Texas may have accidentally legalized marijuana

Viper

19 hours ago, BradInATX said:

It's amazing that police brass always sees legalization as "OMG we're going to have to reduce our workforce" instead of "cool, now our officers can use all of that time to be proactive and in the community instead of wasting time and resources on victimless crimes"

Or maybe...just maybe...we can use the extra resources to test the backlog of rape kits. You know, a real fucking crime. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BradInATX said:

It's amazing that police brass always sees legalization as "OMG we're going to have to reduce our workforce" instead of "cool, now our officers can use all of that time to be proactive and in the community instead of wasting time and resources on victimless crimes"

Dawg, they ain't here to serve and protect. They're here to tax and collect. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 5 months later...

Austin police will no longer cite or arrest people for possessing small amounts of marijuana

The Austin Police Department has essentially decriminalized the possession of a misdemeanor amount of marijuana, according to a Thursday police memo.

“APD will no longer cite or arrest individuals with sufficient identification for Class A or Class B misdemeanor ‘possession of marijuana’ offenses, unless there is an immediate threat to a person’s safety or doing so as part of the investigation of a high priority, felony-level narcotics case or the investigation of a violent felony,” Police Chief Brian Manley wrote in a memo to the Austin mayor and city council.

Cont'd

So, as I understand it, Austinites will be able to possess up to 4 oz of weed and not get cited or arrested. Is that right? Because a quarter pound o' pot is a lot.

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/texas-law/texas-marijuana-laws.html 

On 7/30/2019 at 7:04 PM, smokebomb said:

Did not expect to see Ector County green on that map. 

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

Austin police will no longer cite or arrest people for possessing small amounts of marijuana

The Austin Police Department has essentially decriminalized the possession of a misdemeanor amount of marijuana, according to a Thursday police memo.

“APD will no longer cite or arrest individuals with sufficient identification for Class A or Class B misdemeanor ‘possession of marijuana’ offenses, unless there is an immediate threat to a person’s safety or doing so as part of the investigation of a high priority, felony-level narcotics case or the investigation of a violent felony,” Police Chief Brian Manley wrote in a memo to the Austin mayor and city council.

Cont'd

So, as I understand it, Austinites will be able to possess up to 4 oz of weed and not get cited or arrested. Is that right? Because a quarter pound o' pot is a lot.

Unless you piss off the cop or he’s had a bad day, because it’s still technically illegal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

Cont'd

Far out.

Here is a nugget/pro-tip/etc.:

Simply because APD is no longer enforcing MJ laws, that does NOT mean that it is "legal".  Seems obvious enough, but it matters because even wth the new policy change, a cop COULD (and would, IMO) use the odor of MJ alone as PC to search your vehicle without consent, to then charge you with any other crimes they uncover.

Also, do not carry a pistol if you have weed in your car/on you, because that results in an Unlawful Carryiing of a weapon.  This applies whether y9ou have a conceal carry permit or not.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, bolverk said:

Cont'd

A friend of mine would like to know how edibles fit into the law. Say he had 8 ounces of gummies, does it rely on how many mg of THC is involved. My friend thanks you for any help clarifying it for him (my friend).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

A friend of mine would like to know how edibles fit into the law. Say he had 8 ounces of gummies, does it rely on how many mg of THC is involved. My friend thanks you for any help clarifying it for him (my friend).

This. I mean, I also have a friend who is curious about edibles.

7 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Looks like it's no bueno after conducting extensive interwebs research. 

Under Texas law, possession of up to 4 ounces of marijuana plant is a misdemeanor. Extract the hash or resin from the same amount of plant, however, and possession is a felony. Wax, resin, oil, “vape pen” cartridges similar to those used in electronic cigarettes — having of any of them is a felony.

<snip>

According to 1989’s Texas Controlled Substances Act, a single THC-infused gummy bear weighing less than 4 grams could send a person to prison for 180 days up to 2 years (or 2 to 5 years of probation). A small bag of THC-infused cookies could be considered more than 4 grams but less than 400 grams, which kicks the penalty up a notch to a second-degree felony and a possible 20-year stint in prison. Life in prison could await anyone caught with more than 400 grams or an 80-ounce bag of THC-infused gummy bears, which weighs about 2,200 grams.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/on-texas-marijuana-trail-edibles-come-with-a-high-price-11282252

@XYZ

Edited by bolverk
I am not a lawyer. It's best to listen to whatever scottsins says.

I think I addressed this up thread (20 posts earlier), but gummies = felony.

For your friend, that 8 ounces is sentenced under the same framework as coke or meth. Ergo, 8 ounces = 2nd degree felony, which is punishable by 2-10 years TDCJ.

10 minutes ago, scottsins said:

I think I addressed this up thread (20 posts earlier), but gummies = felony.

For your friend, that 8 ounces is sentenced under the same framework as coke or meth. Ergo, 8 ounces = 2nd degree felony, which is punishable by 2-10 years TDCJ.

My friend says that’s some messed up bullshit!