Non-Texas Recruiting 2021

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29411920/top-10-wr-isaiah-brevard-says-attend-oregon

Top-10 WR Isaiah Brevard says he'll attend Oregon

10:36 PM CT.     ESPN

Isaiah Brevard, a wide receiver from Southaven, Mississippi, and the No. 61 overall player in the ESPN 300, has committed to Oregon, he announced on social media Saturday.

Brevard, who is ranked No. 7 among wide receivers in the 2021 class, released a video on Twitter that featured him donning an Oregon uniform, with "LETS GO DUCKS" as his introduction.  He also posted a message, saying: "I'm Hungry, I'm Humble, I'm Here. I'm here Eugene let's rock out out."    Brevard also had offers from Florida State, Georgia, Penn State, Baylor, Ole Miss and Texas A&M.

He is the highest-rated player in the 2021 ESPN 300 to commit to Oregon, but the third in the top 100, joining quarterback Ty Thompson (No. 67) and wide receiver Troy Franklin (No. 70).

Abiara with legit interest in SMU? 

SMU handed out a rather peculiar offer on the 4th of July at first glance to Mansfield (Tex.) Legacy defensive lineman David Abiara, who has been committed to Notre Dame for a while now. Oklahoma is favored on the 247Sports Crystal Ball to flip him away from the Irish so there's work to do here.

That said, SMU defensive line coach Randall Joyner has been in contact for weeks now, working the four-star prospect. Abiara is close with SMU target and Mansfield (Tex.) Lake Ridge defensive lineman Braylen Jackson, who just picked up a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick to land with the Mustangs.

It'd be quite the shock if SMU pulled this off, but the staff is hitting its stride with momentum around the Dallas area. There's a lot of buzz around the program and prospects like Abiara are taking notice. Will that stop him from committing to the Sooners or sticking with the Irish? We will find out in the long run.

A source did indicate that the 6-4, 248-pounder has legitimate interest in SMU and talks have ramped up as of late, which led to the formal offer. SMU's making headway and I'd imagine there's a long way to go here, but there's hope on SMU's side based on their conversations with Abiara.

He'll be one to monitor going forward and would be a huge land for the staff, if they're able to wrestle him away from the Irish and slow the Sooners' momentum. Now that an offer is on the table, SMU can turn up the heat even more and see where the chips fall.

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite ranks him as the No. 336 overall prospect in the country, No. 23 overall strong-side defensive end in the nation and No. 49 overall prospect in Texas.

Good Lord.

There are some other clips out there, and I really do believe that his ceiling is Frank Thomas. Floor is low, but that swing is....*chef's kiss*

Edit to add: NJ still has Fazoli's? I thought shitty Italian fast food only had a shot in regions that are unaware of what Italian food is. NJ isn't that. I remember tasting that awful ziti again as I was barrel rolling for skipping class. Didn't need that memory today.

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

22 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Good Lord.

There are some other clips out there, and I really do believe that his ceiling is Frank Thomas. Floor is low, but that swing is....*chef's kiss*

Edit to add: NJ still has Fazoli's? I thought shitty Italian fast food only had a shot in regions that are unaware of what Italian food is. NJ isn't that. I remember tasting that awful ziti again as I was barrel rolling for skipping class. Didn't need that memory today.

Wow, why did the outfielder even move...mashed

that's a good get for Arky. I hate them as any Longhorn fan should, but I like what Pittman is doing with that class so far. I think Lowery is very underrated right now. I am really surprised that Patterson kept up the slow play angle, even after schools like LSU started to move in because it was clear he was getting tired of the process. 

You look at the top of the Arky class and you've got a homerun threat in AJ Green, a one cut RB that has good hands in Javion Hunt, 2 big framed WRs in Raheim Sanders (BIG frame) and Jaedon Wilson... that's some nice tools to put into the Briles offense. You think Briles won't find a way to get the ball to AJ Green in space and watch him run away from aggy like Schwartz did for Auburn? That Elko defense vs. the offenses that are being installed all over the SECW right now ...     

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DAMN LAZY-ASS MACK!!! 

https://www.hookem.com/story/mack-brown-probably-took-guys-off-video-end-tenure-texas/

How has recruiting changed now versus your first go-round at UNC?

I think I have a better feel of when to get out of a player if he’s not interested in us. You’d rather be fifth than second, because if you wait until the end, and he’s not coming, you not only lose him but you probably lose the other two you were recruiting at that position because you waited too late. So I ask a lot more direct questions than I did before.

The staff suggests who we offer and I make those decisions now, and I thought even at Texas, at the end, we probably took some guys off video and I didn’t meet them all in person and we didn’t watch them all in person. We want to see these guys in person. I’m not going to offer and take a guy at North Carolina that I don’t meet. And if I don’t like him, I’m not taking him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Good Lord.

I feel like the DT position always has the most intriguing athletes

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I think I have a better feel of when to get out of a player if he’s not interested in us. You’d rather be fifth than second, because if you wait until the end, and he’s not coming, you not only lose him but you probably lose the other two you were recruiting at that position because you waited too late. So I ask a lot more direct questions than I did before.

Herman really needs to learn this lesson.

He’s so damn green for being the UT HC. He’s been here 3 years and only been a HC for 5 years total. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that a Baylor alum would see a conspiracy theory in this (also lol ou pretty much runs the conference administration, get your conniving overlords right)

Fuck that guy and fuck Baylor.  Whether they consent or not.

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

DAMN LAZY-ASS MACK!!! 

https://www.hookem.com/story/mack-brown-probably-took-guys-off-video-end-tenure-texas/

The staff suggests who we offer and I make those decisions now, and I thought even at Texas, at the end, we probably took some guys off video and I didn’t meet them all in person and we didn’t watch them all in person. We want to see these guys in person. I’m not going to offer and take a guy at North Carolina that I don’t meet. And if I don’t like him, I’m not taking him.

7J76.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Herman really needs to learn this lesson.

He’s so damn green for being the UT HC. He’s been here 3 years and only been a HC for 5 years total. 

I will say that in the portal age, finishing second and not burning the bridge could end up netting you that prospect a year or two down the line a certain percentage of the time. Of course, he'd be less valuable since he'd most likely then have to sit out a year. 

57 minutes ago, Fud said:

I will say that in the portal age, finishing second and not burning the bridge could end up netting you that prospect a year or two down the line a certain percentage of the time. Of course, he'd be less valuable since he'd most likely then have to sit out a year. 

Whoa. I hadn't even considered the further implications of aggy not recruiting in-state, players often portal to be closer to home, and not having any relationships built ... 

Oof. 

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Whoa. I hadn't even considered the further implications of aggy not recruiting in-state, players often portal to be closer to home, and not having any relationships built ... 

Oof. 

Also, Jimbo doesn't seem terribly interested in saving several class counters every year for potential transfers

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's very odd to me that Jimbo has completely ignored the transfer market. 

Has A&M added a single transfer under Jimbo? 

Jimbo sees no reason not to pretend it's 2011, when the Game of the Century was a 9-6 abomination of run-first offenses slamming into packed lines, and the Portal didn't exist.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Man, Wickline is really marching to the beat of his own drummer this year: https://247sports.com/player/ryan-lengyel-46097993/

That’s been pretty much every year for decades with Wickline. He tends to make it work, though he also voluntarily took Tristan Nickelson at Texas, so...

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

While Jackson doesn't seem like a particularly special prospect, it'd be nice if Alexis would go ahead and commit and assuage some of our WR recruiting blues.

I will say this about Jackson - I think he's a good football player. More importantly, I think he's an excellent scheme fit for Arkansas in the Briles offense. Texas fans know very well - those super wide formations that Baylor would get in under Art -- it's easy to imagine Jackson and Sanders outside of the hashes and AJ Green and Jaqualyn Crawford outside of each of them. that outside screen pressure vs. defending the RPO is real. If you stay 5 in the box and take away some space to defend the screen then it's going to give them numbers in the run game. Simple and effective. 

I think it's a good get for them and a better scheme fit than he'd be here. 

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

it'd be nice if Alexis would go ahead and commit

For real. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Remember Deion's kid that's ranked #3 in the state on ESPN?  Just committed to FAU.

What is with that school and weirdly high-profile recruits/transfers? Compared to like FIU or Georgia State or Troy and other G5 schools they have a huge proportion of "oh, that guy!" players.

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

While Jackson doesn't seem like a particularly special prospect, it'd be nice if Alexis would go ahead and commit and assuage some of our WR recruiting blues.

5 hours ago, golfclap said:

I will say this about Jackson - I think he's a good football player. More importantly, I think he's an excellent scheme fit for Arkansas in the Briles offense. Texas fans know very well - those super wide formations that Baylor would get in under Art -- it's easy to imagine Jackson and Sanders outside of the hashes and AJ Green and Jaqualyn Crawford outside of each of them. that outside screen pressure vs. defending the RPO is real. If you stay 5 in the box and take away some space to defend the screen then it's going to give them numbers in the run game. Simple and effective. 

I think it's a good get for them and a better scheme fit than he'd be here. 

For real. 

And Cooks too while we're at it. All signs point to him being a UT lock, but I'd really feel better if he'd hop in the class, considering our LB recruiting for the last four ten years. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

Always a funny glimpse into OB's readership. Have fun with Wick, Baylor.

And another one. Because it's good to remember that every fanbase has its delusional weirdos

Ive seen the Wickline one...hadnt seen the other, makes sense that it came from Ketchs site. Fuckin weirdos

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

Iowa State just grabbed a DFW kid - looks like they're his only P5 offer

https://247sports.com/player/jayden-gray-46100308/

Hm? Looks like he has Northwestern and Va Tech as well. Not sure they're popular enough destinations to hand out noncommittable offers either.

Edited by Bevo14