Non-Texas Recruiting 2021

angelos's frog

TCU board all feel like he's headed to Baylor with his teammate Hal Presley

quote from Clark (TCU247) ::

With Baylor, their recruiting coordinator is really pushing for him. I was told Wickline really hasn't been that involved with Jackson so far. Plus, you have Hal Presley that is a teammate and is probably pushing for Jacoby too.

Just now, George Clooney said:

@golfclap Did you see that William Parker got Fong’d to Tennessee? They could be on the path to improvement if Harrison Bailey plays well in the future.

Yeah. That would be a serious OT duo with Smith, imo. I was really surprised that Tennessee got him over UNC, given the class that Mack is putting together. 

17 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Clemson has not handled the shutdown well. Went from leading with a handful of blue chip players like Leigh to looking for a replacement 

Any idea why @Doc Sam Beckett? I know that a lot of it seems to revolve around Dabo wanting to have in-person contact vs. kids wanting to have decisions made sooner in this crazy ass year, etc ... but is that it? It seems like the coaches and support staff are still super active with recruits, lots of communication, etc ... but it was a light switch flip -  leading for a lot of guys that appear to be leaning elsewhere now. It's still a LONG way to ESD or NSD I've just been a but surprised by the momentum. Though I will say that getting Paige and Pennington back-to-back was a real shot in the arm. Two absolute hammers. 

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Any idea why @Doc Sam Beckett? I know that a lot of it seems to revolve around Dabo wanting to have in-person contact vs. kids wanting to have decisions made sooner in this crazy ass year, etc ... but is that it? It seems like the coaches and support staff are still super active with recruits, lots of communication, etc ... but it was a light switch flip -  leading for a lot of guys that appear to be leaning elsewhere now. It's still a LONG way to ESD or NSD I've just been a but surprised by the momentum. Though I will say that getting Paige and Pennington back-to-back was a real shot in the arm. Two absolute hammers. 

I think they misread the long-term impact of the pandemic. I don't know this for a fact, but in following Mukuba's recruitment, it sure sounds like they planned to get him on campus for an official this summer. When it became obvious that wasn't going to happen, instead of pivoting they planned to get him on campus in the fall. It's clear that's not happening, and now they're forced to react to the pandemic instead of react to the recruit. 

They sell the OV angle hard. To flip on it (if that's what they're trying to do now) must feel disingenuous. If someone told me that they really wanted me to be a VP at their company, I was the only person on their list, but I had to come interview in person to get a feel for the company culture, meet who I would be working with, learn who my team is, and that these requirements were unshakable. They've been burned in the past and this is the only way forward, everyone must come in person for the final interview.

Then, jk we're good, you want the job still?

Uh....maybe not?

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I think they misread the long-term impact of the pandemic. I don't know this for a fact, but in following Mukuba's recruitment, it sure sounds like they planned to get him on campus for an official this summer. When it became obvious that wasn't going to happen, instead of pivoting they planned to get him on campus in the fall. It's clear that's not happening, and now they're forced to react to the pandemic instead of react to the recruit. 

They sell the OV angle hard. To flip on it (if that's what they're trying to do now) must feel disingenuous. If someone told me that they really wanted me to be a VP at their company, I was the only person on their list, but I had to come interview in person to get a feel for the company culture, meet who I would be working with, learn who my team is, and that these requirements were unshakable. They've been burned in the past and this is the only way forward, everyone must come in person for the final interview.

Then, jk we're good, you want the job still?

Uh....maybe not?

Don't know what is happening with Mukuba and the Clemson commits, but I would be skeptical if changing their position on OVs - in their favor - became a significant negative.

- Programs and recruits change their position on all kinds of things, including coaches, assistants, schemes, primary/backup plans (both recruits and schools), etc..

- If sleazebag Dabo got on the phone and said "We love to host recruits, but this dang pandemic has killed almost 200,000 people. We REALLY, REALLY CARE about you and your family, so in order to keep you safe, we're making an exception!" (or some exceptions), would these 17-18 year olds push back because of perceived inconsistency?

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Dabo got himself negatively recruited some recently with his response to the current social issues, but I don't think the effects of the negative recruiting were as big of a deal as some made it out. The biggest issue is definitely what you pointed out. Clemson doesn't have the alumni base, the money, or the history to just sit back and let the machine work. Dabo has really done well to combat that with the way he handles recruiting. He likes to see reciprocation from the recruit and a genuine interest before offering a scholarship, and this is a good base to build off of when the recruit visits campus. With a relationship built up, they hammer family environment and the consistency. Hard to run that game plan when you can't officially host recruits. 

I was about to lose my shit when Clemson was trending away from Leigh and Rucci and Pennington was sitting there waiting. Credit to the staff for finally waking up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

spacer.png

Spoiler

BATON ROUGE, La. — As Ed Orgeron attempted to figure out how to navigate some of the trickiest waters he’s seen in years, he called his mentor. He called Pete Carroll.

Times are tense at LSU. Orgeron compared it to the days after the 2017 home loss to Troy. He compared it to the “black clouds all over” that first season. He knows he has a situation to handle, and he needs to do it correctly.

He has star players opting out. He has others transferring. He had a players’ protest on societal issues during scheduled practice time that he wasn’t told about. He had COVID-19 temporarily taking most of LSU’s offensive line out of practice. He scolded a reporter Tuesday for reporting stories with anonymous sources.

A section of the locker room was upset when he went on Fox News and said “I love President Trump.” There’s an ever-growing national discussion on racial justice amid police violence, and there’s a perfect storm building, a challenge for Orgeron as a title-winning head coach. How will he handle it? It’s a test of the traits for which he’s most praised.

This outlet — maybe more than any other — has praised Orgeron for his ability to adapt, for his ability to listen, for his ability to see what he’s doing wrong and make a change for the better. Those traits are how he went from a well-documented failure at Ole Miss to the national coach of the year in 2019 on the way to an undefeated national championship.

And now Orgeron truly needs to listen. He needs to adapt. He admitted that repeatedly to reporters in a Zoom news conference Tuesday. He said it’s been a weekend of thinking and talking and learning.

He called Carroll, a Super Bowl- and national championship-winning coach who took Orgeron under his wing at USC in the 2000s. Carroll also happens to be one of the most open-minded and vocal coaches in football on societal issues. Orgeron asked his mentor about how he’s handling everything going on in the country with social injustice and racism.

Orgeron’s catchphrase is “block out the noise,” preaching a focused program that ignores outside influences. After his call with Carroll, he said:

“When I say ‘block out the noise,’ when we come into work we’re focusing on the task at hand. But it’s not being oblivious to what’s going on out there. Because obviously it’s affecting our players. If it’s affecting our players, I need to be educated on what’s going on, why it’s going on, listen to them, open up some dialogue and find some solutions.”

That’s step one.

Friday was a tricky day for Orgeron. He went into the room for LSU’s 1:30 p.m. team meeting only to find that six players showed up, people familiar with the matter said. The players didn’t tell him about a protest — organized by safety JaCoby Stevens and defensive end Andre Anthony — taking place outside of Tiger Stadium. They skipped the meeting to demand change in the wake of police violence against George Floyd, Jacob Blake and countless others. Once Orgeron knew about it, he asked assistant coaches such as Corey Raymond to go talk to the players and figure out what was going on as they marched to the LSU president’s office.

“I got a call, ‘Coach, the team would like to meet you. They are at the president’s office,’” Orgeron recalled. “That was the next thing I heard.”

He then made his way to president Tom Galligan’s office, and Orgeron and his players spoke for more than an hour about what was going on inside the locker room and in the country. When it was over, Orgeron told reporters he needed to listen, and Stevens and Anthony said they were proud of Orgeron for starting to dive into the discussion.

Still, whether fair or not, criticism of Orgeron grew when other premier coaches such as Oklahoma’s Lincoln Riley and Alabama’s Nick Saban led protests with their teams and marched with them.

Politics and football. Many want athletes and coaches to avoid mixing the two, but that’s off the table in 2020. Most people close to Orgeron say he’s generally an apolitical person who doesn’t speak much about right or left. Former LSU linebacker and first-round pick K’Lavon Chaisson, likely the player Orgeron has the closest relationship with and who he described as “like a son to me,” criticized Orgeron after his Trump comments by tweeting: “Coach O is a great man and I know he didn’t mean any harm by this but he is the definition of only know and care about football. He is blind to everything else.”

But Orgeron has also become quite close with Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards, a Democrat. He’s appeared at Edwards’ re-election fundraisers. He’s been Edwards’ point man for promoting COVID-19 awareness. Orgeron doesn’t speak on political issues, per se, but he works closely with somebody like Edwards, who wields great power in the state.

None of this needs to be about politics, though. It just needs to be about being empathetic to a roster of primarily Black student-athletes who are in pain right now. Orgeron said of his meeting with the players Friday:

“It was different, obviously, but in the end, I had a meeting with the players. They voiced their opinion. I voiced mine. That was all handled in-house. I thought it was a good growing experience for both of us, for me as a head coach and for our football team. For me to listen to the things going on with them and why they did it and being part of the solution.”

LSU had Ryan Clark, the former LSU safety and current ESPN analyst, speak to the leadership council on Tuesday. Orgeron is entering this week with a different understanding of how he should approach these problems. To date, quite frankly, Orgeron has simply “blocked out the noise.”

But this is where we must give Orgeron the benefit of the doubt, because history says he does listen. He does adapt when things get tough. When he was fired at Ole Miss, he completely changed his coaching style and how he manages a program. When LSU lost to Troy his first year, he changed his approach and became a more enjoyable coach who delegates and focuses on bigger tasks. LSU became national champions.

“People with egos, to me, that’s just a sign you can be very dumb, meaning people with egos don’t want to take any information,” LSU trainer Jack Marucci said in October. “They think they know it all …

“(Orgeron)’s the most innovative, and he’s been head and shoulders above other people, because if it makes sense he will change it. He’s not set in his ways.”

Early indications are he’s making gestures to try to ease tensions and be a part of that solution. Now LSU sits less than a month away from a Sept. 26 season opener against Mississippi State.

And it does it with an entirely new looking roster. The Tigers already had to replace 15 starters from the title team due to the 2020 draft and graduation. Add in Ja’Marr Chase, Tyler Shelvin, Kary Vincent and Neil Farrell opting out, and LSU is without another four key pieces. Add in several other transfers, and only five starters remain from the 2019 season. And it’s not even clear if the opt-outs are over. A few more are still considering it.

“I don’t want anybody else to opt out,” Orgeron said. “I wish (Shelvin) might be the last one, hopefully, but it may not be, but we’re going to deal with it.”

From a football perspective, LSU will be fine in the grand scheme of things. This season just became more challenging, but the departures have hit areas of strength. LSU loses arguably the best receiver in the nation in Chase, but it still has Terrace Marshall Jr. and his 13 touchdowns and a five- or six-deep room of talented receivers. It loses Shelvin and Farrell, two of its best three interior linemen, but it still has starter Glen Logan, rising star Apu Ika and a talented freshman class. It loses Vincent at corner and defensive ends like TK McLendon and Justin Thomas to transfers, but LSU recruits at a high level and should be able to fill in behind them.

LSU’s ceiling certainly just dropped quite a bit. Its chances of winning the SEC, for example, declined dramatically. But I’d still consider the Tigers a favorite in at least seven games. They’re still talented.

“That’s why we gotta recruit,” Orgeron said. “That’s why you’re at LSU. You’ve got some good, young players who can play. I know our guys are gonna step up. It is a lot of turnover, but it’s a great challenge for our staff.”

And he’s right. Ed Orgeron is facing one of the most challenging stretches in his LSU tenure. He’s won a national championship. His leash figures to be plenty long. But if he wants to continue to get the most out of his team, if he wants to continue to build this program and continue recruiting the kind of talent he normally does, he needs to empathize with his roster.

Orgeron needs to once again display what he does best. He needs to listen.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

"LSU had Ryan Clark, the former LSU safety and current ESPN analyst, speak to the leadership council on Tuesday."

Lutz... RC is not the right guy to provide good leadership advice for CFB players!!

RC is over-the-top with his political agenda and creating controversy on the air for ESPN.  Seems like all RC really cares about is becoming another Stephen A and getting his own show...

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

"LSU had Ryan Clark, the former LSU safety and current ESPN analyst, speak to the leadership council on Tuesday."

Lutz... RC is not the right guy to provide good leadership advice for CFB players!!

RC is over-the-top with his political agenda and creating controversy on the air for ESPN.  Seems like all RC really cares about is becoming another Stephen A and getting his own show...

He's their version of Emmanual Acho 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Baton Rouge visitors list, organized by Nussmeier and Koht

Tristan Leigh 5* Not Committed
Korey Foreman 5* Not Committed
Maason Smith 5* Not Committed
Garrett Nussmeier 4* Committed
Brian Thomas Jr 4* Not Committed
Naquan Brown 4* Committed
Chris Hilton 4* Committed
Keanu Koht 4* Committed
JoJo Earle 4* Committed
Landon Jackson 4* Committed
Sage Ryan 5* Not Committed
Raesjon Davis 4* Committed
Savion Byrd 4* Not Committed
Michael Trigg 4* Not Committed

• Hook 'Em 1

Baton Rouge visitors list, organized by Nussmeier and Koht
Tristan Leigh 5* Not Committed
Korey Foreman 5* Not Committed
Maason Smith 5* Not Committed
Garrett Nussmeier 4* Committed
Brian Thomas Jr 4* Not Committed
Naquan Brown 4* Committed
Chris Hilton 4* Committed
Keanu Koht 4* Committed
JoJo Earle 4* Committed
Landon Jackson 4* Committed
Sage Ryan 5* Not Committed
Raesjon Davis 4* Committed
Savion Byrd 4* Not Committed
Michael Trigg 4* Not Committed

Leigh committing at the #swampsummit would inspire the best prose Drumm could summon
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Not sure where to put this so I'll put it in this thread. I think this should force schools to be more active on the transfer market based on how difficult it is to project OL out of HS. I'm all in on Texas taking 1 transfer on the OL every cycle. 

Not really a bad concept.  

I would say make offers and recruit the hell out or the top 3 or 4 prospects if they are legit,  but don't just take a fat guy that plays OL.