you hearing will win the starting QB job for TCU this year? Seems totally up in the air as to who starts game 1, but I’d bet Duggan will be the starter by the end of the season.

The word on the 247 site is that Delton was the front runner after the spring but that Duggan is coming on strong.  However, you've got to remember that Collins was out in the spring due to his lis franc fracture from the Baylor game.  He just got cleared for full activities early this summer.  I'm in the minority but I like his chances better than Delton.  Collins was lights out when he came in against OU until he cut his throwing hand in a freak accident on the sidelines.  I think we scored on 4 of his first 5 drives and he had two long TD passes and another 50 yard bomb that put us in FG position.  Those drives were the best quarterbacking we had the entire season.  While he had some pretty mediocre games later on, I think that his ability to go vertical and avoid turnovers at the same time fit what we need in the offense.  Give the guy a better O-line and a sold running game and I think he can do some damage. 

Duggan might still be the future but I would put money on GP going with the more experienced and safer option over a true freshman given the potential of this team.  We've got 3 senior starters on the O-line and 5-6 guys with significant starting experience there, two good senior RB's, one more year of Reagor before he goes pro (probably the same for Blacklock), and a stacked defense.   I have a hard time believing someone as conservative as GP is going to give a true freshman the keys to the car over a 4th year junior when he has a team that could contend for a conference title.  I know people are marking TCU down as a 7-5 or 8-4 team this season but really think that 9-3 or 10-2 is more likely because I think the defense will be that good and because GP's teams always bounce back for double digit wins after a bad season. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
48 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Not great for us. UF often poaches a decent Texas kid or two a year anyway, and Mullen is the king of the scumbag recruiters.

I'm thinking/hoping that Miami and FSU will be weak enough recruiters that Florida will mostly fill up with in-state kids. Once Brewster focuses on a recruit and gets in on him early enough, he has a high hit rate.