What If Barry Bonds Had Played Without A Baseball Bat?

Goo Punch

Here’s the flaw he’s asking to be pointed out:  pitchers will realize he’s not swinging, and that 58/32 ball/strike ratio will shift dramatically. 

His rules are that they don’t know he doesn’t have a bat, but they would quickly notice that he’s not swinging, and become braver. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Here’s the flaw he’s asking to be pointed out:  pitchers will realize he’s not swinging, and that 58/32 ball/strike ratio will shift dramatically. 

His rules are that they don’t know he doesn’t have a bat, but they would quickly notice that he’s not swinging, and become braver. 

There's another flaw. He used combined pitch stats to simulate pitches. He should have used simulated pitches from each specific pitcher. 

Also, the combined 58/32 stat includes intentional balls. So on a 4 pitch at bat where Bonds gets a hit on a 2-1 count, he shouldn't use 58/32 to simulate the remaining pitches.  The strike rate would be much higher on a 2-2 count.  

On 7/31/2019 at 7:50 AM, thestud said:

You and everyone else that gets all bent about steroids need to accept the fact that the overwhelming majority of players in that era, both football and baseball were on PED’s. Furthermore there is still a large amount of players that are still on plenty of banned substances.

Now, if you say F Barry Bonds because he’s a grade A douchebag prick then that’s something I’ll co-sign

Nah, man. He was taking better steroids than everyone else lol.

Ill never truly respect the baseball HOF until they let these guys in. You can’t just erase history and pretend like it didn’t happen. Let these guys in, give them their own wing of the HOF, and acknowledge that this era saved baseball. It was the most exciting era of baseball in my lifetime, and it isn’t even close. Anytime someone talks 90s, early aughts baseball, I’m all in on that conversation.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The other thing is yeah even if he still has a .608 obp, his ops drops over a thousand points and his rbi go way down, and his runs scored probably do as well. 

So yes him hitting without a bat does have a significant effect on his offensive efficiency. 

OPS should factor in stolen bases too even though it doesn't.  Bonds only had 6 that year though so wouldn't make much of a difference.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Nah, man. He was taking better steroids than everyone else lol.

Ill never truly respect the baseball HOF until they let these guys in. You can’t just erase history and pretend like it didn’t happen. Let these guys in, give them their own wing of the HOF, and acknowledge that this era saved baseball. It was the most exciting era of baseball in my lifetime, and it isn’t even close. Anytime someone talks 90s, early aughts baseball, I’m all in on that conversation.

Bonds was a 3 time MVP before he started in on the hardcore steroids.  He would be a for-sure HOFer if his early 90s stats projected forward for his entire career.  His game was different then, and arguably better, depending on how you analyze it.

In his 1993 MVP season, he had 123 RBIs and 365 Total Bases.

In his 2004 MVP season, he had 101 RBIs and 302 Total Bases.

In 93, he both drove in significantly more runs and had more total bases.  He also stole 29 bases.  Base stealing was the first thing to go once he hit the juice hard and had to buy all new hats and helmets.

Sure his OPS was stratospheric in 2004, but all those intentional walks only gave him one base and they took an AB away from his OPS calculation.  He also posted identical run totals in those 2 seasons, so all those walks weren't resulting in more runs.

I was living in SF in 2001. Went to probably 8 games that year, and he went yard in most of them. Towards the end of the season, every at bat was an electric moment. He would step to the plate and every flashbulb in the park would go off. If you were in a bar, everybody would stop and watch his AB's. I'm not a baseball purist, so I dont give a fuck that he juiced during an era that most players did. Greatest hitter of my lifetime, and it's not that close.

The baseball media was so hypocritical about the whole McGwire/Sosa/Bonds et al steroid situation it's ridiculous.  There's no way possible you could not have been aware of what was going on unless you were an absolute moron. They sing their praises for years then pretend to be shocked when word starts getting around...Bull fucking shit.

CSB time- a buddy and a went to a Giants-Astros game at Enron Field with front row Crawford Box seats ready to fuck with Bonds. The day before in whatever park they were at, a deep fly ball to the wall bounced out of Bonds glove for a home run. I said something like at least he can't drop one into the seats here, fully expecting him to ignore me, or tell me to fuck off. He turns around and says "Man I can't believe that happened! I was so pissed" ...he was actually really cool, at least that night.

He hit a home run and the Astros lost.../CSB 

• 2 weeks later...