Non-Texas Recruiting 2021

angelos's frog

On 9/13/2020 at 10:46 PM, Treefidy said:

I mean that being generous calling 3 signed duck dynasty books, a case of FEMA pamphlets and a stack of nutria hides a “library”.  
I did hear they had quite a collection on microfiche that all escaped during one of the heavier storms.  

Duck dynasty dad was La Tech. LSU would never sully their fine campus with the scratchings of a La Tech drop out. 

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georgia-football/jake-garcia-usc-trojans-georgia-high-school-transfer-parents-legal-separation-2020/

https://247sports.com/Player/Jake-Garcia-46053996/

4* QB from California parents get legally divorced so that he will be eligible to play football his HS senior year in Georgia.

giphy.gif

I watched the Newton vs Jasper stream last week and Jasper has a running back named Carl Limbrick in the 2021class.  He has 539 yards in two games.  He has scored 62 points in those two games.  He reminds me of the Newton running back, Darwin Barlow who went to TCU.  Limbrick is pretty big and fast as hell.  Somebody is going to get a steal.  He is not listed on 247, but does have some game highlights on MaxPreps.

Edited by lemonandaturd

8 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

I watched the Newton vs Jasper stream last week and Jasper has a running back named Carl Limbrick in the 2021class.  He has 539 yards in two games.  He has scored 62 points in those two games.  He reminds me of the Newton running back, Darwin Barlow who went to TCU.  Limbrick is pretty big and fast as hell.  Somebody is going to get a steal.  He is not listed on 247, but does have some game highlights on MaxPreps.

WATCH: Mr. Texas Football Player of the Week nominations for Week 3

Vote for the Mr. Texas Football Player of the Week on TexasFootball.com. This week's nominees are Lexington RB/LB Jared Kerr, Center RB Kemodre Horace, Little River Academy WR/DB Jaylin McWilliams, Troy RB Zach Hrbacek, Queen City QB/DB Alex Shelton, Caddo Mills QB Tyler Townley and others.

PLAYER OF THE WEEK NOMINEES

• Lexington RB/LB Jared Kerr — 231 yards, 3 TDs rushing; 46 yards, 2 TDs passing; 17 tackles, INT; 2XP conversion
  • Center RB Kemodre Horace — 24 carries, 383 yards, 5 TDs rushing
  • Little River Academy WR/DB Jaylin McWilliams — 61 yards, TD rushing; 3 catches, 26 yards, TD receiving; 2 INT return TDs
  • Troy RB Zach Hrbacek — 17 carries,250 yards, 6 TDs rushing
  • Queen City QB/DB Alex Shelton — 254 yards, 3 TDs passing; 170 yards, 3 TDs rushing; 3 tackles, 2 PBU
  • Caddo Mills QB Tyler Townley — 274 yards, 3 TDs passing; 217 yards, 5 TDs rushing
  • Lindsay QB Kolt Schuckers — 412 yards, 6 TDs passing
  • Jasper RB Carl Limbrick — 16 carries, 320 yards, 6 TDs rushing

5f53f85adce85.image.jpg?resize=750,489

• Salado RB Noah Mescher — 27 carries, 364 yards 5 TDs rushing
  • Lockney RB/LB Anson Rendon — 295 yards 3 TDs rushing; 11 yards receiving; 3 2XP conversions; 5 tackles

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2020/09/14/watch-mr-texas-football-player-of-the-week-nominations-for-week-3?ref=article_preview_img

Edited by LTtxfan

IT: Q&A w/Rivals' Matt Clare (Tech and regional insider)

Spoiler

With Texas and Tech playing this weekend what better time to have on a Tech insider?

Matt Clare has covered Tech for years and is also on the Rivals regional beat.

You can find him on Twitter at @MattClareRivals.

Inside Texas: Tech has 9 commitments at the moment, or 10 counting grad transfer Colin Schooler, mention what you like about the class and what the big needs that remain.

Matt Clare: I don’t count Schooler for the 2021 class, and unless contact tracing keeps him out, he was listed as the No. 1 ILB/MLB on the Texas Tech depth chart. So the Tech fans are eager to see him debut this weekend and we can have some Schooler vs. Schooler this Saturday.

The fans on our website would tell you there needs to be more, more, more commitments. I think the coaches are being cautious from an evaluation standpoint, and while the COVID/permanent dead period has impacted every college staff, the Tech coaches are in somewhat of a unique situation.

They are trying to build and this is the second full year on the recruiting trail for Matt Wells and his staff. From what I’m told, they are hesitant to move off of top priority targets and begin offering several others at positions like OL or RB or DB due to the inactivity or inability to host recruits.

I really like the balance in the 2021 class, and the skill talent on offense with QB Behren Morton and WR Jerand Bradley is an excellent start for the Tech coaches. In a loaded 2021 class, I also really like OL Jack Tucker’s upside at the tackle position.

These guys get the headlines on offense, but David Yost runs 11-personnel and is building the TE room in Lubbock. The coaches have two (2) commitments at 6-foot-7 and 6-foot-8, with Jed Castles from WF Rider and Mason Tharp from Klein. I’m interested to see how that fits into the overall scheme on offense over time, because with Morton at QB and Bradley on the outside, having these two huge targets at TE could be dangerous.

On the defensive side of the ball, the coaches have three (3) DL commits and one (1) LB commit. The LB commit - DeShawn Page - is a JUCO prospect from East Mississippi C.C. and is considered one of the top JUCO LB prospects in the nation. He was originally a K-State commitment, then the Tech coaches landed him over OkState. Now the Mississippi State coaches have offered and that will be something to follow, but he seems solid with Tech for the moment.

On the defensive line, the coaches landed a commitment from Rider DE E’Maurion Banks in April and he has a pretty impressive offer list. His junior season ended with a knee injury, and I’m certain that forced some of those programs to back off, but this is exactly the type of prospect Texas Tech has to land and develop. I met him at a Rider scrimmage last week, and the coaches say he is currently measuring at 6-foot-6, 280-pounds going into the season.

In terms of the remaining needs, the big question is where do the overall numbers come from to round out this class. The offers are there, but a majority of targets have committed or aren’t really considering Tech at the moment.

There are zero defensive back commitments, and there really aren’t any prospects that come to mind as probable or likely to choose Tech at the moment. The new DBs coach, Derek Jones, talks a huge game on Twitter and has a personality online...but the results aren’t there right now.

He has offered a ton of regional and even East Coast targets, but we are talking about kids with 30-plus offers and highly rated kids who aren’t showing up in Lubbock anytime soon.

The coaches are offering more OL prospects, but there is only one commitment and a handful of top targets. Not a position you necessarily want to be in as the calendar flips to October.

IT: Texas fans are familiar with needing to re-tool the TE position. UT is finally in a place where there’s both talent and depth. I really like Castles. E. Banks definitely has the physical tools and athleticism to become All Conference. UT fans are also familiar with a disappointing cycle recruiting OL.

What are the current dogfights Tech is in and with which schools?

MC: The one current dogfight is for the program’s top RB target, Cam’Ron Valdez. The coaches are head to head with Oklahoma State, and while I believe they eventually land Valdez, the Cowboys aren’t making it easy and seem to be fighting back at every turn.

It was interesting seeing OL Jacoby Jackson decommit from TCU and come back onto the market, so to say. The Tech coaches hosted him for 3-4 visits over the past year and have built a very good relationship there. He doesn’t seem like a kid that wants to rush another decision, and I doubt TCU is really ‘out’ at this point, but Texas offered him and I believe a combination of Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma State, maybe Texas and potentially Florida State will be in the running for his commitment.

The other main target would be OL Ty Buchanan out of Corpus Christi, and he is another prospect who was on the Tech campus earlier in the year. The coaches waited to offer and now he holds 30-plus offers. It is a situation where he could have been an insta-commit in January or February, but now they are fighting with Oklahoma State and USC, among others.

Overall, I would say that Tech has to win the battles against the schools like Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma State to be successful on the recruiting trail.

Tech and Texas rarely ever battle head to head for recruits, the Longhorns recruit in another stratosphere.

IT: That may be true, but Behren Morton can absolutely play at Texas. It seems they made an early decision to target Morton over Sawyer Robertson. Do you know what went into that? Both are quite good and I’m not sure they can go wrong. Behren reminds of Sam Bradford some.

MC: I will preface this by saying, I have never talked to Sawyer Robertson or watched him play. I have heard excellent things, however, the coaches were always on Morton and I have to believe that is due to him reciprocating the interest. While Robertson is the home town guy, prospects from Lubbock typically want to leave West Texas for their college experience.

I believe that has something to do with Morton over Robertson, but it was interesting to see that he will play for Mike Leach and Mississippi State. So never a dull moment, Eric. He will be playing baseball as well, so he probably has a laser rocket arm and will turn out to be a great college QB.

However, I believe the same is true for Morton, minus the laser rocket arm part. He made the Elite 11 Finals and we received great reviews from the media in attendance, especially for a small town 3A kid competing against the top QBs in the nation.

IT: I hear he’s very competitive, and has the intangibles. Plus he’s a multi-sport kid who seems to be very accurate.

On 9/17/2020 at 6:48 AM, Not a Sock said:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georgia-football/jake-garcia-usc-trojans-georgia-high-school-transfer-parents-legal-separation-2020/

https://247sports.com/Player/Jake-Garcia-46053996/

4* QB from California parents get legally divorced so that he will be eligible to play football his HS senior year in Georgia.

His eligibility is now being questioned/investigated by his district...

https://www.ajc.com/sports/high-school-sports-blog/ghsa-investigates-eligibility-of-valdosta-qb-who-transferred-from-california/7BFOPLDABFHVDN6POIBJOACQAU/

Edited by ChampionshipLevelPiss