Non-Texas Recruiting 2021

7 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

247 took him from unranked to #35 in Texas and a 4*. I'm not sure where that came from being a small school player with a weak offer list.

Barton loves him

Scouting Report

EVALUATED 05/12/2020

Barton Simmons
Barton SimmonsDIRECTOR OF SCOUTING

PROJECTION

4-7 RoundDAY 3

COMPARISON

Will HernandezNEW YORK GIANTS

Athletic-framed offensive lineman with broad chest, long arms, big hands and a lot of growth potential. Multi-sport athlete who has engrained movement skills, balance and coordination that shows up in pads. Good initial burst. Plays with natural pad level. Works to the second level with good angles to hit his landmarks. Delivers second level blocks while keeping his feet. Very natural footwork and agility. Plays really poor competition. Never shows a traditional pass set. Hard to gauge power because of body types he's blocking but shot put and discus throws indicate good power baseline. Will be raw initially in college but does show the tools to develop quickly. Extremely high upside prospect with the body type and traits to be a mid to late round NFL Draft pick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

247 took him from unranked to #35 in Texas and a 4*. I'm not sure where that came from being a small school player with a weak offer list.

Holy shit. 35 in the state? ahhh, eval by none other than Barton Simmons... got a 5 for his pass blocking grade. Their QB had 85 attempts. On the season. they don't throw. This is ... an interesting development. 

Screen-Shot-2020-05-20-at-12-36-20-PM.pn

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yikes

Oregon signee Luke Hill arrested on eight different charges, including attempted murder in the first degree:

https://247sports.com/Article/Oregon-Ducks-football-Luke-Hill-arrested-on-eight-different-charges-147338890/

So we'll see him in Dallas @ the cotton bowl in a few years?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Holy shit. 35 in the state? ahhh, eval by none other than Barton Simmons... got a 5 for his pass blocking grade. Their QB had 85 attempts. On the season. they don't throw. This is ... an interesting development. 

Screen-Shot-2020-05-20-at-12-36-20-PM.pn

247/Barton seem to rank one Small school Texas OL unusually high every year compared to other sites and his offer list, and the guy usually doesn’t pan out. I haven’t looked into this recruit at all so I don’t have an opinion on him, but I won’t be surprised if this is the guy they do it with this year. 

On 5/20/2020 at 6:27 PM, VABuckeye said:

Crystal balls rolling in for J.T. Tuimoloau to Ohio State. 

I’m a Texas fan and grad but I live in Seattle now. So I’ve adopted UW as my second squad and I’m really hoping UW is able to keep these 5 stars in state. Washington (the state) has three top 25 national recruits and it’s looking like UW may snare only one of them. It’s a rare year and opportunity for UW to have 3 five stars in its back yard. At least we’re keeping the five star QB but I don’t understand why Jimmy Lake, a defensive young new coach, can’t keep JT from the buckeyes. 

5 hours ago, CDAK said:

I’m a Texas fan and grad but I live in Seattle now. So I’ve adopted UW as my second squad and I’m really hoping UW is able to keep these 5 stars in state. Washington (the state) has three top 25 national recruits and it’s looking like UW may snare only one of them. It’s a rare year and opportunity for UW to have 3 five stars in its back yard. At least we’re keeping the five star QB but I don’t understand why Jimmy Lake, a defensive young new coach, can’t keep JT from the buckeyes. 

I listened to the 247 recruiting pod yesterday with Blair Angulo.. his guest was a mod that put a cb for that kid to tosu.  he had a confidence level at one for that cb FWIW

6 hours ago, CDAK said:

Probably the same reason Texas, or anyone not named Clemson and Alabama, can currently keep a kid from the Buckeyes. Recent winning history in the playoffs and churning kids into the NFL. 

49 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Probably the same reason Texas, or anyone not named Clemson and Alabama, can currently keep a kid from the Buckeyes. Recent winning history in the playoffs and churning kids into the NFL. 

Having Larry Johnson, Sr. with his track record as a defensive line coach helps a lot.  It's the same with Brian Hartline and the receivers.  He's quickly proving that he is an elite receivers coach and recruiter.

12 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Kerry Coombs doesn't hurt, either.

Coombs is amazing.  His energy level is off the charts and yeah, the kids really connect with him.  He also has a phenomenal track record of developing players.

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Having Larry Johnson, Sr. with his track record as a defensive line coach helps a lot.  It's the same with Brian Hartline and the receivers.  He's quickly proving that he is an elite receivers coach and recruiter.

Hartline has been the coach for what, 2 years. His track record is inheriting studs that he didn't recruit...does he seem like he's good? sure but calm down with the track record. Money bags, not having to worry about grades, media and the fanatics of ohio on top of nfl draft picks sure do help. I can't help but laugh when ohio fans talk about how awesome that piece of shit state is. 

tosu is just like ou,  props for being committed to winning at all costs. Likely helps domestic abuse and the suicide rate, ppl are that fanatical.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Hartline has been the coach for what, 2 years. His track record is inheriting studs that he didn't recruit...does he seem like he's good? sure but calm down with the track record. Money bags, not having to worry about grades, media and the fanatics of ohio on top of nfl draft picks sure do help. I can't help but laugh when ohio fans talk about how awesome that piece of shit state is. 

tosu is just like ou,  props for being committed to winning at all costs. Likely helps domestic abuse and the suicide rate, ppl are that fanatical.

I dunno man, Hartline signed pretty much the perfect WR class last year and is on pace to do it again this year. The Clemson board thinks bags are involved, but that's their default stance any time OSU or UGA beat Clemson for a recruit. 

I’m getting sick of missing on the extra 2-3 elite players we should be closing if our program was where it should be: Waddle, Browning, Dobbins, etc.

Robinson was a great get but we really need to be getting 2-3 more elites every year to really be in the discussion as a top five program. I’m tired of waiting. We damn well better take the next step this year, if the season is played. I’m losing my enthusiasm.

22 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I dunno man, Hartline signed pretty much the perfect WR class last year and is on pace to do it again this year. The Clemson board thinks bags are involved, but that's their default stance any time OSU or UGA beat Clemson for a recruit. 

Never even offering Jaxson Smith-Njigba is still absolutely ridiculous. Should have been all over him from day 1

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m getting sick of missing on the extra 2-3 elite players we should be closing if our program was where it should be: Waddle, Browning, Dobbins, etc.

Robinson was a great get but we really need to be getting 2-3 more elites every year to really be in the discussion as a top five program. I’m tired of waiting. We damn well better take the next step this year, if the season is played. I’m losing my enthusiasm.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Yeah man. That’s literally an extra 8-10 NFL players on your roster. That’s literally the handicap of our programs.

On 5/22/2020 at 11:11 AM, RGBIII said:

Never even offering Jaxson Smith-Njigba is still absolutely ridiculous. Should have been all over him from day 1

The JSN recruitment was one of the more frustrating ones ever. We basically passed on him multiple times. 

3 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

You all should be negged because your coaches are bitches.  They should have recruited JSN.   They didn't.

Such a dumbass post, you are just like the buck herd that actually lives in ohio and spends all day whispering oh.io. You might be worse if you actually live in VA and not OH, I hope you one day realize that no one gives a shit and your community says all this shit behind your back. At least if you lived here, we would tell you to your face. 

22 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

You all should be negged because your coaches are bitches.  They should have recruited JSN.   They didn't.

Correct. No fucking surprise there, bud. That's why 70% of that staff WAS FIRED, you fuck.

Ohiolachians aren't exactly renowned for critical thinking, but goddamn. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The best pound-for-pound classes in modern recruiting history

By  STEVE WILTFONG.      May 28th

In 10 years as a network, 247Sports has only had five recruiting classes finish with an average ranking per commit of over 94, with Ohio State’s 2017 class highlighted by the likes of Chase Young, Jeffrey Okudah, JK Dobbins and Wyatt Davis being the best pound-for-pound class in our history with a mark of 94.59 per signee.

In the 2021 cycle, four programs are making a run at that haul Urban Meyer and the Buckeyes signed four cycles ago, beginning with Ryan Day and his Ohio State program sitting atop the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings highlighted by an average ranking per commit of 95.34. Beyond the Big Ten powerhouse, we have Clemson at 94.55, Georgia at 94.05 and Alabama at 94.03.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/The-best-pound-for-pound-classes-in-modern-recruiting-history-147593710/

Mentioned in article:

2010 TEXAS: 93.90

Longhorns fans remember this class as the one that saw two five-stars commit on the same Friday — defensive end Jackson Jeffcoat and linebacker Jordan Hicks. Three other five-stars also made up the class, receivers Mike Davis and Darius White along with defensive end Reggie Wilson. This Texas class ranked No. 2 overall that cycle, on the heels of the BCS Championship Game loss to Alabama, and while it had some hits, it's not one that helped Texas continue a winning standard over the next couple of seasons. 

Edited by LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

NSIAP but I missed it - Jalen Kitna to UF. 

that's A LOT of Texas QBs committed. 

https://247sports.com/player/jalen-kitna-46081727/

The barely-related Bible verse on the official commit graphic next to the Jumpman logo and #CHOMPDOWN21 is pretty fucking ridiculous

Edited by texifornia
  • Haha 1

not really recruiting related, but seems like worth posting ... 

Dabo Swinney just said Justyn Ross will not play this season. Said there's no guarantee he can play football again. Has a congenital fusion that he was born with. It showed up in an X-ray this spring. Will have surgery this Friday.

Terrible news for that kid. Hope he recovers fully - football or not.