Stephen King's Dr. Sleep

South Austin

For those who haven't read the novel, it's sort of the sequel to The Shining.  Stephen King said he was inspired to write the story after a fan once asked him, "Hey, whatever happened to that little kid from The Shining?"  So the main character is a grown-up Danny Torrance, who's a recovering alcoholic, still possessing the same gifts he had as a little boy.  Different setting than The Overlook, and different set of bad guys.  The book was damn good, and I'm currently on my second read.

In theaters November 8, 2019.

• Like 3

I’m skeptical that they’ll be able to pull it off. Doctor Sleep is typical King where a lot of stuff happens in the mind, and filmmakers almost always fall flat with that kind of stuff.

I really wish they would make a movie out of Wolves of the Calla. That would be awesome.

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Spent the first 30 minutes or so thoroughly confused because I didn't remember seeing anything in "The Shining" to suggest Danny nor anyone else had super human telepathic and telekinetic powers, but once it got going it all was worth it for the final half hour. 

Da fuq? I know it's not the book, but.... 

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Da fuq? I know it's not the book, but.... 

I remembered he had that power with ghosts and the supernatural but didn't remember it being with humans. Hadn't seen the movie in about 5 years though. Also didn't remember anything about being able to project your image over thousands of miles Skywalker style, take over control of people's bodies from such distance, or there being a whole subsect of pseudo vampires running around. 

Edited by Junior Miller

Saw it this afternoon after watching The Shining again this morning.  I'm not generally a fan of horror movies, but this was pretty well done.  Could have done without so much focus on the lady in the tub though.  That was one of the more horrifying moments from my childhood and I had to re-live it like 5 times in the movie.

Spoiler

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the hotel burning down at the end how The Shining was supposed to end?  Or how it ends in the book?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 7:18 AM, Chet Steadman said:

Saw it a few days ago as well.  I didn’t love the book but the movie was definitely worth the watch.  

And +rep on Rose. I don’t know if ever seen a movie with her before but goodness gracious she’s aces.  

She played Jenny Lind in The Greatest Showman with Hugh Jackman.  She was great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

basically all stephen king movies ever

This is almost negworthy and belongs on the bad opinions thread.

Stand By Me?  Shawshank?  Green Mile?  Carrie?  The Mist?

And the pure cheese of Christine and some of the lower brow fare.

Shitter!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nole-4-Life said:

I enjoyed the film and the book. Film climaxes at the Overlook. In the book it had burned down.

And yea, I'd give Rose my steam.

Rose had that Keri Russell look but with big uptops.  I'd definitely give her my shine.

• Like 2

Caught it on HBO Max.  As a huge fan of Kubrick's The Shining, I definitely enjoyed it. Knew almost nothing going in.

Haven't read the book so I don't know how this is portrayed there, but the huffing steam aspect of the gypsy people was the only thing that I didn't really buy into. But it didn't bother me that much and wasn't featured much in the final act.

Edited by LonghornSean