Non-Texas Recruiting 2021

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

So obviously the family is okay with it, but am I the only one who feels weird about a coach saying "that dead kid definitely would have committed to me?"  Big fan of Traylor and it's nice to show that family love, I just kinda find the wording of his tweet strange.  

Quick coaching carousel updates:

• TCU: Kenny Trill has been promoted to QB coach, Kill is coming back, and Meachem is sole OC
  • fOSU: Coombs stays as sole OC (Mattison retired), promoting former ST coord. Matt Barnes to secondary coach. Barnes spent time at Texas St. as well. 
  • Alabama: Texans TE coach Will Lawing joining as an analyst
  • ASU: Kevin Mawae leaves for the Colts

All of these updates are, at least tangentially, GREAT for Texas. Coombs is awful, now has full control and isn't doing what he's good at (developing DBs) directly anymore. Barnes is a nobody, afaik. GC may have more detail. Lawing following O'Brien, despite being retained by the Texans tells me all I need to know about that. Mawae has been a great recruiter for sparky (grumbleEzra Oyetadegrumble). And, in an effort to reverse the trend of middling success, TCU promotes KENNY FUCKING TRILL. Imagine walking into a meeting room and seeing Jerry Kill, Douglas, and Kenny Trill and keeping a straight face. I cannot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Hill has been doing a great deal of recruiting for the Frogs via the phone, social media etc... and his making decisions in the offense aren't a concern for Frog fans and supporters.  Gary has become the Howard Hughes of college football and paranoid to outside ideas and Kenny is one of his kids who has been in the program.  No different than Fitch or Modkins.  

Meacham is the bigger concern because he got ran out of Ft Worth, was brought back, and basically called plays last year.  The word is that the offense will be a product of Jerry Kill, former Pittsburg St HC Tim Beck, and Meacham which means two pound the rock guys and a spread HUNH guy so who knows what the offense will look like next year. 

Agree that right now the offensive staff shouldn't give Texas much concerns, but not because of Kenny's role.  Mainly I don't trust the trio to come up with a way to use the backs and the young receivers in a coordinated offense. 

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

I don’t think it’s a bad strategy for Texas State. The recruits they get out of HS are normally much lower tier guys. This way, I see them getting better caliber athletes with some experience who are looking for a fresh start. 

Spavital's JC/GT strategy is not sustainable. JC/GTs are looking for immediate playing time. Sure he could theoretically get all GTs that are 1 year revolving doors. But how does he build any sort of depth? I hope for Texas State's sake, his next recruiting class is more balanced. 

On 2/9/2021 at 1:18 PM, golfclap said:

LSU pulling in a top 3 class during this inferno level dumpster fire is both hilarious and infuriating. 

On 2/9/2021 at 2:10 PM, Bevo said:

They are the only show in town and they cheat. So, it doesn't surprise me.

They were also coming off a national championship and had about 50 guys drafted. With as much early recruiting that goes on these days plus the absence of in person visits, I'm not that surprised. We didn't see the usual number of flips this year. And then there's always the sell of early playing time when your team struggles. I think they are going to feel it a little more in 2022. They already have with some decommits. 

7 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Spavital's JC/GT strategy is not sustainable. JC/GTs are looking for immediate playing time. Sure he could theoretically get all GTs that are 1 year revolving doors. But how does he build any sort of depth? I hope for Texas State's sake, his next recruiting class is more balanced. 

He isn’t planning on doing it long term.  70% of his roster is underclassmen, so taking older transfers potentially balances it out a bit.  It actually makes sense for them this year.  No chance to do deeper dive evals  plus free transfers for everyone, already young roster... makes sense to me

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Seems like having 15 open scholarships at the end of March is a bad philosophy to go with

Ya, you can't count on getting 15 guys out of the transfer portal that 100 other schools passed over and expect to be successful. They better hope that a bunch of guys who get beat out in spring want to go to a bottom of the barrel school to play. 

Edited by Vertigo

10 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Good lord, completely checked out of 2021 recruiting and had no idea this dude finished #5 in the state in 247’s rankings.

His ranking never made any sense based in his play or his offer list. I’m guessing Barton Simmons saw him in person at a camp once, decided he was great, and bumped him way up in the rankings. 

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

His ranking never made any sense based in his play or his offer list. I’m guessing Barton Simmons saw him in person at a camp once, decided he was great, and bumped him way up in the rankings. 

Yup, he got a huge boost after winning the Elite 11 that no big names competed in

38 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yup, he got a huge boost after winning the Elite 11 that no big names competed in

and he didn't shit all over Caleb Williams in the process *cough* Kyron Drones *cough*  - was hilarious watching that live stream. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Matrix Dodge Bullet GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

And a quick reminder is that only Leslie Edwin Miles was willing to take a flier on this guy. In his minimal defense, Art Briles would have done the same had he been coaching college football.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...